Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @145.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  Analog Glitching

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Analog Glitching  (Read 617 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: March 12, 2023 @969.62 »

The thread about audacity glitching pictures reminds me of my love for glitches as art, my only issue being a lot of ways that glitch art can be made is just websites that add some lame overlay. I adore glitching things with actual hardware, software and more natural means. I know I can do stuff with circuit bending, pointing a vhs camera at a CRT and maybe weird stuff with amps; but is there a way I can do it without more hardware? How could I naturally create glitches in images, audio or video through my pc and some more software or weird methods?

I'd also love to see any that you all have made! I find it super interesting to see naturally made glitches and it would be so cool to see what you've done!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023 @110.28 »

When I first got my new laptop (which was originally used as a hackintosh) there was a issue with the display were whenever you turned on the laptop purple lines would start running up the screen this continued until the display would start to flicker with some static effect before going to pitch black with a short lived static noise as it went to black. The only way to undo this would be to close the lid and open it again, and the purple lines issue would be resolved until you turned it off or let it sleep for a long while.

We had to buy a new display for the laptop, I would love to show it to you but I don't think I have recorded evidence.

Moral of the story: If you want to see natural glitches, get a display with a issue that is worth recording for a YouTube video.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023 @116.08 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023 @247.04 »

if you're looking to mess with and distort images in a easy-to-do way, then i really recommend imagemagick - it's a neat minimal bit of kit thats cross-platform and open source that lets you apply all sorts of effects and snazzy markups to images :))

have fun with your found footage-style art!

i go by j, she/they :)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023 @566.66 »

When I first got my new laptop (which was originally used as a hackintosh) there was a issue with the display were whenever you turned on the laptop purple lines would start running up the screen this continued until the display would start to flicker with some static effect before going to pitch black with a short lived static noise as it went to black. The only way to undo this would be to close the lid and open it again, and the purple lines issue would be resolved until you turned it off or let it sleep for a long while.

We had to buy a new display for the laptop, I would love to show it to you but I don't think I have recorded evidence.

Moral of the story: If you want to see natural glitches, get a display with a issue that is worth recording for a YouTube video.
I might have to drag out my old, barely functioning laptop from the early 00s and see what I can cook up just by turning that poor thing on. This also reminds me that I was supposed to start a hackintosh project but I never got around to it.
if you're looking to mess with and distort images in a easy-to-do way, then i really recommend imagemagick - it's a neat minimal bit of kit thats cross-platform and open source that lets you apply all sorts of effects and snazzy markups to images :))

have fun with your found footage-style art!
Oooh thank you! I'm gonna spend all day figuring this out, it's been a while since I've used an image editor without a GUI, I think that'll help make it more random and natural though!

She/Her

Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023 @617.80 »

So, I wouldn't actually recommend doing what I'm about to suggest, but this thread does bring to mind something I used to do as a (dumb) kid.
Me and a friend discovered that, while playing an N64, if you run a game and then slightly remove the cartridge from the cartridge slot on one of the sides, the game would start freaking out and glitching all over the place. An example I can recall, while playing Ocarina of Time, you'd see Links model start to glitch out and fly all over the place, also strange sounds would happen too.

Again, I wouldn't recommend doing this since it likely damages both the game and the hardware, but it did give some interesting glitchy effects that you wouldn't otherwise see. You'd never catch me doing that nowadays lol.  :ok:

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

nymphaeaphoo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023 @927.93 »

you may be interested in datamoshing, as demonstrated in this music video

https://youtu.be/watch?v=nS7QvOX8LVk

-
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023 @980.24 »

This is possibly the most 2011 YouTube video ever and I love it! I'm so gonna look into this! Also this reminds me of my other favorite early internet rapper Krispy Kreme (later "Froggy Fresh")
So, I wouldn't actually recommend doing what I'm about to suggest, but this thread does bring to mind something I used to do as a (dumb) kid.
Me and a friend discovered that, while playing an N64, if you run a game and then slightly remove the cartridge from the cartridge slot on one of the sides, the game would start freaking out and glitching all over the place. An example I can recall, while playing Ocarina of Time, you'd see Links model start to glitch out and fly all over the place, also strange sounds would happen too.

Again, I wouldn't recommend doing this since it likely damages both the game and the hardware, but it did give some interesting glitchy effects that you wouldn't otherwise see. You'd never catch me doing that nowadays lol.  :ok:

I remember doing this and thinking it was so cool lol. I'm so lucky that my console and cartridges still work after what I put them through  :ohdear: . Now I'm curious if there is a way to simulate cartridge tilting in an emulator? Definitely an interesting concept!

She/Her

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023 @152.65 »

Thanks for telling me the name of that effect, there are plenty of videos that use datamoshing and loved the effect but I didn't know how to do it because I didn't know the effect's name. I will be sure to do that when I get back into video editing.

:ozwomp: my beloved

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023 @446.68 »

There's ways to imitate that digitally, it's called game corruption and the YouTuber Vinesauce is doing regular streams corrupting various games live and just dicking around with and reacting to it.

Like, this is Ocarina of Time; if this is nostalgic for you. :)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

Glitching Pictures with Audacity

Started by Icey!Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 13
Views: 889
Last post December 22, 2023 @943.10
by nixie
analog horror

Started by lime360Board ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 4
Views: 556
Last post February 03, 2024 @846.52
by moonsetterindustries

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi