Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @936.28 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 35/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  How do I make friends online without using data-hungry social media?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How do I make friends online without using data-hungry social media?  (Read 1189 times)
angel-val
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« on: February 28, 2023 @291.67 »

Since I transitioned away from using (most) social media run by big companies (deleted my twitter, instagram, and discord accounts but I just can't replace reddit* or youtube), I've found it difficult to make the kind of firm online connections that I used to, and as great as real-life friends are it's not easy to find someone who's into all the nerdy shit I am IRL :ok:

It's hard to make up for the loss of something like discord, and matrix has come close, but it has essentially zero discoverability so it's been hard to find any spaces that isn't filled with neckbeards and stuck-up elitists.

I have met a few people (hi memo and luna!), but I haven't found any servers bigger than a few people that feel like somewhere I want to spend time chatting**.

Have y'all who don't use big tech socials been able to find any spaces online where they are comfortable frequently chatting? If so, do you have any pointers, or just places where I can hang out?

---

*if you could let me know of any good small-web-related subs that would be awesome, I've looked and I couldn't find anything but I imagine that's just the nature of the beast isn't it lol

**if anyone can suggest or point me to somewhere nice, I'd appreciate it!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023 @293.32 by angel-val » Logged
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023 @322.65 »

Well uh... this forum is certainly a great start <:O) I've already made a few here and am frequently having letter-type conversations (among normal ones) with one. I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for specifically, but you might have good luck forming some bonds with people by emailing anybody you find on some place like Neocities if they seem like they'd make a good friend.

What's nice about this part of the web is the fact that a lot of people have entire websites that tell you who they are and what they enjoy. It definitely takes some looking (and maybe luck), but it's worth it in my book. You can even start your own chatroom with all the people you find if you have something that allows you to.

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023 @404.97 »

It is definitely harder, but generally the rule of thumb is (just like in real life) to interact in spaces that are tailored to your interests; like you are doing right now already!

Forums, game servers, chat rooms, fan sites, even mailing lists. Without social media, this is a bit more difficult since most of those meetup spaces are using unethical services like Discord, Facebook or Twitter, but if you're proactive and willing to put a mail or two out there every once in a while when you see a cool person's site, that should do the trick.

For example, before social media, I found good friends on my country's major Minecraft forum because we bonded over being queer; we built a user group (it was a feature back in the days), made a chat room for that friend group, played things together and eventually I started dating one of them and now we've been together for eight years.
:transport:
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023 @636.48 »

Well uh... this forum is certainly a great start <:O) I've already made a few here and am frequently having letter-type conversations (among normal ones) with one.

That aside, I think the best way to make friends is to just be active in communities you like.. Then when you find someone you think is interesting you can go forth and Email them or other forms of personal contact that user has.
I'm not too sure about sources for chatrooms to use and the like, but i hope someone shares some alternatives for you!

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023 @327.37 »

It's about knowing the alternatives. Being then able, to present them to the peers. And being radical to stick with them no matter what others say or suggest.

For voice chatting for example, I use to the old Teamspeak 2. There are a lot of public servers available with most of them being empty. Almost like the former game clans forgot to shut them down 15 years ago. Everyone can step in...

With a couple of people from all over the world, we have set up a meeting every Wednesday evening to play some old Windows games.

I think doing these things regularly helps, too. It all started with a couple of shared interests and the knowledge of how to connect our voices via our Windows 98 machines.
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023 @421.78 »

*if you could let me know of any good small-web-related subs that would be awesome, I've looked and I couldn't find anything but I imagine that's just the nature of the beast isn't it lol

there’s a subreddit for neocities users (r/neocities) which is probably as close as you can get but it’s mostly just a place to ask for site making help that won’t get you 200 lines of javascript, three google analytics trackers, and broken css

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023 @431.83 »

Since this topic was posted, we also had a lively debate on making friends in the web revival here:

https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=1162
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023 @389.53 »

Not gonna lie, I find it nearly impossible to make friends even on social media. The only one that has worked for me since the fall of forums has been Discord.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023 @425.88 »

Not gonna lie, I find it nearly impossible to make friends even on social media. The only one that has worked for me since the fall of forums has been Discord.

I have to agree, honestly.

On Twitter et al, the only interaction that two people have is liking each other's posts, which does "lead" nowhere, and in the rare event that we do talk, it's because someone commented something on a one-off post and perhaps there is a bit of a back and forth; but ultimately, it's going to be gone as soon as the post is old enough to be irrelevant. PMing someone feels like it has to be bound to a purpose, like a question to ask, otherwise it's awkward.

Whereas on Discord, people can just do things, like streaming a game they're playing, and others can join in without expectations, without an express purpose. When both dare, they can start holding small talk and eventually they might find things they are interested in and hold a lively conversation; this is friendship budding!

I think the biggest issue is that small talk is effectively dead online because everything has to be about something, have a purpose. A thread in a forum has to have a topic, a PM or e-mail is supposed to be about something and once that topic has been solved, it's over. Nothing is just a room where people hang out without a reason anymore, except Discord.

That's why I think a forum IRC would be amazing to have: it's just a chatroom where people can join in and talk to others, and that's how people get talking in the first place and form friendships.

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023 @440.47 »

On Twitter et al, the only interaction that two people have is liking each other's posts, which does "lead" nowhere, and in the rare event that we do talk, it's because someone commented something on a one-off post and perhaps there is a bit of a back and forth; but ultimately, it's going to be gone as soon as the post is old enough to be irrelevant. PMing someone feels like it has to be bound to a purpose, like a question to ask, otherwise it's awkward.

Yeah, I really used to think that the mutuals and "oomfies" I saw on Twitter and who sometimes commented on each other's posts were actually friends but eventually realized that these people didn't have any other interaction with each other and it's just like you described.
Zusk
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: zusk

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023 @474.42 »

I found a great way to meet people is just keeping yourself BUSY  :transport:
You only have so much time on earth, you know. You got to make the most of it. Reach out to people, engage in creative hobbies, try to control how much time you spend surfing the web/binging youtube/playing 'timewaster' type games.

Going here and joining this community is a great showing of initiative! Keep at it. :4u:
lonelyjuly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

space, man

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lonelyjuly
iMood: lonelyjuly

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023 @66.44 »

Although I've recently discovered the web revival side of the internet, I've found that losing the friends that I've made on Discord isn't all that worth it. Sure, Discord isn't the best platform to steer away from having your privacy invaded, but it's honestly the only way I can actively find people that have the same interests as me without go too far away from this side too.

Idk. To each their own? :P

>"He who enters the arena is infinitely more honorable than he who watches from the stands"

lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023 @285.82 »

idk if it's mentioned in this topic but many people prefer irl communication as only social media alternative.

hovewer, people probably didn't made any friend irl or made at least one so idk if i should recommend it

pinkvampyr
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Claire (he/him) pink/black color combo enjoyer

StatusCafe: pinkvampyr
iMood: pinkvampyr
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023 @695.36 »

I abandoned my main Twitter (I really should just delete it) and I use my other one just for lurking because there are some horror artists and game creators I'm really into, and I recently decided to take a good long break from Tumblr because I was just getting aggravated all the time, and I might go so far as deleting or remaking an account again just for lurking.

I can't let go of discord yet though....I have a really good friend group there and I'm alone a lot :^( so I don't have many alternatives to socializing, plus we can play video games and watch stuff together. I might try to push for us to move to matrix or something because discord is getting so bad. still I'm eager to find more forums and obscure social media to try and fill that hole.

div
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023 @315.03 »

It's very difficult to make friends on the Internet these days no matter what services you use. People are very plugged in. When you're talking to someone, they are only half paying attention to you. In group chats and on Twitter, it feels like you're just screaming into the void. People are less comfortable talking one on one, since there are so many scammers and shady people. So what difference does it make?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2055
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Gans
An enemy from the game I'm trying to make

Started by Grafo VolaveruntBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 1412
Last post March 22, 2022 @61.42
by Grafo Volaverunt
Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2345
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi