Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @716.53 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 77/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  How do you get inspired?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you get inspired?  (Read 494 times)
wangobangy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

vampires, please give me a chance

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: wangobangy

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: June 04, 2023 @139.47 »

I have been practicing my HTML/CSS by working completely from scratch, but I have no idea how I want this project to look. It's just like art block or writers block! All I really have right now is a little sidebar and a section for... something. I don't even know what kind of theme I am going for. I want to do something different from what I usually do (which is highly saturated colours on black backgrounds and lots of sharp edges) but trying to come up with anything new that I like is difficult for me, especially since I am so new at this.

I want to hear what you folks like to do. What do you do when you don't know how or where to start? Do you look at websites, or gifs? Is it just something that hits you?

arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arcus
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023 @164.32 »

I look at my old sites for inspiration, and draft out ideas for layouts onto paper. I then figure out the colour palette, which helps a lot since it sets the mood of the page.

When I start to work on the layout, I don't aim to recreate any of the drafts one to one. Instead, I try to get something basic down, and come up with ideas as I go along.

wangobangy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023 @169.36 »

draft out ideas for layouts onto paper
I've been meaning to try that out. I worry a lot that I will try to go for a one-to-one recreation of whatever I come up with, but other than that I might try that out tomorrow!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023 @559.50 »

Something that I enjoy doing with web design specifically is sketching out a few layouts with hand on paper, see what works for me, what I think I could realistically turn into code (really, you could probably do that with anything you design on paper, but I mean mostly in terms of my skill level lol) and go from there! Usually in the process of this, when I get to the coding part I'll have more ideas of things I want to add, or in the process of trying to fix issues with my current code I'll come up with creative ideas.

But also, just looking at other peoples designs and gain inspiration that way! Not just with neocities or other personal websites, but tumblr has a lot of inspiration too from their "themes"!
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023 @680.37 »

Inspiration is like play right? So how do you play? You don't play by watching others, you play by joining them; you don't go into a game knowing how it will go (and if you do it's a bad game) - you just jump in and get lost in it. Iv written a lot about inspiration and thoughts on where creative energy comes from over the years.. but it really is just play!

You start with one simple action, one kick of a ball, and you follow what happens and you get lost in it. After that you don't even need to look for inspiration, it comes at you from everywhere!  :dive:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023 @704.42 »

Also, if everything fails, go for a walk. Once I read it as "getting your blood circling and out of your butt" and it sounds silly, but sometimes you need to stop doing the thing you usually do and relax while your mind works in the background  :4u: it might come back with a few ideas!!

wangobangy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023 @738.26 »

These are all really good responses! :smile:

I'm definitely going to try out some of these things, and try to just have much more fun when creating webpages.

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023 @877.88 »

I've not much to add from what other people have said but having fun is the most important part, whether you're playing with the design or content. The other thing is just making a start, once you've got an inkling of something, other ideas will come. It's not a job (some people do make money from their personal sites) and if you're not enjoying what you do, your site will simply join the zillion others that haven't been updated in years or simply disappear.

What I do is when I find a site I like design elements from is bookmark it then when I feel like it, go back through them just to make sure I still find them good looking or even usable. There's many sites with the "3,427 coolest personal sites of 2023" or whatever an I'll sometimes scroll through those. I nearly always end back at  W3Schools. Their pages are simple, not cluttered with other people's CSS, and their "Try it Yourself" pages are editable so you can play around with your own ideas based on the basics they give as much as you like. It's not suited for entire pages, but individual elements. Unlike places such as CodePen, JSFiddle and others you can't save the code but you can certinly copy it to your own computer.

As for content, write about whatever you're interested in. Take inspiration from wherever you can. If you think of something you'd like to write about, write it down somewhere. I keep lists of those along with sources for future use I've come across. Places I hang out in will send occasional emails like "from your reading history you might be interested in..." Most I'm not at all, but now and then they'll send something that grabs my attention and I think I can turn into something I can use.
kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

:D

StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023 @921.40 »

Honestly I just explore the web and see what I like and what I can build on. Find a little crab gif? What if it's interactive? BAM you now have a little crab that tries to yoink your mouse. If you have a project, maybe try making a style sheet to match. Want to post pictures of your pet on their birthday? Make the page look like the birthday invitations your mom used to make in word. Sharing camping tips? Have a little forest themed stylesheet with pops of bright orange and a little bear cursor. And you don't have to stick to one style, play around! If you want to get out of your comfort zone, try a super minimal page like status.cafe or try making a gif-heavy page with loads of decoration. Just have fun with it.  :grin:

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What inspired you to create a personal website?

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 41
Views: 4820
Last post July 11, 2023 @56.78
by Bede
Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 56
Views: 5299
Last post Today at @17.04
by BUTCHBONEZ
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 48
Views: 3891
Last post April 11, 2024 @823.52
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi