Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @392.70 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 29/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Obscure and Interesting Media Share

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Obscure and Interesting Media Share  (Read 382 times)
KatKing
Casual Poster ⚓︎

One little spark is all it takes

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 25, 2023 @872.13 »

This thread is dedicated to obscure or interesting tv shows, shorts, and movies. Emphasis on the "or", something does not need to be obscure to be interesting, and vice versa. Just don't recommend something super well known unless you have a good reason to.

I'm going to start off with my first suggestion, more to come:

Nutcracker Fantasy:

Nutcracker Fantasy is a stopmotion film produced by Sanrio loosly based on the nutcracker ballet. It was released in 1979 and wow. its just an amazing film. The visuals are so strong and striking that i felt like i was being transported to another world. Its quite unsettling at times, but not in the sense of "old media=creepy" that you find on top ten youtube channels. Its more like it was going for scary and overstepped the line in some places. Wouldve defiantly freaked me out as a kid, but i dont see that as a bad thing.

the actual stopmotion could seem amateurish at times, (as in, the movement) but that has nothing on the beautiful sets, staging, character designs, etc. I find it sort of charming. Id rather see grand ideas presented as well as they can be, than have someone sacrifice their creative vision.

The music is also very odd and appealing to me, it uses alot of synths and transforms in weird ways. Theres a killer song in the first half that blew me away in sound and presentation. Its simple but very effective IMO

I heavily recommend the original japanese sub because the english version is not a direct translation. Alot of stuff is cut and changed to the point that a whole 20 minutes is missing from the runtime.

you can watch the full version here:

Make a little birdhouse in your soul
KatKing
Casual Poster ⚓︎

One little spark is all it takes

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023 @974.55 »

"Lesnye Puteshestvenniki", "Forest Travlers"

I dont speak russian so i cannot fully understand whats going on in this animation. The visual storytelling is enough for me to get the general idea though. I was immediately drawn to the character designs here, I find them elegant, unique, and appealing. They strike a good balance between beautiful, cute, and cartoony. Defiantly took a visual note from it for my upcoming comic. The artstyle in general is beautiful.

I also quite like the voice work. Again, I cannot understand what they are saying, but there's a charming, natural feel, simular to early disney productions like bambi, especially with the squirrel child.

The animation is ambitiuos, though it has its limitations. Characters sometimes shift and morph as they move, and the actions can sometimes be choppy or odd. Still, whats good is good, and you can see the effort to go above and beyond, even if they dont quite hit the mark at the end. I much prefer that over consistent mediocracy.

Give this a watch, even if its just a skin through. The style is so lovely, and its only 20 minutes long.

Forest Travlers - Internet Archive

Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Oo Animal Crossing Towns oO - Share your town!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 8
Views: 2034
Last post November 07, 2023 @41.97
by soapfriendo
Social Media is dangerous

Started by Cobra!Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 70
Views: 11017
Last post March 19, 2024 @115.95
by virtue
What is your favourite piece of lost media/One you want found the most?

Started by Kitchen StaffBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 42
Views: 3561
Last post April 11, 2024 @781.89
by WynnDawnstrider

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi