Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @500.57 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  How was your break?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How was your break?  (Read 1009 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: May 16, 2023 @48.22 »

How did you enjoy your Monday with the forum switched off? What did you miss? What did you not miss?

Did the time away leave you feeling that anything could be done better here? Is there anything we could use less of? What stresses did you feel or not feel?

I have my own thoughts on the subject, but I wondered if anyone else had any feelings they might not bring up unprompted  :wink:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023 @74.04 »

I apologize for not having an answer to your more specific questions here, but I wanted to mention that it felt more like the forum had gone off to orbit around a distant planet before finding its way back to its usual spot again when I saw the screen you had put up. Uh.. as opposed to it just closing. Assuming you went with the forum, did any friendly passers-by help you with your Monday cleaning?

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023 @78.44 »

Yes closed is just an easy word to use - what does closed mean? Was the forum closed? Or was it GONE, and if it was gone where did it go? What does it mean to exist in a place (in the context of a digital place like a website) - I think your observation is very good  :ozwomp:

I read a book about cave art, so maybe the forum was with me in a cave 15,000 years ago! Maybe the web is the cave art of the future!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
plantovision
Jr. Member ⚓︎

born to ":3" forced to ":)"

StatusCafe: plantovision

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023 @122.33 »

Yes closed is just an easy word to use - what does closed mean? Was the forum closed? Or was it GONE, and if it was gone where did it go?
Ah, the forum is both closed and open until we open it, Schrodinger's forum, classic trick.

born to be silly, forced to be stupid
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023 @130.05 »

Schrodinger's forum
I found this note I (apparently) wrote a few months ago and I have absolutely no idea what it was supposed to mean - but Schrodinger's forum is great :tongue:

[on digital art] post-internet as an idea/genre/whatever still [has?] a hold on things, digital humanities are [relavent] and quantum information are all somehow involved too, but possibly not relevant

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023 @134.33 »

How did you enjoy your Monday with the forum switched off? What did you miss?
It was alright, having the forum did push me in the direction to code a bit on my site. Even if it was very minimal.
Other than that I went outside and found an abandoned structure + abandoned schoolbus! me and my cousin decided to explore it lol.. i got eaten alive by bugs but it was worth it  :tongue:  :tongue:
I missed being able to communicate with everyone on here though for sure, I uh. Tried to email Commo today but the frustration Gmail gave me was beyond belief.. I hope to find an alternative soon , not really much of MelonLand's fault though :angry:
I quite like the idea of it being closed on Mondays and I especially LOVED the closed screen, it makes me feel like this place is a mom and pop shop, or a rest stop.. both rhyme so i guess both :shrug:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023 @149.79 »

I think it's a neat idea, gives me time to think about topics I've been sitting on posting and what I think could add to the forum, did miss scrolling through long threads at night though  :ok:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023 @237.69 »

I asked the same question on the Melonland Wiki, but I don't think anyone saw it.

https://wiki.melonland.net/_media/monday_break.png

:ozwomp: my beloved

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023 @252.47 »

I liked how the close screen looked and left it open quite a while like a screensaver.
Other than that it challenged me to understand how it works (or try, when I don't know the backend). For fun, I messed around and checked if the time check was serverside or clientside and if it could be bypassed. Didn't work. Learned some things :P

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023 @585.64 »

It was good! I only checked in twice before I remembered Mondays are days off, and it forced me to focus on other things I've been putting off instead of just sitting on the forum. I even made a whole new page for my love directory here! warning: autoplay music.

It had me wishing more sites I used included days off. It was surprisingly really refreshing, so thank you for implementing it Melon! Something I wasn't aware I needed so much.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023 @768.11 »

What about placing the message "Closed on Mondays. Open on Tuesday to Sunday." more prominently, like a sign in front of a store? Put it on the login screen? In the News bar? Interesting quirk definetly and I hope you test it out for a couple of months to see, how it feels in the long term.

To be honest, I never seen anything like that on any other website before. It seems to be counterproductive at the first glance, but it clearly is not on a slow communication platform like a message board. Does it make any difference at all, if replys arrive in 1 day or in 2 days? At least it would be the best for the thread starter to not expect a quick reply anyways.

Good job for that concept, Melon.
🅲🆁🅸🆂
Casual Poster ⚓︎

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

StatusCafe: cris
iMood: cosmichorror

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023 @17.12 »

I agree that this is such a fascinating concept and I haven't seen it anywhere else before! (Other than Melon's personal site too). So far I really like it! It made me pause in that moment and think about how I spend my time online and how I expect websites/forums/etc. to be there 24/7 whenever I choose to visit them. For some reason, the break makes it feel more alive, more human. And that we all need time to step away sometimes.

grovyle

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023 @691.59 »

I'm a bit behind forum time so it's a bummer when I try to get in sunday evening and it's already shut off haha but I really love this concept!

Yesterday I had a job interview in English and the interviewer complimented my expertise in the language!  :blush: This one hopefully allows me to move abroad for a bit, so I'm really excited! I have lived in the same country since I was born, so this will be nice for a change of pace.
I also started my encyclopedia project! I mentioned it in a post I made last week, that I wanted to make a scrapbook-like encyclopedia of animals and plants, and during the weekend I actually inherited one of my great-grandma's encyclopedias. It has 15 tomes and I definitely don't have the space to keep it, so I'm transforming it into an encyclopedia of my own! So far I only made some inner cover pages, one for animals and one for plants, in a collage style with some magazine cutouts and I love them a lot, so I think it'll come out really pretty! Maybe I'll make a blog or something to share some scans of my favorite pages, so I can share them with y'all!
pixelsafari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

remember when they called it machine learning?

iMood: pixelsafari

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023 @927.69 »

I think closing for the day is a good reminder to stay productive (even if only on the internet lol), but sometimes I wish it just went to read-only mode. The forums are a pretty valuable resource and it sucks having to wait until tomorrow to find a specific topic that I need. It's not like my website is about to explode if I can't use the forums, but you get what I mean right?

Anyways, I'm never as productive as I mean to be. :tongue: I keep on meaning to work on my website, or draft out these cool ideas I have, or literally anything creative, but I never end up getting very far. It's not because I'm super busy or anything, I just get too distracted or lazy and by the time I finally go back to what I was doing, the day is almost over. :sad:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2023 @46.92 »

The forums are a pretty valuable resource and it sucks having to wait until tomorrow
Ooph, I do understand that - I was trying to send a link to a friend on Monday and it was a major ugh :tongue: But I think maybe that's important too; its a reminder for me that things online do vanish and if they are meaningful to you you should archive them in some way. Thankfully the forum always comes back, but for most of the web, when stuff goes away, it's gone :tnt:

I had a job interview in English
I hope it goes really well for you! I believe you can do itt :ozwomp:

What about placing the message "Closed on Mondays. Open on Tuesday to Sunday.
I felt like that was implied, but this post has been on my mind!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

Wasp Nest!

Started by GuestBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 6
Views: 512
Last post August 31, 2023 @10.06
by Guest
Wasp's Art

Started by GuestBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 423
Last post October 07, 2023 @2.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi