Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @479.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 78/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  Self-Hosting a Gemini Capsule?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Self-Hosting a Gemini Capsule?  (Read 528 times)
DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I will become the god of this new world!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: doctordizzy
iMood: DoctorDizzyspin

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: April 18, 2023 @95.76 »

Hi! :smile: I'm trying to figure out how to properly host a Gemini capsule. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I keep trying to use agate, but I don't think that I'm doing it right?? I don't know,, I just can't connect to the site.

So! Basically!

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ connected via Ethernet to an Internet router. I also have a domain name -- My website is currently over at doctordizzy.space, and I'm wondering if I can host the Gemini capsule at capsule.doctordizzy.space? Is that even, you know, possible?? What do I do??

I am lightning... The rain transformed!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023 @438.81 »

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I keep trying to use agate, but I don't think that I'm doing it right?? I don't know,, I just can't connect to the site.
What error do you get in the server logs? Did you also "opened" the 1965 TCP port? In my case I have always used Jetforce as a gemini server and it has always worked fine for me. Remember that to open a gemini server you must also create a valid TLS certificate (either self-signed or a real one like Let's Encrypt) with the same domain name/hostname.

My website is currently over at doctordizzy.space, and I'm wondering if I can host the Gemini capsule at capsule.doctordizzy.space? Is that even, you know, possible?? What do I do??

Yeah it's possible to do that, just make a new subdomain on your control panel of your domain provider (in your case Porkbun) with a A (or AAAA for IPv6) record and point to your public IP or anything else where your gemini capsule is hosted.

However, if you have a dynamic IP then you should to use a DDNS software that updates the subdomain IP address automatically. I have no idea how to do that on domain providers like yours so you'll have to search about that on the web.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023 @755.17 »

Geckos answers are all great, I just dropped by to add that if you have a node.js server or you use node.js for other any other web projects you can make a super easy Gemini server using this https://www.npmjs.com/package/gemini-server

I think I actually have one, but I haven't updated it in ages and I can't remember its URL, but it was very easy to setup!

The fun thing about it being node based is that you can code dynamic change to happen; so for example you can make text automatically update or have something change when someone clicks a link!  :eyes:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I will become the god of this new world!

StatusCafe: doctordizzy
iMood: DoctorDizzyspin

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023 @246.60 »

What error do you get in the server logs? Did you also "opened" the 1965 TCP port? In my case I have always used Jetforce as a gemini server and it has always worked fine for me. Remember that to open a gemini server you must also create a valid TLS certificate (either self-signed or a real one like Let's Encrypt) with the same domain name/hostname.

Yeah it's possible to do that, just make a new subdomain on your control panel of your domain provider (in your case Porkbun) with a A (or AAAA for IPv6) record and point to your public IP or anything else where your gemini capsule is hosted.

However, if you have a dynamic IP then you should to use a DDNS software that updates the subdomain IP address automatically. I have no idea how to do that on domain providers like yours so you'll have to search about that on the web.

So sorry for the late response, @GeckoF and I hope that this will be helpful.
I tried using jetforce, but like... The error messages I get seem to be tied to TCP and host stuff. I know that my Pi is connected via Ethernet, I think I know how to get it to have a static IP address, I just don't know how to get everything to work!!!

I am lightning... The rain transformed!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

Gemini, an internet protocol

Started by m15oBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 16
Views: 3328
Last post April 19, 2024 @292.67
by arcus
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3221
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi