Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @164.12
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 836.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :seal: Thank you for today! :seal: Guild Events: 14: animals
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  my SSD of 4 or 5 years (pretty much) passed away


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: my SSD of 4 or 5 years (pretty much) passed away  (Read 183 times)
sharkplushes
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


huh? what?
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« on: Autumn, 26 Sep 2026 @993 » Toggle Font Embed

i should've seen the signs, in hindsight.

file system troubles for the past month. today, i was writing down some documents for a commission i took on, when suddenly my file system became read-only. i tried everything i could to fix it. i even updated the BIOS on my computer. but after some research... it was true. my SSD was on its way out.

it's embarrassing to admit, but i cried and cried over it today. i wasnt upset that i had lost some space on my computer. i wasnt upset because of potential data loss. i was upset because my computer was showing its age. ive had this thing since 2022. they just dont make em like the used to, i guess... which is silly to say because i built this machine.

that said, i had basically a machine i was gonna use for a home server... so i gutted it to take out it's HDD. its better than nothing, and its practically brand new since i never got to a point where i could utilize the machine.

i feel better now with this HDD ready to go, and after some brownie bites. AND miraculously, i managed to get stuff off of the old SSD. so not MUCH data was entirely lost.

what to do in this situation... i'd love to hear your thoughts. did you ever mourn over a computer or computer parts before?

Logged

Mezzaluna
Newbie
*
View Profile


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Plant RuneyJoined 2025!Sparkle on!white yappin kittay
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 26 Sep 2026 @062 » Embed

I'm sorry that happened to you. Losing anything with that many memories would be devastating to anyone, but I'm glad you were able to salvage some of it.

I was also in a similar situation, but had 2 external SSDs that I would backup regularly. I was able to save one of them, but looking back I wish I had also had a backup on the cloud too. I'm still looking into that though so if anyone has recommendations let me know! :dive:

There's a saying somewhere that "if you have one, then you have none" when it comes to backing up your stuff. Especially if you're a creative, losing all those hours of writing, drawing, whatever and the only copy in existence was on your computer I'd cry too. I don't see many artists talk about their backups or its always an afterthought. Cloud storage seems expensive depending where you look so I get the hesitation.

Logged
sharkplushes
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


huh? what?
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #2 on: Autumn, 26 Sep 2026 @124 » Toggle Font Embed

I don't see many artists talk about their backups or its always an afterthought. Cloud storage seems expensive depending where you look so I get the hesitation.

i'd love to just be able to selfhost something... get a NAS maybe. but that costs about an arm and a leg... i do back up my art at least, from time to time. i have several years archived on one of my expansions. that said, i should really look into something more long term.

at least in the meantime, ive found a tool for linux that can automate backups. thats nice.

Logged

cyberfun1 (dizz)
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I dont🧠dat evrythngs a lie, as long as u ♡me 4evr
⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Wishing you Happy Times when you're online!20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Autumn, 26 Sep 2026 @244 » Toggle Font Embed

What brand of SSD did you buy? Ive heard alot of stories about SSDs failing all the time. I think they just degrade from heat and use over time.
I have a bunch of DVDs and CDs i use to back stuff up. I have stuff from my phone from 2022 that I'm glad I saved because my brother decided to factory reset my phone.

Logged

https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/FRIENDSHIPISMAGIC.png
https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/TAPEHERO.png
https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/EMOTICONUSER.gif
https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/XBOX360.png
https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/FIREFOXUSER.jpg
https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/NYANCAT.gif
https://diffydude.neocities.org/blinkies/BISEXUAL.png

Artifact Swap: I met Dan Q on Melonland!
sharkplushes
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


huh? what?
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #4 on: Autumn, 27 Sep 2026 @118 » Toggle Font Embed

What brand of SSD did you buy?
it was a samsung. so i've heard, apparently around the time i bought this thing... samsung apparently shipped out a ton of bad SSDs? and i guess i got caught up in that..

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe