Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @330.35 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  I've missed forums like this...

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I've missed forums like this...  (Read 623 times)
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« on: July 13, 2023 @948.15 »

I tend to use the handle "starbreaker" when I can, and it was available here so I grabbed it. I'm a long-haired metalhead from New York (stole my handle from a Judas Priest song), I code for a living, I play music sometimes, and I write bad sci-fi (it would be fanfic if I used existing characters and settings).

My website is linked in my profile. My cat helped me build it with shell scripts and a makefile. It's not flashy and it doesn't have the flashy GeoCities retro look, but if NCSA Mosaic supported UTF-8 character encoding and WEBP graphics then it would render my site purrfectly. And it works in lynx and other text-mode browsers.

Favorite bands include Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, the Blue Öyster Cult, Savatage, Blind Guardian, Thank You Scientist, and The Sisters of Mercy. Last book I finished reading was Starless by Jacqueline Carey. I'm currently re-reading The Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock.

CytricAcid
Casual Poster ⚓︎

wait another year, utopia is here

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023 @54.57 »

Hello and welcome!! Nice to see another BOC fan here, immensely cool band with insane lore.

they/them
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023 @62.33 »

Hello and welcome!! Nice to see another BOC fan here, immensely cool band with insane lore.

Oh, tell me about it. I actually wrote a post about their song "Flaming Telepaths" today.

CytricAcid
Casual Poster ⚓︎

wait another year, utopia is here

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023 @79.22 »

Oh, tell me about it. I actually wrote a post about their song "Flaming Telepaths" today.

I just read it! Flaming Telepaths, and Secret Treaties in general is one of my favorite albums of all time, from the burgeoning Imaginos lore of Subhuman and Astronomy to the delicious buildup on Dominance and Submission. When it comes to BOC lyrics, everything could connect back to Imaginos, especially of that era, so I have no doubt that it might have some tenuous connection to Imaginos. After all, iirc he's supposed to be the cause of all evil, thus in part setting off the events Flaming Telepaths is about.

But that could also just be reading too much into it. Reminds me of King Gizzard and their "Gizzverse" where some fans try to connect every song they ever wrote to the explicit lore they've put out. It's a cool thought, but I hate to imagine an entire band's catalogue with only one perspective. Cagey Cretins and Career of Evil are pretty silly to me, anyway. The 70s were pretty wacky so maybe it's a little of both.

they/them
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

oi oi

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023 @578.51 »

Welcome! Hope you find it homely... :cheerR:

Daryl Sun
Jr. Member ⚓︎

... standing on the shoulders of giants.

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023 @670.42 »

Hey, welcome to MelonLand! It's nice to see you here. I hope you enjoy your stay!

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023 @729.14 »

I just read it! Flaming Telepaths, and Secret Treaties in general is one of my favorite albums of all time, from the burgeoning Imaginos lore of Subhuman and Astronomy to the delicious buildup on Dominance and Submission. When it comes to BOC lyrics, everything could connect back to Imaginos, especially of that era, so I have no doubt that it might have some tenuous connection to Imaginos. After all, iirc he's supposed to be the cause of all evil, thus in part setting off the events Flaming Telepaths is about.

I spent a few years looking for a copy of the Imaginos album because it pretty much went out of print as soon as it dropped off the charts back in 1988. I was obsessed with finding it because of liner notes mentioning that hidden mythos in their "Career of Evil: The Metal Years" compilation. And it doesn't help that one of the villains in my fiction, Isaac Magnin, is often identified with Imaginos because in my setting Sandy Pearlman got a glimpse of the world between the lines, learned part of the truth, and wrote his poems around it.

But that could also just be reading too much into it. Reminds me of King Gizzard and their "Gizzverse" where some fans try to connect every song they ever wrote to the explicit lore they've put out. It's a cool thought, but I hate to imagine an entire band's catalogue with only one perspective.

I'm going to have to give King Gizzard a listen this weekend, but if you want a band with an underlying mythos I'd suggest checking out Ayreon (a dutch prog supergroup led by Arjen Lucassen) along with Coheed and Cambria. Many of Ayreon's albums are tenuously connected by an entity called "Forever of the Stars" from "Planet Y", and most of Coheed and Cambria's albums are based on various chapters of "The Amory Wars" by the band's guitarist and vocalist Claudio Sanchez. Sanchez also has a project called The Prize-Fighter Inferno that also draws on "The Amory Wars", but they have a different sound.

Cagey Cretins and Career of Evil are pretty silly to me, anyway. The 70s were pretty wacky so maybe it's a little of both.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of "Cagey Cretins" either, but I'll go to my grave thinking "Career of Evil" is a banger. The lyrics are a total romp, like Walter Mitty breaking bad.

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023 @730.00 »

Welcome! Hope you find it homely... :cheerR:

Hey, welcome to MelonLand! It's nice to see you here. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks. I might stick around a while. It's rather more chill than [auto redacted] Road.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023 @81.86 »

Hi star, welcome to the forum  :ozwomp: ( <-- Ozomwp is trying to be metal)

Iv spotted you doing a lot of posts around the forum; thats great to see  :grin: Im glad it working well for you! I lived in NYC for a while, what a cool city! (If you're not from the city then im very sorry  :tongue: )

Hope you enjoy the forum!

☀︎☁︎☻→ You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack! ←☻✌︎☀︎

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi