Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @490.84 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  Help: My RSS Feed

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help: My RSS Feed  (Read 412 times)
larvapuppy
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: December 20, 2023 @178.07 »

Here is a link to the current state of my RSS feed: https://larvapuppy.neocities.org/rss.xml

As you can see, it current displays the text:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 10, Column 1:
<item>
^

This is my first time making an RSS feed, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? Am I doing something wrong?   :drat:

My code:
Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">

<channel>

<title>Larvapuppy's Personal Website</title>
  <link>https://larvapuppy.neocities.org/</link>
  <description>Larvapuppy's artwork showcase, graphics collection, and personal blog.</description

<item>
<title>RSS Feed</title>
<link>https://larvapuppy.neocities.org/rss.xml</link>
<guid>https://larvapuppy.neocities.org/rss.xml</guid>
<pubDate>Sun, 17 Dec 2023 13:53:00 AST</pubDate>
<description>Created my RSS feed.</description>
</item>

<item>
<title>Hydra's Webpage</title>
<link>https://larvapuppy.neocities.org/ocs/hydra/hydra</link>
<guid>https://larvapuppy.neocities.org/ocs/hydra/hydra</guid>
<pubDate>Tue, 12 Dec 2023 12:00:00 AST</pubDate>
<description>Updated my character Hydra's page with descriptions and a proper layout. It is now presentable enought to show off.</description>
</item>

</channel>

</rss>

Also accepting constructive criticism on formatting and content  :grin:

the end of an era, one starts anew
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023 @184.14 »

it may be a copying error on your part, but line 8 is missing a closing ">" symbol

i go by j, she/they :)
larvapuppy
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023 @187.97 »

Yup, that was it...  :drat:

I'm still looking for constructive criticism though. If you guys think there is not enough detail / too much detail in the entries or if I'm just completely missing the point of an RSS feed... let me know your thoughts

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023 @233.60 »

Quote from: larvapuppy
I'm still looking for constructive criticism though.

it looks ok to me! when i used to have an RSS feed, i made the mistake of writing too elaborately, which left me burnt out because i was writing blog posts and then having to resummarize in different words what i had just written about in hand-written RSS. thinking about it now: i don't know /how/ that made sense to me. oh well.

RSS is essentially a souped-up fancy notification giver except that it's fetched upon the client's request. in all honesty, if you're putting your effort into something already, and somebody likes your website, then a single line of "i updated this page!" would be enough for me to be interested enough to read.

just my two cents!

i go by j, she/they :)
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023 @588.48 »

it looks ok to me! when i used to have an RSS feed, i made the mistake of writing too elaborately, which left me burnt out because i was writing blog posts and then having to resummarize in different words what i had just written about in hand-written RSS. thinking about it now: i don't know /how/ that made sense to me. oh well.

I stopped maintaining my RSS feed for this exact reason. I was just putting too much additional effort on it for no good reason apart from aesthetic purposes. :dive:

I'm still looking for constructive criticism though. If you guys think there is not enough detail / too much detail in the entries or if I'm just completely missing the point of an RSS feed... let me know your thoughts

I think it is just fine too! It is up to you if you would like to add or alter stuff. However, I would recommend you focus on how your updates are presented within your site rather than within your RSS feed. You can even copy and paste whatever you write on your "Site News" section without thinking too much about it! These feeds are for simple notification purposes after all. That is, unless, you wanna get creative with it. :ha:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023 @602.64 »

When I update my feed it's usually just stuff like "new blog post- (post title)" and the summary is something short like "here's a post about this movie i saw, check it out" or whatever. I figure if someone is interested in the content they'll click through anyway so no need to overcomplicate.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023 @642.00 by wygolvillage » Logged

larvapuppy
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023 @724.07 »

Thanks everyone for the advice, super helpful stuff!  :cheerR: I really appreciate it.

I have one more question: I'm wondering if I'm meant to style my RSS feed? The page says, "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." So am I able to / supposed to style it using CSS or something?

TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023 @840.60 »

I have one more question: I'm wondering if I'm meant to style my RSS feed? The page says, "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." So am I able to / supposed to style it using CSS or something?

Well, you are not "supposed to", but you are "able to". :ok: This message is just a warning which notes that the browser is reading a raw file with no styling. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not an error or anything.

You can add a style to any MXL file, similarly to how you would style any HTML page. So you could style your RSS feed if you ever feel like doing so. Again, it's up to you- and I've personally never seen anybody do it before! :eyes:

I found this StackOverflow thread based around the same topic in case you're interested. The answer also provides an example of how you can add styling to the file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What do you think of web feeds?

Started by m15oBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 3090
Last post December 23, 2021 @737.60
by m15o
RSS Feeds you enjoy reading?

Started by MelooonBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 10
Views: 1856
Last post November 20, 2022 @659.79
by Melooon
Request Tips and Feedback on your site

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 12
Views: 1825
Last post August 07, 2022 @475.80
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi