Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @180.07 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  i got my first comment on my guestbook, except it was unpleasant

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: i got my first comment on my guestbook, except it was unpleasant  (Read 827 times)
robkies
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: June 18, 2023 @881.78 »

i already had a guestbook for a few months and i never got a message before, a few minute ago i check and it was just some guy who had the n word as his name and just posted the n word in all caps. still have the censored screenshot but idk if i can post it here. man i was happy a few minutes ago and then this happens. its something really small and insignificant but idk i just thought this sucked. i dont even know who it was, my website only has like 3 followers and just started expanding now that i changed the design and joined more webrings. yall remember when trolls were actually funny and creative?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023 @949.21 by Melooon » Logged
Memory
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023 @887.70 »

that can really be a bummer! the day that i linked my neocities site on here, i had 50 unique visitors and one of them posted something super antisemitic in my little chatbox :/
some things never change. any platform, no matter the size, needs oversight to keep "user-emergent behavior" on a leash imo, or else nasty stuff like this happens.
just makes me more grateful for moderators like we have on this forum!  :transport:  and more curious about automated moderation tools. it could be a fun project to implement something that automatically rejects input with slurs etc. too bad that tool couldn't also blow up the user's keyboard as punishment, and too bad we have to put up with it in the first place lol
ps your site is VERY cool and epic! is the background from the sonic collection on gamecube? or is it a recurring sonic motif elsewhere in the series
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023 @889.38 by radio » Logged
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023 @892.06 »

I didn't have anyone like that in my guestbook so far

But I did have one in my comic's comment section and I was VERY conflicted 'cause like... it was phrased in a way that, if you reach, COULD theoretically been left by an actual person who was maybe even black themselves but... I HIGHLY doubted that and without context wasn't comfortable with leaving it on my art  :tongue:

Also I'm sorry that had to happen to you, trolls suck and the low-effort ones somehow suck more  :ohdear:

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
robkies
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023 @898.88 »

I didn't have anyone like that in my guestbook so far

But I did have one in my comic's comment section and I was VERY conflicted 'cause like... it was phrased in a way that, if you reach, COULD theoretically been left by an actual person who was maybe even black themselves but... I HIGHLY doubted that and without context wasn't comfortable with leaving it on my art  :tongue:

Also I'm sorry that had to happen to you, trolls suck and the low-effort ones somehow suck more  :ohdear:

that can really be a bummer! the day that i linked my neocities site on here, i had 50 unique visitors and one of them posted something super antisemitic in my little chatbox :/
some things never change. any platform, no matter the size, needs oversight to keep "user-emergent behavior" on a leash imo, or else nasty stuff like this happens.
just makes me more grateful for moderators like we have on this forum!  :transport:  and more curious about automated moderation tools. it could be a fun project to implement something that automatically rejects input with slurs etc. too bad that tool couldn't also blow up the user's keyboard as punishment, and too bad we have to put up with it in the first place lol
ps your site is VERY cool and epic! is the background from the sonic collection on gamecube? or is it a recurring sonic motif elsewhere in the series

ay thanks to both of you for the kind words  :grin: , talking about this to other people sharing their own experiences definitely helped lol.
also, the background i used isnt really mine, i found a website on neocities that had website bgs so i downloaded a checkers one and changed the colors so it could fit in my website better, it brings a lot of life to your website, i'd recommend checking this website out https://rivendell.neocities.org/backgrounds/

EDIT:
really quick edit, i just saw that tarraxahum signed my guestbook, thank you so much, that puts a smile on my face :dive:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023 @911.23 by rob64bits » Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023 @923.98 »

Sorry to hear this! Iv found that 99% of guestbook comments have been great, but there's always a 1%.

@radio Again sorry to hear that :sad: Around the time you joined, the Surf Club was posted on a rather unsavoury message board - the original poster I think did it in good faith (they wanted to show the nice side of the web) - however in reality it just opened up a lot of people to some unpleasant traffic (I only learned about this retrospectively). This happens once or twice a year, thankfully these events tend to pass pretty quickly!

Ultimately when you publish something online - particularly when you provide a way for people to give feedback - you're always gonna receive a certain amount of unpleasantness. That's not a reason not to publish! but it is something to be aware of and plan for! You can't control who shares links and where they get posted.

At the end of the day, it's a win to enjoy the web and not be intimidated off by it by sad individuals.

and more curious about automated moderation tools
It's really easy to h1d3 a w0rrd us1nng o7tee-r leeeeter2! Maybe with AI
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023 @925.71 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
robkies
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023 @928.85 »

EDIT:
really quick edit, i just saw that tarraxahum signed my guestbook, thank you so much, that puts a smile on my face :dive:
another quick edit:
yall im not only smiling im also really impressed lol, i got even more messages on my guestbook, that makes me so happy. thank you all for the support! :transport:
Memory
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023 @935.59 »

It's really easy to h1d3 a w0rrd

50 7ru3, b35713!
moderator teams should be revered as some kind of warrior priests i think.
 :chef: cheers to erryone in this thread for stirring up the happy brainchems for each other :D free therapy
robkies
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023 @958.38 »

50 7ru3, b35713!
 :chef: cheers to erryone in this thread for stirring up the happy brainchems for each other :D free therapy

agreed lol, this was a really nice experience for me, this is my first thread on this forum. actually, this is my first time i posted something on a forum lol. i also got a new guestbook comment that just says "sandy cock vacuum" but thats just one of my friends lmao
CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023 @246.60 »

Omg, this is why I don't have any of those features added to my website. You're mighty brave, and ffff...FORGET those nasty racists and negativity spreaders.

I added your site button to my website, you've got a beautiful website! I would've never believed you used the sadgrl layout builder!!

I used the layout builder too haha. I'm, uh, still working on it. You can totally tell I used the layout builder. I might need to come to you for advice on the CSS and where to get good code!

Hugs!

:4u:

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

CableCat
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Man I Love Frogs!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Worm!Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023 @247.30 »

i also got a new guestbook comment that just says "sandy cock vacuum" but thats just one of my friends lmao

That's a real one, hang onto them lol

"Sharing Tea With A Fascinating Stranger Is One Of Life’s True Delights."

~Uncle Iroh

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅☽〇☾⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
  *Help Me Hatch my Dragon Eggs!*
      Give 'em a click, plz!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023 @493.98 »

I had a lot of mean guestbook messages when I was posted on a certain imageboard thread- I tried not to let it get to me, but it was hard. You kind of have to keep in mind most people who do that are big losers though, ahah.

I stopped having a guestbook, though I'm considering having one again... Oh well.

I don't even get how you could get such a weird message, your site's pretty great...?

Remember to eat dessert <3
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023 @502.88 »

I know this is intended as a complement - but please don't do this, in any online space :ok: People who moderate are ordinary people, with flaws, egos and who often have not had lunch yet. Just be understanding and down to earth :smile:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2023 @583.78 »

oh man that's really rude of them  :sad: its unfortunate that people feel the need to go on to the internet and say mean things to other people!!!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Gotta love technology

Started by brisrayBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 4
Views: 724
Last post March 18, 2023 @869.10
by brisray
neocities comment section widget!

Started by kiki & ayanoBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 17
Views: 1771
Last post August 11, 2023 @319.69
by Kallistero
Guestbooks - what do you use?

Started by fatgrrlzBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 10
Views: 854
Last post July 30, 2023 @243.58
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi