Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 21, 2024 - @635.41 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  is it possible to do auto formatting/re-use html assets.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: is it possible to do auto formatting/re-use html assets.  (Read 181 times)
Bumperdog
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« on: August 14, 2024 @4.29 »

Hey there, every since I grew on knowing about html I have always wandered, is it possible to format a html by reusing pre-existing html formatting without having to copy it on the same page and have it all linked to a source?

It's basically sounds like the concept of CSS but re-using html files through a linked source.

I know one of the answers to this question could be easily iframes but their honestly quirky and are not meant for that purpose I'm trying to explain because I know a lot of people use iframes as a navigator bar either on the top or left side of their website. Meloon is a great example if you looked at the homepage of his website as clicking on any of the icons don't change the link and simply props the linked source in a box. And not just that, to many re-usable iframes could add lag connection performance to the website because of amount of sources it has to pull.

If were have to explain it to you as a comparison to further understand, think about how wiki's work. They sometimes will have a "stub" section that appears as a mini quote/rectangle box. There are also info boxes that are mainly used on wiki articles to list down a characters traits in a table section.

Here is a good example of what I can explain on how they do it in a wiki article such as listing info on a famous character like spongebob.
Code
[[stub]]

[[Char infobox|name = Spongebob|gender = Male|specious = Sponge]]

Now why ask such a question? Because one of things I want to do for my website is to automatically format infoboxes for my ocs but I don't really want to format one each individually and instead have it link to a source that can already do that for me, just only that I can make my own input.

One of my characters so far has a infobox and I wish I can just re-use it's formatting.

Link to my OC for anyone who is interested and wants a greater understanding. https://bumperdog.neocities.org/oc/poptheclown

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024 @15.96 »

Hey there, every since I grew on knowing about html I have always wandered, is it possible to format a html by reusing pre-existing html formatting without having to copy it on the same page and have it all linked to a source?

It's basically sounds like the concept of CSS but re-using html files through a linked source.

I know one of the answers to this question could be easily iframes but their honestly quirky and are not meant for that purpose I'm trying to explain because I know a lot of people use iframes as a navigator bar either on the top or left side of their website. Meloon is a great example if you looked at the homepage of his website as clicking on any of the icons don't change the link and simply props the linked source in a box. And not just that, to many re-usable iframes could add lag connection performance to the website because of amount of sources it has to pull.

If were have to explain it to you as a comparison to further understand, think about how wiki's work. They sometimes will have a "stub" section that appears as a mini quote/rectangle box. There are also info boxes that are mainly used on wiki articles to list down a characters traits in a table section.

Here is a good example of what I can explain on how they do it in a wiki article such as listing info on a famous character like spongebob.
Code
[[stub]]

[[Char infobox|name = Spongebob|gender = Male|specious = Sponge]]

Now why ask such a question? Because one of things I want to do for my website is to automatically format infoboxes for my ocs but I don't really want to format one each individually and instead have it link to a source that can already do that for me, just only that I can make my own input.

One of my characters so far has a infobox and I wish I can just re-use it's formatting.

Link to my OC for anyone who is interested and wants a greater understanding. https://bumperdog.neocities.org/oc/poptheclown

I don't think there's a real way to do it in native HTML, but jekyll has some nice templating options.

If you want to make a wiki, I'd recommend just linking to a mediawiki page.

new to oldnet be nice

Bumperdog
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024 @829.21 »

I don't think there's a real way to do it in native HTML, but jekyll has some nice templating options.

If you want to make a wiki, I'd recommend just linking to a mediawiki page.

I'm not really looking to try and make a full on wiki, I been through things like that before with Wikia/Fandom only because making a new wiki is free with only a few clicks (it's that easy) and I didn't like it. If I wanted to choose another option that's less ugly and corportate it would be hard because I don't know how to find a way to make a domain or how much will it cost.

I just want to infoboxes and on my oc pages in my own style.

And also, I only mention a wiki's formatting/source editing ([[stub] and [[infobox]]) as an example because it was the best way I can explain it. I'm not strictly wanting my website to be like a wiki.

I just want to the possible ways it can be made because I question on how all these more modern website use formatting since it's really advanced. There's no way that their NOT re-using the same assets. Heck, melonland forums do this, the website where on right now.

xixxii
Full Member ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Web 1.0 Picture Size Expertthe xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024 @839.78 »

yes, it is possible; it seems like you could just do what you want by copy and pasting? but there are more involved solutions if you want to use a lot of templates. the simplest way would be to use a static site generator like jekyll, as @candycanearter07 suggested. if i understand correctly (i don't use one myself!) these are set up specifically for this kind of template-based website-building!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

°˖ ✧-:game assets:・゚✧

Started by cinniBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 6
Views: 2259
Last post August 10, 2024 @53.38
by bugholder's epiphany
GUIDE: Mac - Quick compressing images for the web with Automator

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 0
Views: 1495
Last post June 05, 2022 @634.22
by Melooon
HTML Journal and the Neon Kiosk (Easy RSS feeds for site news)

Started by m15oBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 12
Views: 3414
Last post April 24, 2023 @816.79
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi