Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @356.13 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  123guestbook is shutting down! alas! + alternatives

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 123guestbook is shutting down! alas! + alternatives  (Read 2535 times)
honowo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

(any pronouns)

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: f66x
iMood: f66x
PicMix: honowo

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2024 @803.76 »

Holy heck, I was just looking through their tour page and they say they have over 200,000 guestbooks  :ohdear: This is a very serious loss  :notgood:

Would it be possible to host on Nekoweb or Github and link through an iframe?  :omg:

🌸
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024 @833.16 »

Thinking about it I think this is simply one of the pitfalls of using a service that is hosted by another party, and it makes me think a lot about how when I was starting out a lot of the stuff beginners are encouraged to put on their site is external stuff like guestbooks, widgets, etc. Eventually stuff like imood  cbox music players and statuscafe will go offline since obviously nothing is forever. My memories of the first week or so of my site was stuffing it to the gills with widgets, iframes and stuff from other websites. I would comb through people's link pages looking for widgets and search for "cool widgets to put on my site" on google  :ok: It makes your site really cool and already fully-functional and interactive out of the box, so it's instantly gratifying- until one of those widgets stops working, then part of your site is broken!

Not that widgets are inherently a bad thing, I've written before about my affection for web "sharing culture" after all, and I think these services and widgets are very helpful and I'm glad they exist. I still use them! But it kind of has me on a train of thought about whether we should emphasize self-hosted static content to newcomers over flashier external stuff. Putting more stress on future-proofing and owning your own stuff, I guess.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2024 @863.44 »

Would it be possible to host on Nekoweb or Github and link through an iframe?  :omg:

Yep you should be able to embed any site that allows XFrame embedding.

Putting more stress on future-proofing and owning your own stuff, I guess.
I think widgets are a lot like love. You know they will abandon you and leave a broken place in your website and there’s nothing you can do to stop them, but it’s still worth it anyway  :tongue:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2024 @868.08 »

I think widgets are a lot like love. You know they will abandon you and leave a broken place in your website and there’s nothing you can do to stop them, but it’s still worth it anyway  :tongue:

Very apt! And I think everyone remembers their "first breakup" lol (for me it was SCM player suddenly barring me from playing all my favorite copyrighted music off of youtube lol)

honowo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

(any pronouns)

StatusCafe: f66x
iMood: f66x
PicMix: honowo

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2024 @900.20 »

Yep you should be able to embed any site that allows XFrame embedding.

Can confirm :)

🌸
CATBYTE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cat’s out of the bag!

iMood: catbyte
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024 @931.61 »

oof. i'm going to work on archiving mine as well, and make a dedicated page for all the messages i've gotten over the last year. then create a new one elsewhere. i'm sad for all the kind words and data that will likely just be gone with the service going down as a whole though.

glad to see some alternative guestbooks listed here at least ^^;

they/them
neoratz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ଘ(+ ໖_໖) tastes funny

iMood: neoratz

View Profile WWW

Won the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2024 @25.16 »

aw dang, i use this too! :-( what methods are you guys using to archive your guestbook? i was just going to take pictures of all the messages in mine, but that does not seem very efficient

i promised i'm not alone in heaven... ˖˚
cavitycollector
Newbie ⚓︎

he/him // autistic webnoob

StatusCafe: cavitycollector
iMood: cavitycollector

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2024 @48.22 »

aw dang, i use this too! :-( what methods are you guys using to archive your guestbook? i was just going to take pictures of all the messages in mine, but that does not seem very efficient

i archived mine on our dearly beloved internet archive

[img width=100%]https://file.garden/ZVKAVGDEUWH6MWlN/ads%20%2B%20bumper%20stickers/this_message_1and0.png[/img]
levya
Full Member ⚓︎

just a little creature (she/her)

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Joined 2023!
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2024 @62.93 »

this is so sad, I really liked how easy 123guestbook was to set up and use. :(

I used ayano's comment widget to set up my new guestbook and I really like it! it wasn't too hard to set up, the hardest part was just styling it the way I wanted haha. and I'm happy that now my guestbook is hosted on my site so I won't have to worry about any other guestbook services closing~

I set up a 123guestbook memorial garden on my site to archive my old messages. I just copied the html from my 123guestbook and formatted it for my site.

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2024 @78.59 »

For my archive, I just copied down all the text.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024 @109.92 by wygolvillage » Logged

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2024 @150.98 »

Thankfully, mine is on SmartGB---another user in this thread recommended it, and I do too. I really like its customizable HTML---I'm not sure whether or not 123GB has that. Mine should be pretty well archived through archive.org, but I'll have to see if I can download another archive to be safe.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

BUTCHBONEZ
Full Member ⚓︎

certified analog horror junkie

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!Local GothJoined 2024!
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2024 @932.97 »

you are safe here, traveler

HY / XE / FANG
alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

i <3 tadashi

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2024 @852.48 »

I used ayano's comment widget to set up my new guestbook and I really like it!
Thanks for the suggestion! I really like the way that you styled your new guestbook, I'm hoping I can figure out something like that in the future.

And your memorial garden looks amazing too! i fear i will be swiping that idea (not w/o credit of course:ok:)

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2024 @810.60 »

Atabook is now live :cheesy: replacement for 123guestbook by dimden.
You can report bugs presumably in his Discord server but definitely also the Nekoweb Discord server.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
rina
Casual Poster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2024 @925.94 »

However I suspect the kicker here is older PHP versions; 123 was made in the 00s, so it's prob running on PHP 5-7. As of the last two years, most web hosts (including the one that 123 is registered with) are banning anything below PHP 8.

this is exactly why im anti-shared host.
VPS all the way.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Alternatives for when you feel like you need to use social media.

Started by VersionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 4
Views: 1177
Last post August 27, 2022 @312.67
by wris
MP3 Downloading in 2023

Started by SilkSkullBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 1269
Last post January 10, 2023 @43.18
by voupie
Yesterweb webring shutting down

Started by NecrosiaBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 14
Views: 1120
Last post April 02, 2023 @51.70
by Cobra!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi