Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @457.14 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Your opinion on splash screens

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your opinion on splash screens  (Read 543 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: May 14, 2023 @582.94 »

For context: Splash screens are the things that show up first on some websites before you can enter their main homepage. It prompts you to click to enter, and sometimes displays some warnings or information (best viewed in xxxx, best viewed, 1920 x 1080, not-mobile friendly, autoplay music, flashing, 18+..).
After clicking, it leads you to the main page.

Examples of, and possible inspirations for, splash screens: one / two / three / four / five / six / seven

What is your opinion on those?
Any times when it annoys you or when you would wish there'd be one?

I personally find them a bit annoying as a repeat visitor, but if they're quick and not loading too slow or taking too long to lead to the main page, it's okay and some can be really nice to look at.
I am considering making one as well, so visitors can choose between the pink room design and the minimalist version I created yesterday.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023 @597.00 »

I think they're cute and can sometimes have some pretty useful information. It's not super inconvenient to just click once to enter, anyway. I don't have one on mine since as far as I know I don't have anything to warn about, but if I did I would probably just put that information on my homepage... Like you said, though, splash screens can be annoying if you're using the website frequently.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023 @634.98 »

I personally don't find them annoying, even if I frequently visit a website. Like doqmeat!

They're certainly useful when it comes to displaying important information, such as warnings like flashing, as well as whatever else the webmaster feels is worth mentioning. But even if there are no warnings and the webmaster simply wants to have an "enter" sign for example, I think that's cool! It really adds to the vibe/feeling of some sites, and even just as an aesthetic preference it's not annoying to me at all! I view them as part of the viewer experience and enjoy taking part in what the webmaster wants me to.
 :transport:
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023 @647.40 »

Personally when I find a website with a splash screen I love it! It feels like a house with a candy bowl at the door if that makes sense! Especially so if it has music  :grin:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023 @701.41 »

Ah they have a name? I just thought you call them enter page or something lol. I talked about them already a while a go in my blog. They are annoying to me most of the time. It's a complete different thing if they serve a purpose, such a content warning. But if the only thing they do is say enter I'm bothered by it. It's a useless extra click. Bonus points if the page looks nothing like the actual home page. (Light,dark and bright color differences specifically). I mean if you want a cute splash screen go for it. Nobody stops ya. But I am not a fan personally.

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023 @778.95 »

They don't bother me. Actually, I think if you have NSFW on your front page, you should add a splash screen warning first.

However, I'm personally hesitant to use them because I fear that some visitors aren't going to click through it to my site proper, and I fear it might not look interesting enough for someone browsing Neocities website catalogue.
LIA

closing time

StatusCafe: six
iMood: sintax

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023 @42.23 »

sometimes they make the app load slower if that makes sense? Sometimes they're done well, but it makes me a little irked because i could open an app and then see my double chin ikykyk XD
devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023 @148.54 »

I find them to be rather important if there are accessibility concerns when browsing a site (more than just screen size, stuff like autoplay or lots of flashing GIFs). Otherwise, they're kind of pointless IMO. They do add some charm to a website in a way though- I mean, how many mainstream/more modern websites have them?

Remember to eat dessert <3
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023 @384.49 »

i like them especially if they’re used as a warning for what might be on a site, there are a lot of times where for example i don’t want auto play music so if there’s a warning about it before entering the page it’s really helpful!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023 @79.00 »

i'm not actively annoyed by them if they serve only an aesthetic purpose but i do prefer if they include the aforementioned warnings or information. it's comparable to like opening a door into another world, and i think that's pretty cool!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

how the Web should look like in my opinion

Started by lime360Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 9
Views: 1236
Last post October 05, 2022 @59.61
by di
Opinion on cyberpunk 2077?

Started by GlitchBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 5
Views: 646
Last post January 01, 2023 @982.53
by tarraxahum
Opinions on Robert Smith / The Cure?

Started by dotmidiBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 3
Views: 515
Last post February 09, 2023 @700.17
by Janus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi