Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @337.71 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 43/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Does anyone know what an RSS feed is?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know what an RSS feed is?  (Read 403 times)
hellodreamymiku
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 01, 2023 @465.52 »

Hi everyone, I've been trying to separate my time online from social media to a more decentralized and academia focused surfing, I want to read blog posts and articles posted on the internet that have actual meaningful value, keeps me up to date with the world and is far from hate speech/sludge content so that I can learn something important from it. I asked chatgpt for some suggestions on sites I can go and read blogs from and it suggested that I subscribe to RSS feeds to keep up with sites and find content to read. I know chatgpt isn't the best "search engine" to discover parts of the web, still the suggestion on RSS feeds actually grabbed my interest and for the past hour I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is and how to use it. So far my understanding goes like this; theres rss which is a technology that grabs the latest news/content from websites and puts them together on a file, which can be read from an rss reader which kinda looks like an email inbox. Please tell me if my understanding of it was flawed. I still don't know if websites still use rss because I remember seeing the orange icon of rss ever since I was a child I just thought it was unimportant and never learned what it means, maybe it's been too long and there's no point in using an rss feed in 2023? I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about RSS. Do you use rss to have a feed outside of social media? Do you like it/is it still worth it in 2023?

Lady Lazarus

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023 @475.82 »

Of course  :grin: We actually have an RSS guide on the wiki you might find useful (you might even be able to add to it) - https://wiki.melonland.net/rss_guide

Personally I use it for following this forum, and a number of personal blogs people write! (If you run a blog I think it’s really important to offer reliable RSS) :unite:

Edit: there is also a thread where you can share feeds you enjoy! https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=307.msg1915#msg1915

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
hellodreamymiku
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023 @535.13 »

Thanks a lot melon!!! :transport: What a nice way to recieve news, seems exciting >.<

Lady Lazarus

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023 @560.00 »

Just about every website that runs WordPress provides a RSS feed. It's an undead technology. It's "dead" in the sense that it isn't commercially useful -- you can't reliably track or advertise to RSS subscribers -- but a lot of people still use it.

You could be one of them if you want.

And even though I'm reworking my site to get away from the blog pattern, I still intend to provide full-text and headlines-only Atom feeds (Atom being a successor standard to RSS; your reader can probably handle both.)

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What do you think of web feeds?

Started by m15oBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 3096
Last post December 23, 2021 @737.60
by m15o
RSS Feeds you enjoy reading?

Started by MelooonBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 10
Views: 1859
Last post November 20, 2022 @659.79
by Melooon
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3232
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi