Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 25, 2024 - @594.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 26/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Tea Recommendations?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tea Recommendations?  (Read 304 times)
bugfeli
Casual Poster

at the end of everything, hold onto anything

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: bugfelii
iMood: bufeli

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 12, 2024 @554.32 »

i recently started drinking a lot of tea which has led me down a rabbit hole of wanting to try as many different teas as possible, totally not because a friend of mine gave me a pound of his hive's honey and i have nothing to use it with other than toast. although, any kind of tea would be nice to try, not just ones that pair well with honey. :dive:

i got a little tired of the tried and true southern sweet tea that i grew up on and made a switch to herbal tea just to reset my taste buds. i started off with chamomile since ive heard good things about it, and its really helped improve my mood and im not wasting money on energy drinks!

if anyone also happens to garden, i'd love to know some plants that go well with tea or could be used to make some delicious tea. thanks!

everything is ok!

BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024 @566.25 »

Welcome to the world of teas. :unite: It's a wonderfully relaxing drink. Even the ones with caffeine I find to have a relaxing effect on me. Couldn't get that from coffee!

Good choice to switch to herbal teas. There's a place for sweet tea but to me it takes away from what teas really are. Just experiment with all sorts of blends - weak/strong, fruity/herbal - to get a sense of what you like. I always recommend to work with leaves over pre-bought teabags; it just helps with identifying what exactly you are tasting/smelling. There's 'paper' teabags that you can buy to put the leaves in so they don't spread all over. Another important tip I have is to brew tea by the pot; a teabag filled to the brim is made to sit in a pot and simmer for a while (even if the packaging says otherwise!). If you do it by the glass, be careful not to add too much leaves; you really don't need a lot to reach peak flavour.

My personal preference is light teas with zero bitterness, like a gentle caress to the mouth... Ahem. My absolute favourite is green tea with cardamom. The sweet hints from the cardamom balance out the natural bitterness of the leaves perfectly. I can literally drink this forever. Add 2 spoons of green tea leaves and a pinch of ground cardamom to a teabag, and let that simmer in a teapot (around 1L) for a few minutes. Should you try it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :cheerR:

malice
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
PicMix: lacrymosa

View Profile WWW

Perfect Weather For Some Tea And Making ArtFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024 @591.63 »

Oh this is right up my alley!

For a nice Autumn-y vibe, I'd go with apple cinnamon (honey goes really well with this). Peppermint is a classic and it's wonderful for soothing an upset stomach! One of my personal favorites is this raspberry and rose hip tea that I had a few years ago and have yet to find again :ohdear: maybe you'll have better luck than me. Lavender is really nice, I drink it before bed to help me sleep. Don't be put off by floral teas, they're quite subtle and don't taste like you just ate a flower (that was my main concern with them before I gave them a shot). Berry teas are also wonderful, especially over ice!

any/all + ev/eva ae/aer

Alys
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Hiya It's Alys! ~<3

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: alys-realm
iMood: alysrealm

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024 @668.91 »

Ooh! Definitely gonna follow along with this topic!  :trash:  I too just finally started enjoying tea! I've made vanilla chai with a lil bit of milk and some cinnamon sprinkled on top. Its so so warm and comforting, the first time I made it I wanted to nuzzle my face on it like a cat lol :happy: I also had some apple-cinnamon chamomile blend a while back, which was also pretty good!

Does anyone have any good orange-ish (haha) flavored recommendations? More sweet than sour. I just really love the smell of a nice sweet juicy orange LOL

come to my realm, maybe?
Dibs
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Save the cheerleader, save the world!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024 @699.47 »

I'm from the UK so tea is my default drink and my default tea is something like English Breakfast -- specifically I drink Yorkshire Tea and their newer flavour 'biscuit brew' which is like the original but with a warm maltiness that smoothes out the bitterness even when you leave it brewing for ages. My mum got given a box of chai made by the parent company, Taylor's of Harrogate (which mostly does coffee, but they seem to put teas that dont use the Yorkshire Tea blend there too), and I've been enjoying that a lot too. It's got the strength of black tea and can be made with milk and sugar (a must for me) while also having a different, spiced flavour!

It might be a bit similar to your southern sweet tea, but at the most general level, I recommed hot black teas with milk and some form of sweetener -- a warm milky drink can't be beaten  :cheerR:

My flatmate has a cupboard full of teas; the ones I can remember are rooibos, green tea, and peppermint green tea -- rooibos especially intrigues me!

May not be the kind of recommendations you're after, but I thought I'd pitch in anyway!

Clear Skies!
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024 @741.18 »

I can highly recommend Green Rooibos (its fermented Rooibos). I prefer Green Tea over Black, and Chinese Green Tea over Japanese :).

My favorite green tea is sold here under the name "Nebeltee" (Fog-Tea); they say it comes from the Huangshan-Region, but I can't find out the english name. If you are interested, I can look up a few good teas that have Chinese names - should be easier to find internationally.

Also, I add Cardamon to my tea from time to time since I once drank it at an indian restaurant under the name "Kawa". It goes really well!

villain
Casual Poster ⚓︎

it/he/they

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Yellowest Scot AwardJoined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024 @495.14 »

Not sure if you can get this outside the UK but I've been drinking Yorkshire Tea Malty Biscuit Brew lately - its biscuit flavoured and smells amazing. Something about the tiny addition of malt makes it feel a lot more warming and hearty, I was surprised a novelty flavour worked so well (though of course tea and biscuits is a match made in heaven!)

Dibs
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Save the cheerleader, save the world!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2024 @505.23 »

Not sure if you can get this outside the UK but I've been drinking Yorkshire Tea Malty Biscuit Brew lately - its biscuit flavoured and smells amazing. Something about the tiny addition of malt makes it feel a lot more warming and hearty, I was surprised a novelty flavour worked so well (though of course tea and biscuits is a match made in heaven!)

Yessss, someone who gets it! They recently came out with a caramelised biscuit version which was also good -- you can definitely taste that extra element. I tell my friends about biscuitea and they are never convinced but it is wonderful.

Clear Skies!
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2024 @887.34 »

So many different types I haven't heard of being mentioned in here! My favorite is probably Jasmine Green tea, which can be made by many different manufacturers. Lately I've been drinking Twining's version, which is lovely.

I also like PG Tips, which finally made it over to the city I'm in. It's your standard English Breakfast tea, but it's got a great full flavor that I enjoy.

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2024 @940.79 »

There's so many teas I could recommend...

Chocolate Digestives Tea, Pudina Chai, Rose & Cardamom Chai, Bonfire Toffee Tea, Dark Choc Chilli Chai, London Fog Tea, lebkuchen salted caramel tea, spicy masala chai, pumpkin spiced chai... those are some of my faves.

CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2024 @189.65 »

Hi, tea drinker here! And gardener! Boy do I have recommendations for you!  :chef:

You said sweet tea, so I'm going to assume you're in the American South (like meeeeeeee). Did you know that the United States has a native plant that makes AWESOME tea? It's called Yaupon Holly. You should check out Yaupon Brothers American Tea Co. to get it commercially. They even sell Yaupon Holly bushes you can grow at home and make tea from yourself! They sell their tea in World Market. And the best part about Yaupon Holly Tea is that you can use the same bag multiple times without ending up with the dry tannin-y flavor that a regular Camellia sinensis tea produces after only 3-5 minutes of steeping. I used to get a box of their tea and put a baggie in my thermos with hot water before work. Then I would take my thermos and just refill it with hot water at the cafeteria hot water dispenser and leave the tea bag in ALL DAY. I used to get like three to five thermoses full of that tea off one bag. Obviously it becomes more dilute, but it was still relatively flavorful and comforting. 10/10 worth the money for a box of Yaupon Brothers Tea.

Another cool thing is that tea refers to the drink made from the Camellia sinensis plant, so technically "herbal teas" that don't contain the actual tea plant are "herbal infusions". You can make so many herbal infusions just by mixing and matching herbs and spices and putting them in a metal tea ball. Here are a few of my favorite combinations:

In a 1 tbsp tea ball, fill with 1/2 tbsp crushed rosehips, 1/4 tbsp Dandelion Root, 1/4 tbsp dried dandelion leaves. Steep in a pint mason jar filled with water overnight in the fridge. Drink the next day. It makes a nice sweet chilled iced tea because the rosehips are sweet and tart.

In a mortar and pestle, gently crush 5 cloves, 2 or 3 tbsp cacao nibs, and a whole cinnamon stick. Place this mixture in a glass jar. Add and equivalent (or larger) amount of Spice & Tea Exchange Hazelnut Cookie Tea to the jar with the spice mixture. Shake to evenly mix, then scoop some into a 1 tbsp tea ball to make yourself a cup. It's like a holiday spiced Nutella tea.

Citrus teas are easy to make. When you get lemons and oranges, save the peels and dry in the oven at lowest possible temp for and hour or so until completely dry (usually 170 to 200 degrees, lower and slower is better). Crush the dried peels in a mortar and pestle and then mix with lemongrass and lemon verbena!

If you have a pet cat that likes catnip, it is worth growing a catnip plant in your garden. A plain catnip infusion can be drank and enjoyed by both the human and the cat! For you, dear human, it can also be blended with other herbs.

In the United States, there are some Buddhist temples. If you have a Chinese Buddhist Temple somewhat in your area, you should check if they do Gung Fu Tea Ceremony, which is typically done with Oolong. If you ever have the opportunity to participate in tea ceremony (Chinese Gung Fu, Japanese Tea Ceremony with Matcha, etc...) take the opportunity! It is meditative and the Tea Master will guide you in fully appreciating the taste, smell mouth feel, and color of the tea.

Herbal infusions should be made with boiling hot water, but the Camellia sinensis teas require more temperature control. Green and White teas should especially NOT be made with fully boiling piping hot water since this can damage the tea leave and lead to unwanted dry and tannin-y flavors. As a rule of thumb, I cut the heat on my pot for my green tea right before the water starts barely boiling, but when it is just hot enough to steam a little. Spice & Tea Exchange has a guide on the proper temperatures for the different types of teas!

Welcome to the world of tea! It's a great place to be!  :4u:  :ozwomp:

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2024 @891.78 »

You said sweet tea, so I'm going to assume you're in the American South (like meeeeeeee). Did you know that the United States has a native plant that makes AWESOME tea? It's called Yaupon Holly. You should check out Yaupon Brothers American Tea Co. to get it commercially. They even sell Yaupon Holly bushes you can grow at home and make tea from yourself! They sell their tea in World Market. And the best part about Yaupon Holly Tea is that you can use the same bag multiple times without ending up with the dry tannin-y flavor that a regular Camellia sinensis tea produces after only 3-5 minutes of steeping. I used to get a box of their tea and put a baggie in my thermos with hot water before work. Then I would take my thermos and just refill it with hot water at the cafeteria hot water dispenser and leave the tea bag in ALL DAY. I used to get like three to five thermoses full of that tea off one bag. Obviously it becomes more dilute, but it was still relatively flavorful and comforting. 10/10 worth the money for a box of Yaupon Brothers Tea.

Ok, I got about halfway through this paragraph before I realized that I actually GREW UP with Youpon trees in my front yard, but I did not recognize that because I always thought it was spelled with a J :drat: like "Japon"

Thank you for the link! I'm all about trying new things, and I love native plants! I will be ordering some of this to try out!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2024 @960.54 »

These are the two tea's I enjoy, Barry's and Campbell's! Both are what you'd call english breakfast teas. Barry's is a little nicer, but Campbell's comes in a lovely big traditional tin! I'm not sure about Campbell's but I have seen Barry's for sale in the import section of some supermarkets in the US, particularity if there is a large Irish diaspora.

I highly recommenced giving them a try if you enjoy that sort of tea; I consider milk essential for both ~ if you don't drink milk, oat milk works, but its just not as good in this tea! I also like to make my tea quite strong; it should turn a kind of golden coffeeish colour when the milk is added!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
sisterdiecut
Newbie ⚓︎

peace & love on planet earth :-)

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2024 @194.31 »

I second mint/ginger teas! I feel like you can never go wrong w/ a mint tea, regardless of the brand or if it's homemade :)

one that may be an acquired taste (but which I really enjoy) is barley tea! it has a cozy, slightly toasted flavor that's comforting in colder weather, but also really nice iced in summer months. be warned, though, that some people think it tastes like Bread Water, lol  :grin:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Anime recommendations please!

Started by pleb-hates-the-modern-webBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 9
Views: 2169
Last post November 27, 2022 @760.84
by Nines
recommendations (horror manga)

Started by MeiChanKawaiBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 2
Views: 1032
Last post December 30, 2022 @541.70
by sig
Laptop Recommendations

Started by MemoryBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 17
Views: 1840
Last post September 16, 2023 @130.20
by Salty

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi