Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @328.98 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 31/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  what do you do to chill out with your computer?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: what do you do to chill out with your computer?  (Read 1725 times)
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« on: March 22, 2023 @77.73 »

while talking with a friend of mine recently, he mentioned that my website's homepage is really good to just zone out to because of its subtle animations. it's not totally static and lifeless, but it's not too wild and overbearing either - it's just the right balance to keep your mind occupied.

this prompted me to think more about the idea of just chilling out and vibing with your computer. when i was younger, my #1 pastime was just doing fun, whimsical stuff on the PC with no particular goal or idea in mind, just exploring what it has to offer. stuff like messing around with kid pix, making animations in powerpoint, swapping out the textures on the Windows 3D Maze screensaver, and rooting around in the windows directory to unearth stuff like onestop.mid. since i've grown up however, that kinda just stopped happening. i'd still use my computer for fun stuff of course - artwork, video games, programming, web browsing - but i was always working towards some kind of goal. the computer became just a tool instead of a magical universe to explore and get lost in in its own right.

since i started getting more interested in older tech over the past few years, i've started to get back into the mindset of computers being their own world to explore, tinker, and have fun with, without necessarily needing to work towards a specific goal. sometimes i'll start up some of the preinstalled sony software on my vaio computers (like Sony PictureGear or VAIO Media) just to explore and interact with their inventive menus and functions, or heck around with kid pix and make something wacky just like i used to when i was younger (it's still fun!).

i've also been thinking about making some cool explorable and interactive menus and environments to add to my website for this purpose too.

so my actual question is - what kind of software/programs/websites/stuff like this do you (or did you) guys use to just chill out/zone out/hang out/vibe with your computer?

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023 @112.41 »

i love to tinker with customization on my PC! that was largely how i learned to use the computer as a kid; i would mess around with the family PC to make it pretty :grin: i never really grew out of that, tbh—i guess i just have an insatiable urge to make my computer look cool. can't work with an ugly desktop!! recently i discovered WindowBlinds and Open-Shell so i've got my computer set up with an XP-inspired look.

i also like to look at old software for fun. i have a particular interest in those old graphics, texture, clipart, and art collection CDs. i found one a few weeks ago that has a huge collection of dragon-themed artwork so i spent like 2 hours looking through all of the art and also looking up the artists to see if they're still around.

appleAlc
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I hear the sounds of the city and dispossessed

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023 @118.30 »

I like to go down wikipedia & Wiktionary rabbit-holes, Project Gutenberg is also neat : 3
On my school laptop, I like to futz with settings and see just how everything works, how the management of it works, et cetera.

~~~~You can never tell the truth, but you can tell something that sounds like it~~~~
(she/her)
doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023 @155.36 »

oh, i've also literally conditioned my brain to get sleepy while doing crosswords online :grin: every night i get in bed and do crosswords on my phone on the Washington Post website or Best Crosswords. i can barely make it through one before i start falling asleep!

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023 @590.81 »

I love doing this too! My favorite thing is to go exploring on the internet and find new blogs and unique, creative sites to play with. Sometimes I'll also just play around with the software on my computers, since I've got tons on all of them and sometimes I forget what's on there.

Usually I'll start drawing in whatever paint programs I've got and make some artwork, some good, some not so good. But it doesn't matter, since I'm just having fun.

I think having that sort of "down time" without goals is good for the brain. It lets you relax and process things instead of being hyper-focused all the time.

Memory
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023 @603.46 »

I make an effort to look at and reply to most new topics on Melonland, then I go check my mails, perhaps continue building my website, or play video games and chat with my friends.

If we had a chatroom, I'd hang out there every day.
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023 @616.28 »

as a kid i enjoyed a good round of dragging about the select box on the desktop and seeing if i could line up all the corners with my background but now i realise i’ve not done that in quite a while  :omg:

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023 @623.68 »

i love to tinker with customization on my PC! that was largely how i learned to use the computer as a kid; i would mess around with the family PC to make it pretty :grin: i never really grew out of that, tbh—i guess i just have an insatiable urge to make my computer look cool. can't work with an ugly desktop!! recently i discovered WindowBlinds and Open-Shell so i've got my computer set up with an XP-inspired look.

i somewhat recently discovered windowblinds as well and i don't know how i was ever able to use windows without it! i've been using this Alter Ego skin and it makes my computer so much more enjoyable to use.

as a kid i enjoyed a good round of dragging about the select box on the desktop and seeing if i could line up all the corners with my background but now i realise i’ve not done that in quite a while  :omg:

i remember that sometimes on my old windows ME computer, the select boxes would get 'stuck' on the desktop and not disappear when i released the mouse button, so i could draw on the desktop with them until i opened a program or did something else to cause the desktop to redraw.

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023 @735.76 »

i remember that sometimes on my old windows ME computer, the select boxes would get 'stuck' on the desktop and not disappear when i released the mouse button, so i could draw on the desktop with them until i opened a program or did something else to cause the desktop to redraw.

little me wouldve gone crazy for that  :grin: !

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023 @838.19 »

These activities are more mindless than what I usually do, but there's something about taking my mouse or an image I've selected in MS Paint and pretending it's a little character by making it walk, creep, or jump around. That and holding shift while dragging something around in Paint can entertain me for a while. (If you haven't done that before, it digitally smears what you've selected as you move it around the canvas.)

--When I'm not doing anything like that, logic games like Minesweeper will always be my favorite.

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023 @960.86 »

I constantly customize my desktop because I want it to look as good as possible! I also just randomly annoy engies on trade servers or try to tauntkill people in tf2. Sometimes i just go on random sites. Idk I do different things every day

Coffee addict, Gunpla builder, SMT fan.
doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023 @978.59 »

i somewhat recently discovered windowblinds as well and i don't know how i was ever able to use windows without it! i've been using this Alter Ego skin and it makes my computer so much more enjoyable to use.

woahhh that skin goes hard. i may have to steal your look :grin:

bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023 @110.35 »

Mostly when tinkering I don't screw with programs so much as hardware! Unfortunately that's not in the cards for me so much these days, since I'm mostly away from any of my customizable devices. Namely, my main computers are an all-in-one iMac built like Fort Knox, and a MacBook. (Even my Windows computer is an impenetrable tablet.) But over the summer I was trying to fix my old computer's floppy drive! (Hopefully when I'm next reunited I'll finally fix it!! It's at my parent's house multiple states away, unfortunately.) Only reason I'm separated from these bad boys is moving from here to there it gets hard to lug around those beasts. I've had to sacrifice fun for convenience. But when I do mess around mindlessly with software, I browse forums, my emails, social media. Since I went to the dark side (MacOS) there's less goofy fun to be had and more productivity due to Apple nuking old programs that haven't been updated in a while. While on Windows it's fun to download old programs for fun! There's so much software to be found deep in the web! I've made it my goal to save as many weird programs and utilities as I get my hands on rather than deleting them when I don't need 'em anymore. I'm a file hoarder through and through... Plus, the reliance on websites these days is super lame, even if it is convenient. I know people who could live the rest of their lives with an iPhone and no desktop computer. I can't complain, convenience is key, but doesn't that get boring? Like damn... If I never had to download a dubious .exe to do a highly specific task ever again, I'd probably wither away ;_;

cheassbabble

If the cheese is not warm, stinky

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023 @41.09 »

I tend to play games that makes me chill. The games I play to chill constantly change. Sometimes its Half-life 2, Spelunky 2 or Garry's mod but currently I mostly play Momentum mod surf, Ultrakill cybergrind or The binding of Isaac. I can chill to almost any game that I am familiar with except a few like Counter-Strike Global offensive. I suck so much that I always ragequit. :cheesy:
Sometimes I like to browse completely random profiles on steam to look at the games they play and how they customized their profile. On steam I also just look at sales, try to find new games or use the discovery queue.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023 @42.52 by cheassbabble » Logged
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023 @208.50 »

List time!!
  • Explore windows files
  • Explore files I forgot I had
  • Minesweeper!!!
  • This youtube channel called TripleJump
  • Ambient Rain sounds
  • Messing around with the little goodies that are in windows (Shout out to MSpaint)
  • Read visual novels

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Hypnospace Outlaw

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 31
Views: 4973
Last post February 06, 2024 @698.00
by foxmosis
Melon's Computer Setup 2023!

Started by MelooonBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 11
Views: 2236
Last post May 31, 2023 @951.46
by Melooon
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 39
Views: 4562
Last post July 26, 2024 @631.31
by spiralstaircase

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi