Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @107.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 29/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ➶ ∙ Art Gallery
| | |-+  Thinking about starting a new project.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thinking about starting a new project.  (Read 710 times)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: April 23, 2023 @354.16 »

After releasing Deaht Scrolls and announcing it on the forum a day later I felt that the (for a lack of a better word) advertising for the game was a little south. I never created any teasers or hints that it was being developed to the public minus some early gameplay and because of that it flopped. So for my next project I would like to be more transparent. I have some ideas about what it would be, maybe a remaster of an old game or maybe a continuation of the Deaht series or maybe even something entirely original! It doesn't even have to be game related!

The ideas Include:

1. A Remaster for Tux Racer.
2. A Remaster for Lego Island. (most unlikely)
3. Creation of a forum from scratch.
4. Something Something about these fellas.
5. Creating an experimental 2nd Person game.
6. etc.

I'm open for discussion.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023 @264.64 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023 @474.63 »

Tux Racer, oh dear. Please someone with some skill in Game Design, give it some proper gameplay! It has beautiful physics and just need some modes to play. Web play? Like a free-software Trackmania? This has soooo much unused potential.
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023 @671.13 »

Tux Racer, oh dear. Please someone with some skill in Game Design, give it some proper gameplay! It has beautiful physics and just need some modes to play. Web play? Like a free-software Trackmania? This has soooo much unused potential.

Unironically, I puffer the original Tux Racer to Extreme Tux Racer. No one really has been able to serve that game justice. I will be trying to create a demo and if you guys like it I might continue developing it. Not sure if I might be able to keep that promise tho. But it's worth a shot!

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023 @259.29 »

I agree. The old Tux Racer is better for the new one not adding anything significantly, but getting less efficent. The name is as pure as it needs to be. Amiga music in the background and tracks, that can be modded without any tools.

As it's an SDL based game, it still runs on Windows 98. And on this machine from 2000 it's undoubtably one of the fastest and best looking 3D games. Well, if everything needs to be hidden in fog for performance reasons, make a racing game in a foggy environment. That ice effect looks super fantastic, which is surprising for an open-source game without big budgets.

Would you go and rewrite Tux Racer or just add some features to the existing one?

* tuxie.gif (204.5 kB, 640x480 - viewed 34 times.)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023 @270.22 »

I agree. The old Tux Racer is better for the new one not adding anything significantly, but getting less efficent. The name is as pure as it needs to be. Amiga music in the background and tracks, that can be modded without any tools.

As it's an SDL based game, it still runs on Windows 98. And on this machine from 2000 it's undoubtably one of the fastest and best looking 3D games. Well, if everything needs to be hidden in fog for performance reasons, make a racing game in a foggy environment. That ice effect looks super fantastic, which is surprising for an open-source game without big budgets.

Would you go and rewrite Tux Racer or just add some features to the existing one?

Haha yes! The Ice graphics were glorious!

After some time I've started to realize that I am not a good 3D developer or even a experienced programmer, I would like to try and remake the entire game from scratch in Godot (as it's the engine I am use to and fits in with being a FOSS game) and make a level editor to make map making more accessible along with more terrain features. The problem with this is that it's really hard to program a functioning editor together, especially for someone who has only really touched 2D. I honestly don't know what I should do to store the levels. Maybe just use blender? I would like to make this game as easy to modify as possible for the future devs looking at the source code as possible.

plantovision
Jr. Member ⚓︎

born to ":3" forced to ":)"

StatusCafe: plantovision
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023 @139.57 »

Can't say I know too much about Tux Racer of Lego Island, but the fellas look cute!
A second person game would certainly be interesting, consider fleshing out that idea a bit. What genre would you be going for with this?

born to be silly, forced to be stupid
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023 @172.97 »

Can't say I know too much about Tux Racer of Lego Island, but the fellas look cute!
A second person game would certainly be interesting, consider fleshing out that idea a bit. What genre would you be going for with this?

Not sure, I was planning on going with a sandbox style game to truly let the player experiment with it. The Lego island idea was put there as a replacement to another idea that I decided to hide because I wanted to expand on that idea without it being stolen.

As an update for @Gans I have tried to make a prototype of the Tux Player movement, it's proving to be a lot more challenging than anticipated. I may have to scrap it if I feel like I am spending too much time working on trying to make that system work.

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023 @374.65 »

At least you'll learn something from trying, even if nothing really materialises. You've picked a tough mountain to climb!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ozwomp's Voyage in Cyberspace - Video Project

Started by MelooonBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 1864
Last post December 06, 2021 @791.33
by Melooon
My new side project: status.cafe

Started by m15oBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 24
Views: 4778
Last post July 28, 2022 @838.01
by Melooon
What does a successful project mean to you?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 7
Views: 2372
Last post December 13, 2021 @810.09
by Cobra!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi