Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @97.85 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Portable CD Players in 2023?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Portable CD Players in 2023?  (Read 791 times)
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: February 09, 2023 @936.71 »

Like, how else would you get to legally own and listen to uncompressed music nowadays? :ohdear:

I'm thinking of buying a used Sony D-141 Discman and use it with my Philips SHP9600 headphones, after watching this wonderful guide on YouTube:

But...can it even properly drive them? I'm not yet knowledgeable enough about all the audiophile terms and technical details. I want to get the best possible quality!

And there's no actual better alternative right? Except stationary options.

Though who am I kidding, I mostly just want to use discs!

So, does any of you still use a portable CD player? :cheesy:

Colliewood
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Ca-caww!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023 @944.91 »

I don't have one of these (yet) but I love getting looks when I tell people I have a Sony Walkman. That is just the brand they use to make mp3 players but I oh-so love my mp3 player to bits. I have lots of CD's laying around everywhere though that a Discman would be just as cool.

She/Her Canadian anarchist. Mythological Post-Modern Urban/Folk-Gothic Decolonial of 26 years
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023 @959.90 »

Pro tip: ask older people you know (45-65) whether they still have dusty old devices somewhere in a box or in the basement. My dad gave me both a Sony Diskman ESR and a portable tape player just like that.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023 @15.80 »

Like, how else would you get to legally own and listen to uncompressed music nowadays?

While I totally support carrying around a DiscMan and a pile of CDs - IF you need a practical alternate - ripping the CDs as lossless FLACs and playing them back on a modern Hi-Res portable player like a Sony A40 or A55.. or A306?? (there are a bunch) Walkman is a VERY good and convent option - plus you still get to collect CDs! :ha:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023 @18.63 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023 @26.86 »

Also an option! I had no idea these existed :ozwomp:

Though it seems to be mostly out of stock and far more expensive than a Discman, but of course offers more capabilities. Also Sony claims it to be higher than CD quality?!

Enjoy the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound in higher than CD quality with High-Resolution Audio. Passion for music unites every component from signal to speaker, so it feels like the artist is performing right in front of you.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023 @45.83 »

Though it seems to be mostly out of stock and far more expensive than a Discman, but of course offers more capabilities. Also Sony claims it to be higher than CD quality?!

CD quality is totally fine and very good sounding - but its only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to hi-res audio! I have "Pure Heroine" by Lorde in that 24 bit 96khz quality.. and... it is super deep and nice to listen to! I don't think its a big enough difference to stress about, but is there, and maybe worth it on some albums - 99% of the time though CD quality is perfect :grin: 

(Also its important to note - those old DiscMen are prob not playing back full CD quality - even in the 2000s you needed a fancy stereo to get the most out of a CD)

Annndd agreed - the Sony Walkman line is a mess at the moment - Id love to get one.. but they just haven't made the perfect one for me yet. You can also look up a company called Fiio, they make good players too (Just without the Walkman branding :sad:smile:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023 @55.35 »

And here I thought that CDs are the highest quality you can possibly get. I guess I'm out of touch :TnT:

Oh but you had me worried now, you're saying that Discmans don't offer a perfect CD playback? I thought they did and the rest only depended on the quality of your headphones/sound system...

(And thanks for the recommendation)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023 @59.65 by WingsOfImagination » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023 @69.54 »

Sooo a CD is basically a data storage medium - it stores digital audio data (of a particular quality that was defined in the 1980s); e.g. its a bunch of 1s and 0s pressed into a plastic disc - a laser reads those 1s and 0s, and converts them into electrical 1s and 0s, and then something called a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) turns the 1s and 0s into analogue electrical audio - then your headphones turn that into something your ears can hear!

Assuming the data on the CD is a great quality - after that the DAC is the important bit - you can have a basic lil DAC that is just a chip and goes inside your phone - or you can have a HUGE expensive one that sits under your stereo! The job of the DAC is to figure out how to take digital data and turn it into something that sounds good - and it has to do it reaallly fast and really accurately!
DACs have improved a LOT in the last 20 years, old Sony ones were definitely the best you could get in a portable player 20 years ago, but you could also get much better ones in a big stereo.. today things are very different! You can get tiny DACs now that totally smoke even the best ones from the 2000s!

After all that your headphones are really important! So its a 3 step process - Good Audio Recording > Good DAC > Good Headphones!

Its a rabbit hole I went down about 5 years ago.. these days I don't worry about it so much, but I do still appreciate having some decent equipment! :grin:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023 @92.03 by Melooon » Logged

WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023 @77.25 »

Thank you for the helpful explanation!

I'll think of what to end up doing, but of course I'll try to not be too picky about it since from what I've seen too it is indeed a rabbit hole that will never end haha :dive:

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023 @90.90 »

I should look into getting a Discman. I mostly listen to Cassettes, and use CDs just for ripping tracks to my computer, but whenever I actually use the CD in a player, it feels oddly weird and nostalgic, especially when you listen to a 90s album!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
BritKnee
Casual Poster ⚓︎

StatusCafe: britknee
iMood: BritKnee

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023 @696.20 »

I have no clue what my CD player really is but I know its a portable one (by Citizen) from 1993... it sounds fine to my ears and pretty good on my stereo. I also have a busted HI-HI 1996 phillips CD player

TrAnarchoCommunist Extraordinaire

MSN: britknee14
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Melon's Computer Setup 2023!

Started by MelooonBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 11
Views: 1908
Last post May 31, 2023 @951.46
by Melooon
Cassette Tapes and Players

Started by DoctorDizzyBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 14
Views: 1069
Last post January 16, 2024 @222.96
by Yaya
MP3 players!

Started by JackFrostBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 29
Views: 1942
Last post September 17, 2023 @497.97
by arsenicCatnip

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi