Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @451.78 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 53/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Feature discussion - Reactions or Likes

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Feature discussion - Reactions or Likes  (Read 936 times)
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« on: March 10, 2023 @648.65 »

~Admin note: this thread has been split from the main Feature Requests thread because its a good discussion and others should be able to find it in the future ^^

Would it be possible to implement emoticon reactions for posts? Sometimes I feel like I want to acknowledge someones post but if I don't have anything worthwhile to add in a full post I'd rather do something like react to it.
That being said, I do realize that's tip-toeing on the line between old web and new web... so I wouldn't lose sleep over this request being denied  :ok:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023 @765.13 by Melooon » Logged

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023 @703.66 »

Would it be possible to implement emoticon reactions for posts? Sometimes I feel like I want to acknowledge someones post but if I don't have anything worthwhile to add in a full post I'd rather do something like react to it.
That being said, I do realize that's tip-toeing on the line between old web and new web... so I wouldn't lose sleep over this request being denied  :ok:

i'd support this to be honest - i'm all for taking the best of the new web and old web and squishing things together to make a new new web.

i know that a lot of my friends and people i know my age don't use forums because they require a significant amount of content in each message (fair enough: a forum's a forum) or they feel that it's too difficult to express tone, react to things and let others know that you've seen and acknowledged what they've said.

i feel it a little too, when i made my introductory post: had the urge like i do with other sites to leave a thumbs up or smiley on replies to my original post just to say that i had seen what others had said and appreciated it!!

think it'd be cool in bringing folks that have grown up with the modern web on board forums again :D

i go by j, she/they :)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023 @706.24 »

A good compromise between @Inkerlink 's emoticon reactions (which I think would be a negative; the fact that we are forced to write posts to react to something leads to more interesting, respectful and detailed interaction) and none at all, would be: simple likes; those existed in a lot of forums.

HOWEVER, I think that these are often used to build resentment and bully people. Imagine having a long form, respectful argument (like the art crediting ones) where the other person gets 20 likes and you get like one; it builds resentment, humiliation and feels like ganging up on people. It feels like people don't value your argument or input and would rather you shut up and concede in the face of "ratio".

Plus, people are known to let like counts influence their opinions. Something with a lot of likes is viewed as trustworthy, which can build cliques.

HOWEVER AGAIN, my final idea would be to implement likes, but only for threads, not comments. That'd curb argument-siding reaction spam and would still be able to push up cool content and reward people. But honestly, we already have profile awards...

But I still feel like reaction/like counters build an unhealthy way of interacting with people where the forum becomes a game of farming likes more than interacting. I'd vote against the whole idea. Maybe we should instead normalize writing short acknowledgements like 'Thanks!' more often to the same effect.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023 @708.22 »

On Discord, Twitter, Facebook and so on reactions are very often used to ridicule, laugh at or participate in an argument, implicitly to hurt the ego of the "losing" side.

I disagree with the idea of adapting our world just to draw in people from the toxic web and grow in numbers; if they like it there, they can stay there, and we keep our doors open instead for people who want to get away from all that and who actually like what we have.
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023 @716.46 »

A good compromise between @Inkerlink 's emoticon reactions (which I think would be a negative; the fact that we are forced to write posts to react to something leads to more interesting, respectful and detailed interaction) and none at all, would be: simple likes; those existed in a lot of forums.

HOWEVER, I think that these are often used to build resentment and bully people. Imagine having a long form, respectful argument (like the art crediting ones) where the other person gets 20 likes and you get like one; it builds resentment, humiliation and feels like ganging up on people. It feels like people don't value your argument or input and would rather you shut up and concede in the face of "ratio".

Plus, people are known to let like counts influence their opinions. Something with a lot of likes is viewed as trustworthy, which can build cliques.

HOWEVER AGAIN, my final idea would be to implement likes, but only for threads, not comments. That'd curb argument-siding reaction spam and would still be able to push up cool content and reward people. But honestly, we already have profile awards...

But I still feel like reaction/like counters build an unhealthy way of interacting with people where the forum becomes a game of farming likes more than interacting. I'd vote against the whole idea. Maybe we should instead normalize writing short acknowledgements like 'Thanks!' more often to the same effect.

Yeah that's a good point, I wouldn't want it to become a popularity contest or anything like that. And I agree there is a chance it would bring down high quality engagement. I suppose if I don't have anything worthwhile to add to a conversation then that's fine in and of itself, I don't ALWAYS have to make my acknowledgement known. I guess if I particularly like a post I could always just send the person a nice profile comment or DM instead.

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023 @758.34 »

Iv thought about this topic a lot and Im surprised it's taken so long for someone to request reactions, but today is the day  :smile:

It's something that we technically can do; both multi-emote reactions or a traditional like system - however Im in the same camp as @/home/user/, my own experiences with reactions have always been quite negative; either I get stressed that I'm not getting enough likes, or Im stressed because people are using them against me, without giving me the dignity of a fair discussion. The issue is in the name "reaction" - our first reactions are usually wrong; it's better to value people who can slow down and provide a considered and thoughtful response.

It's a fair argument to say that it's nice to get or provide acknowledgement, but I also think that many people have a really unhealthy relationship with acknowledgement; your value does not come from the reaction of others, it comes from your existence. Even if 6 months pass before your post gets a response, you should trust that your words have value. One of the biggest differences between social media and personal websites is the lack of feedback; you're forced to enjoy what you have made, not the response others give to it; and I think that applies here too.

I don't really support the idea of normalising short replies either; saying "Thanks" doesn't really offer much - Instead, I would encourage people to look at the person they are engaging with, study their site or interests and give a genuine and thoughtful response to them e.g. "Thanks, I really like the colour on your site; it's cool that you like woodwork, Iv never been able to work with my hands; but I'm curious to know what you enjoy about it?" etc - that makes it about opening up discussions and making room for discoveries.

From what I've seen; the main thing people want from the web revival is genuine and positive connections with others; but those connections require work, and taking the time to write responses and trust that your voice will be heard even if it gets no reaction right away is one of the foundation stones of building connections; not just with others, but also with yourself.

I guess I could be dramatic and say that reactions de-value humanity; maybe it's not so dramatic, but maybe it is  :tongue: If part of the web revival is about giving people back their worth online; I think that genuine silence is better than an empty acknowledgement; and you're all worth time and a considered response instead of an easy thumbs up  :defrag:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023 @761.06 »

I completely agree with what @Melooon said and I think that a great place to see the value in the current approach is in the introduction and greeting threads. Usually (on Discord and Facebook), introductions to groups are to simply get "wave" reactions from the whole community, with actual comments being pretty rare.

But because now acknowledgement requires posting something textual, plenty of people are looking at the new member's site, comment on their hobbies or interests, or even find things they have in common!

This made me feel super welcome when I joined and is, I think, also a reason why people feel warm and at home here.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023 @810.54 »

I vote against as well: we'd be adding another 'meta' element to the discussion which is not really necessary I feel. I like thow the current trend in forum features is all about customization without diluting the discussion. Part of me would like to see them added, but that's the part of me wanting those sweet internet points and should not be listened to :evil:

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023 @457.73 »

Clearly dislike (heh, how comical in this topic).

And don't beg for a reaction on your posts. Especially a numerical value of a post. This is not a competition. This is a message board and communication is no competition either (except in business).

These programming sites out there do the voting system well. Because things are on point. For computer problems, a solution either works or it doesn't. Secondary are aesthetics, many solutions will lead to the finish, but some are easier. That's where a voting system shines, promoting the best answer usually, but the second best might be interesting too, and so on... 

But this forum is mostly chilled talking. "Like farming" would increase the amount of scrap posts being made. An "ignore posts" function would counterplay that somewhat, or not showing the numbers at all, of how many reactions someone got. But that would be patching up an avoidable self-made problem. Melon said it all.
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023 @863.36 »

I think ComicFury forum does the 'like' feature well: only you can see likes on your post, and you can't see likes (or lack of thereof) on others' posts.

That pretty much avoids the negative usage of likes and potential like-bullying that people have mentioned. The importance of likes is also halved - if no one can see how liked or not-liked your posts are, then like farming stops being useful. It's not a social currency anymore.

That, of course, does not solve the problem of wanting 'internet points' solely for your own posterity and getting insecure for not getting them, but for me personally it does lessen it. Likes become rare when they are not important, something you consciously get out of your way to click instead of liking everything and everyone, so getting many stops being a thing that happens, and therefore stops being a goal.

I will admit I do sometimes have the urge to express 'hey, yeah, this!' or a similar emotion while not having anything to add to the overall conversation. And inflating those three words into a proper post sometimes feels too disingenuous (kinda like having to hit a certain amount of words on a school essay but you've already said everything you wanted), not at all productive. I do try to find genuine things to add most of the time (as you can imagine, looking at my posts' size, that's often not a problem), but if I don't feel I can - I end up not interacting positively at all... I'd say for those cases a small private "yup" would be good.

But also I won't suffer for their absence. Just suggesting a system I've seen working that does not create 'like anxiety' in me!

(maybe I should start making gifts to users for posts i especially like, ehe. just wait till i hit 100 posts first)

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 244
Views: 20862
Last post April 18, 2024 @791.28
by formadscience
The discussion about online friends being or not being 'real friends'

Started by HayleyMulchBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 15
Views: 1318
Last post May 13, 2023 @508.63
by lime360
Best Souls-likes

Started by GuestBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 545
Last post March 13, 2023 @454.14
by debleb

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi