Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @176.85 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 77/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Why haven't YOU tried out the other forum themes?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Why haven't YOU tried out other forum themes?
I didn't know more than one theme existed until now! :O   -7 (15.6%)
I thought they were basic light/dark modes, so I didn't bother. :/   -2 (4.4%)
I am happy with the default theme and never bothered to try others. :3   -18 (40%)
I never got around to it! :(   -0 (0%)
Hey there, bucko, I'm part of the 9% who have tried it! >:D   -18 (40%)
Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Why haven't YOU tried out the other forum themes?  (Read 1295 times)
« on: March 17, 2023 @467.56 »

Themes in general are a very unpopular feature: only 4% of people active in the last 6 months use a theme - and in the forum's entire history only 9% of people have ever tried changing their theme.

:dog: WHAT :dog:

I was wondering why these numbers were so low! The additional themes are super cool and if not only only 4% use them but also
91%
of people NEVER EVEN TRIED, then something has to be wrong! D:<#

I can imagine a bunch of explanations:
  • Perhaps people just didn't know multiple themes existed; those who don't check most meta topics aren't likely to have heard of it from anywhere, and since the theme options themselves are kind of tucked away in Look and Layout, some people might not even know about them. (This thread might change that :])
  • Some people might connect the word "theme" with light and dark themes or simple color modifications and never bothered to look at them.
  • Most might simply be happy with the current theme and never bothered to check what others there are, or even looked at the thumbnails and went like "I'm good lol"
  • Perhaps some just haven't tried yet!
  • And what I believe to be the biggest issue: most user accounts are probably inactive and never were active enough to change around settings at all.

I'd like to have clarity on this topic so I made a poll. :]
Of course if the issue is that people don't check most topics or most accounts are inactive, this poll definitely won't be representative since they just won't participate in it, but maybe it can inspire some people to check and try out the alternative themes.
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023 @513.45 »

I hit the "happy with the default theme" option but I might be in the 9%? I swapped between them months back when I first learned they existed but decided I like just the basic theme! It's fun! :ozwomp:

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023 @536.67 »

I tried them all, I just like the coziness of the default one! (It's also the only one that's both elaborate and dark, I think)

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023 @583.62 »

i'm lazy
kandeez
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023 @647.87 »

I didn't know about themes until I think you mentioned them in another post and it definitely took me a bit to find where they are. The default theme was so cute and cozy but if I spent too long looking at it and reading my eyes felt super strained sadly :( RN I'm using that mainly blue checker theme (i can't remember the name) and love love love it.
I think the culprit is that some probably aren't active enough to really go in and set up profiles and look through all the possibilities on here.
NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rockin' at the Dance of Exis

iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023 @736.23 »

For a while, the only alternative was Cinni's Theme. I really like its aesthetic, but the low contrast between elements makes it hard to parse.

It makes it kinda bothersome to read thin fonts like Arial. Then you take the heavy use of gradients that are the same hue as the font and how small the text is, and it makes it kinda hard to read. It's not helped that the default theme is dark, but Cinni's theme is light- so it's even harder to read the posts of people who use bright font colors.

:TnT: I think if Cinni's theme had more contrast, or more dreamy colors like pastel pinks or yellows, to help separate its elements, I might switch to it indefinitely. Combine it with a forum feature to accommodate post font color based on dark or light themes (maybe invert the chosen color, or let users input different colors for each in their profile), and it'd not only help with brighter themes like this, but also scale much better with any new themes that get added in the future.

I like the vibe of the MelonLand Times, and it's not hard to read, so I'm gonna switch to that for a while, I think! :dive:
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023 @648.22 »

While I like all the themes, for day to day stuff I always prefer dark themes, and the default is currently the only one that is dark. Just putting that out there in case you need ideas for other themes.  :cheesy:

@Melooon, would you ever consider user-submitted themes for the site?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023 @650.64 »

default is currently the only one that is dark
Does no one read!? :ok: Newspaper theme auto switches to dark mode if you set your browser to dark mode!

(Here is the setting in firefox)

would you ever consider user-submitted themes for the site?
See this discussion here: https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=7.msg10424#msg10424

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023 @652.87 »

I did not know this! Yeah I kind of skipped over the description text for that one, lol.

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023 @675.60 »

I have tried them out but I'm more into the default theme the most honestly. It has a really nice vibe with the rain and colors and.. everything in this theme is just perfect for me  :chef: couldn't ask for anything better

i may try and give the newspaper theme a shot again, but really dont think it stands a chance against the default theme  :innocent:  :innocent: sorry

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023 @707.41 »

Well, I'm quite fond of the default theme, so that's what I mainly use.
Cinni I don't use because I don't like light themes, they are very hard on my eyes.
Newspaper is also good but I just prefer the default over it. If I get sick of some peoples weird fonts I may switch to Newspaper in the future though.
And I quite like Melonland 98 too, since it's just the default theme but fun-sized.  :ok:
That's about it really, no super special reasoning or anything. *shrug*

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

Tiffany
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023 @913.92 »

Most forums I have been a member of don't have much options when it comes to theming unless it is light/dark themes so I didn't know to check tbh. I would love one with larger font lol. *cries in bad eye sight lol*

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023 @916.97 »

I would love one with larger font lol.
Most themes use your browser's default font size; you just need to set a bigger font in your browser settings ^^

Here is the setting in firefox!

( This seems to be a trend, do people not know about browser settings?? )

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Tiffany
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023 @926.37 »

Most themes use your browser's default font size; you just need to set a bigger font in your browser settings ^^

Here is the setting in firefox!

( This seems to be a trend, do people not know about browser settings?? )

I have had extra large set on Brave but the font on some parts of the forum are still really tiny but it might just be me.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023 @930.49 »

Ah that makes sense, yep its not totally complete :ohdear: although it does seem to work for about 95% of text from my testing  :grin:

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 250
Views: 21254
Last post Today at @132.72
by BUTCHBONEZ
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5480
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3373
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi