Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @214.81 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 79/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Nail Biters: how do you stop your habit?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nail Biters: how do you stop your habit?  (Read 500 times)
Nippo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: April 23, 2023 @921.89 »

I have a very terrible nail biting habit. From looking online I seem to believe it is a common issue, so I'm wondering if there are any other nail-biters here and if you were able to stop the  problem (or if you're still struggling with it like I am). I feel like ive tried so many things but I end up coming back full circle to having really short nails. :ohdear:
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023 @941.86 »

I uhhhh just stopped to be honest. I liked how long nails look. (Now I bite the skin around the nails instead oops.)

But I think that painting your nails can work. At least I don't wanna bite into them if there's nail polish.
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023 @999.07 »

Okay, uh. Time to put myself on blast, I guess.

I don't remember how it started, definitely was an anxiety byproduct, but by now I'm in a curious situation. Like, I don't exactly bite them absent-mindedly or on reflex anymore, not even when I'm nervous. Well, maybe sometimes, but veeeery rarely.

But. I'm so used to having short nails (and I do prefer them that way, I don't paint my nails anyway) that the moment they grow out even the tiniest bit, I'm getting highly annoyed and want to get rid of them.

The catch is, well, firstly, I'm too lazy to go to the bathroom and look for tools to do it proper. But secondly and more importantly I just HATE how scissors/nail clippers feel on my nails. I bodily cringe and wriggle at the sensation and YUCK. Sensory issue, maybe, I don't know.

Sooo uuuh pardon for potentially being gross, but by this point I just bite my nails off... intentionally? All at once, the same length, only when they aren't visibly dirty and I spit them out into trash so that they don't harm my stomach. I, of course, do that when I'm alone.

My parents are frankly disgusted at their adult kid doing THAT (which they only know 'cause they never see me clipping them nails), but we've gone through every method imaginable at some point in my teenagerhood and I persisted, so, you know... It is what it is, I guess.

I've tried going back to tools, but that just throws me in a vicious circle of avoiding the repulsive sensation and letting the nails grow out and then getting pissed about it, so I stuck with the pass of gross survival  :tongue:

If anyone knows methods of trimming your nails that don't involve the conventional tools - be my guest...

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023 @255.72 »

Stopped with the end of school time. Now that indicates a pretty stressful time in retrospect, which is definetly was!

So that means, you have to organise yourself properly to have less stress. Maybe the nail biting will go away then.

Nowadays, biting the nails off is only an emergency for me, if something got damaged out of my living place. When crafting things for example, nails have a tendency to get stuck somewhere and break.

@tarraxahum: What about using a nail file? Would it make the nail shorter after using it for a lot of time?
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023 @809.49 »

What about using a nail file? Would it make the nail shorter after using it for a lot of time?

Filing also feels the same way :notgood: (although I admittedly still do it so that I don't scratch everything and everyone including myself)

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Nippo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023 @802.18 »

But I think that painting your nails can work. At least I don't wanna bite into them if there's nail polish.

I've tried using a clear nail polish with a bad taste on it and somehow my instincts still end up fighting through it. The nail polish reminds me that I shouldn't be biting my nails but I continue anyway... it really sucks. I've considered painting my nails but I don't really want to draw attention to them given how short they are. I think I might actually pick them more if I ended up painting them.

I don't remember how it started, definitely was an anxiety byproduct, but by now I'm in a curious situation. Like, I don't exactly bite them absent-mindedly or on reflex anymore, not even when I'm nervous. Well, maybe sometimes, but veeeery rarely.

I figured out that three large triggers for my nail-biting habit is boredom, hunger, and anxiety, and I'm sure there are many more triggers that I am not sure about. I think sometimes I will bite them if they just don't look right to me.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023 @812.91 »

Bubble gum. Some people have bad habits and chewing gum does help a bit (my stepdad likes to vape but he chews gum to stop vaping for a bit when he's at work or something)
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023 @793.45 »

Might have been an urban legend, but I've heard about people who never have to cut their nails, because they wear them down through their work.

However I forgot which job that was... probably something with hand-crafting and rough surfaces. Maybe something with rocks? Was it a farmer who digs a lot in the ground?

So solution: Get a nail-degrading job? Scratch a stone every day?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 56
Views: 5286
Last post Today at @17.04
by BUTCHBONEZ
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3887
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™
Should we stop writing long posts?

Started by Icey!Board ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 9
Views: 971
Last post March 07, 2023 @423.50
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi