Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @198.17
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 802.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: inconvenience is counterculture :eyes: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  Scanning Barcodes to Log Your DVDs/Games/Books/etc


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Scanning Barcodes to Log Your DVDs/Games/Books/etc  (Read 342 times)
tanuki
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


Surfing the Web
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tanuki
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: tanuki
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanCubone, I Choose You!Joined 2024!
« on: Summer, 28 Aug 2026 @082 » Embed

Hi all! I wanted to start a discussion on here about logging your physical media. This can be useful for loaning items out to friends, sharing on your website, looking up what you own to prevent buying duplicates, or even insurance purposes.

I have tried manually logging many items in my own CSV files, but found it tedious and lacking important details. I had heard of some folks using barcode scanners to help with this. I've recently bought one for ~$25 and found libib.com that allows looking up of various UPC/ISBNs to log into collections. It seems to be pretty respectful of your privacy, lets you export your data, and does not seem to have a limit on number of items that can be scanned.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this site - or with scanning barcodes and logging their physical media? What are some of your recommendations on tracking all of the DVDs, CDs, Blu-Rays, Vinyl Records, Video Games across a dozen systems, etc.

Logged
Seechain
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 28 Aug 2026 @794 » Embed

How about looking for some old video club management software? :pc:
It should take care of everything you need and more. :eyes:

Logged

Senkusha
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #2 on: Autumn, 26 Sep 2026 @536 » Embed

I work with barcodes all day in Retail.  I have an app on my phone that stores a database of bar codes, called BarCode Architect.  It can scan barcodes, and you can manually create barcodes.  You would also need a method of printing out the barcodes on label paper if you went this route.

But essentially, it sounds like what you need is a Database.  And there's a crapton of database software available.  Personally, if I were doing this project, I'd probably create a MySQL database and use a PHP webpage front end, so that I can access my database from anywhere, control the layout of the information, and color code to my own personal tastes.  But then again, I've got just enough knowledge to be dangerous!

Logged

--Senkusha,
Resident Anime Misfit, Role-playing Goddess, Webmistress of Prismatica!
Anime Role Playing and Discussion
sokil
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


i bet you're reading this right now
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: sokil
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Autumn, 26 Sep 2026 @731 » Toggle Font Embed

for records/cassettes/CDs, i highly recommend discogs! it can be a little tricky as it'll list several different versions of some items for the same barcode if that's something you're curious about, but i don't really worry much about that. i categorize mine by release type and i find it super useful; it's often the first thing i open after i visit a record store hahahaha.

for books, i believe storygraph has a barcode scanning feature as well. i don't use this one too often, though, as i don't always log the books i own. storygraph, for me, is more of a tool to keep track of books that look interesting and plan to read as well as what i'm currently reading.

Logged

a drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind

https://files.catbox.moe/6ta8u6.pnghttps://files.catbox.moe/dbu2l7.pnghttps://files.catbox.moe/t54dls.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe