Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @205.35 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  Decentralizing your entertainment

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Decentralizing your entertainment  (Read 1295 times)
KatKing
Casual Poster ⚓︎

One little spark is all it takes

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 30, 2023 @160.51 »

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. Everything I do is on my laptop nowadays. (I dont have a phone, but my laptop is my phone) It feels so depersonlizing, dissociative, etc, when i get on it. But thats kind of a feeling I crave, as a coping mechanism. Ive been thinking about ways to make my entertainment revolve around other things, even if its another device.

Like, for my music, Ive been thinking about getting a mp3 player radio or a record player. I think I would be able to connect more with the music since i wouldnt have infinate choices, and i would be able to listen to music without using my laptop

And I want to get a digital camera for pictures so i dont need to use a phone

Ive been going to the library and finding interesting non fiction to try and fill that itch to scroll twitter and shorts.

and Ive already transitioned myself to mainly being a traditional artist for these reasons too

I think this is generally a better way of living, i dont think our lives should revolve around one device. Ive been trying to follow this mindset online as well, like being on the indie web and watching free movies and shows instead of having a million streaming services.(ive pirated older or hard to find stuff too, i kinda feel bad about it when i do it though. It feels so necessary with the way streaming is now tho... half the stuff i want to watch i cant even find anywhere)  even just playing indie games and abandonware feels better too.

I think a big downside to this is cost though. Like, spotify is free, youtube is free, the internet is free. We have such a big access to free content (which I think is part of the problem, choice paralyses and all. which is why i think me and alot of other people are tempted to just scroll instead of finding quality content)

alot of stuff can be gotten from thrift stores or second hand, which is how i plan on trying to get mine. it might not be brand new, but i think thats ok. I think theres a whole nother conversation to be had about that, that being feeling the need for everything in your life to be perfect and aesthetic and unlived in, vrs embracing clutter and age and wear.

what are other peoples thoughts? I find a surprising lack of discussion about this on the indie web. I feel like it goes hand and hand with what alot of people are trying to do on where, just on the more physical side.

ideally, i just want to have several activities i can just do without needing to pick up my laptop.

what are some ways you kinda follow this sentimate? Im trying to find more things to switch out. Does it seem interesting to you? Any thoughts?

sorry if this is illegible, its kinda late

Make a little birdhouse in your soul
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023 @163.98 »

Well i mean, I've been using stuff on the computer more, and I do have a record player that I use. It's pretty cool. I like hanging around these websites more than Youtube or Discord, and I did get mIRC. I also do fun stuff IRL.

larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023 @190.09 »

I have been feeling the same way, and I think you have the right idea! Here are some ways that I've tried to implement this concept.

My fiance and I collect VHS tapes, DVDs, and Blu-rays because we refuse to pay for streaming services!  :evil: Plus, Netflix or what have you can't take away our physical media like they do with so many of their shows and movies.

We do the same with records and CDs, and I rarely use spotify (free version with ad blocker, lol).

I've been trying to read less social media and more books/personal websites. I challenged myself to read 20 books this year (a low number for some, but I haven't read regularly in years).

I don't own a smartphone, so any time I want to take a photo of something I need to lug out my tablet or ask whoever's with me to take one for me. I have a crappy old Kodak point and shoot but the lens doesn't close. My other, better Fujifilm point and shoot is missing its battery charger... I should probably get on that. I have a 15-year-old old Canon DSLR as well but my dad gave me the wrong size battery for it and it got stuck, LOL.

Doing some things the old, hard and less convenient way feels better to me sometimes!  :ha:

the end of an era, one starts anew
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Any/All

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023 @224.80 »

In the same boat, despite me deleting my twitter, blocking sites, and installing "addiction free" YouTube extensions. It seems that I still can't control my habits as I still watch YouTube by simply looking things up and disabling the site blocker occasionally. Just like you I also have a laptop that I use around the house and on the go which is not great considering my way of (or lack of) self-discipline.

I have considered (atleast trying) to get into reading books to help out with my problem, but the hardest part seems to be convincing myself to get up to actually getting a book off the shelf and reading it.

For the topic of "surfing the web" considering this is a web revival forum looking threw the sites is nice but I don't do it much tbh.

Funnily enough my library actually has a "games" section which contains many Nintendo switch titles that you can barrow, along with dvds and blu-ray movies.

:ozwomp: my beloved

vvinrg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's mine! My text! You can't have it!! Bwahaha!!!

StatusCafe: winrg
iMood: winrg

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023 @565.34 »

As far as music goes, If you're more tech-savvy you could try setting up Airsonic. It lets you import your entire(tagged) music library, and then will run it like a streaming service which you can access via a webpage or app. It provides the convenience of streaming services without sacrificing the personal connection to music that a library provides. I run it myself and it's one of the best things I've setup. There's also Navidrome but I remember having issues with setting it up and ultimately abandoning it.
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023 @665.86 »

This is something I like to do! I have an iPod nano and a DVD collection (and a few videotapes) as well as a Kindle and a whole load of physical books. I own some CDs (including some k-pop albums) but I doubt I'll keep all of them since I never listen to CDs. I'll mostly probably keep my favourite CDs for sentimental value, and I'm definitely taking most of my kpop albums (the five for my favourite group) or at least my favourite few---I think the big paring-down of my physical media will be what I keep with me and what I leave at home when I go to college.

Also, pro-tip: if it's on streaming but you don't want to stream, there's a good chance, especially if it's good-sized, that your local library has it! So you don't have to pay for streaming, and it's a bit like going to a video store but free!

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023 @54.85 »

the need for everything in your life to be perfect and aesthetic and unlived in, vrs embracing clutter and age and wear.

So this actually reminds me of a theory I had! When I first move into a new environment I always cherish the feeling of a clean, new room, a blank canvas. So to try and retain that feeling, I decided to decorate in a minimalistic blue color scheme and keep everything clean and fresh feeling. Bad move, it made my room cold and depressing LMAO, I thought it's as relevant to the discussion. As it turns out, modern and minimalistic is nice in theory, depressing in practice. WHICH leads into my next point!!
My friends and family think I'm a clutter bug with my gadgets and gizmos, but I've been a long time fan of old tech and knick knacks! My latest addition is a tape player I got for $3!! I also dug out my Diskman and it's so fun!! Physical media really does help foster a connection between person and the media they consume. It gives a story, about how you found the player for a good deal, got the tape from a local record store, or listened to it on you walk every day to the grocery store. Stuff like that. And for books and other non-digital stuff, it still has more of a connection than digital counterparts. Not that digital can't make these connections, far from it, but for tech nerds like us (us referring to the Wild Web community at large) it generally has a less novel factor to it.
One last point. I feel like I've mentioned this on the forum, so I'll just paraphrase! Buying second hand give items a second chance at life which is nice. I also like to think about their "story". Like a floppy disk with old vacation pics on it, or a book with a Photo Booth strip as a bookmark! Not only are you buying second-hand, but you're becoming part of the thing's history! I once bought a cowboy shirt from a vintage costume shop, and the cashier was able to tell me about what performance it was used in! It was some western play that a local troupe put on. I think it was Oklahoma?
With second hand stuff, keep the story going! That's it for my ramble lol

Scootarooni
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: scootarooni
iMood: scootarooni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023 @852.97 »

Oh, this isn't something I've ever thought about! Or realized I was doing in some cases! :^O

I'm always lugging around at least three cameras when I'm out somewhere. It's absolutely so much more satisfying taking photos from my instax or fujifilm camera than my phone. I just wish I had a little set up or local place where I could develop film myself >_< I love the process so much!!!

Art helps me focus, but instead of always pulling out my ipad to draw while I watch a show or movie or talking to a friend I'll mix it up! I'll crochet or color in a coloring book...really anything traditional.

And I did recently get a new library card! I think it might be a good idea for me to spend some time actually in the library, reading.

yatagarasu

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023 @298.73 »

I like that idea of not being connected all the time and having things to read and watch offline so to speak. That's why I still prefer physical media like hard copies of books, cds and blurays/dvds. I also have an archive of music that I can load onto an mp3 player. I also download and store lots of youtube videos. If there is a music track I can rip that out too for use on my mp3 player.
Bugless
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023 @460.79 »

I've been thinking about this a lot too! I want to make my own little library of music, film, audiobooks etc on an external harddrive... the biggest problem of course being that it takes time and effort whereas opening up netflix takes only a few seconds... I find it very hard to get the boost of energy to get started, does anyone have any tips?

I think a big downside to this is cost though. Like, spotify is free, youtube is free, the internet is free. We have such a big access to free content (which I think is part of the problem, choice paralyses and all. which is why i think me and alot of other people are tempted to just scroll instead of finding quality content)

@KatKing I think this point you made is interesting, because I don't think the internet is free anymore, or at least, it won't be very soon. Ads are increasing, the push to subscribe to websites, channels, social media etc is all increasing. I think we are at the very end of the free internet, so I think this is the best time to be decentralising entertainment media! I think it's best to take a step like this while we still have choice, rather than as a last resort.

One last point. I feel like I've mentioned this on the forum, so I'll just paraphrase! Buying second hand give items a second chance at life which is nice. I also like to think about their "story". Like a floppy disk with old vacation pics on it, or a book with a Photo Booth strip as a bookmark! Not only are you buying second-hand, but you're becoming part of the thing's history!
@Bingus_Baby I totally agree, the other week I picked up a book from a little free library and it had reciepts nd bus tickets in it from 2011. It was very fun imagining what this stranger was up to while they were reading this book!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023 @845.22 »

Does it seem interesting to you? Any thoughts?

Thank you for the interesting thread :4u:

It really is interesting from the perspective of creating more friction, and a tactile experience. Just using the laptop means being static, and clicking, no matter what action you take - typing, listening to music, messaging, and browsing the web share a lot of the same actions. But decentralizing can make you get up, search, touch another device, and maybe sit or lie down somewhere else, and immerse yourself in another world and another user interface (digital or analog). Doing different activities now also has different tactile feels and separates them from each other. That can really help with feeling depersonalized and absent because it forces you to be in the moment more and create a little time of mindfulness.

But I have to say, I am a bit different in this regard - I love combining and centralizing as much as possible, because minimalizing and making things more efficient creates a great satisfaction for me. I feel in control then, productive, safe. It is less things I have to keep track of to not lose, misplace, less to replace when it breaks, less to remember to charge in time for my need (context: I have a phone, bluetooth in-ear headphones, a tablet, a chargeable pen for it, two handheld consoles and a smartwatch - keeping all topped up can be a pain when you're busy and mentally all over the place because of other things, and this is why I want to reduce them too). It feels like a lot of my things are empty just when I need them, so the less I have to charge, the better.

I also struggle with executive dysfunction at times, which means I want to do the things I wanna do badly, but somehow cannot start doing them. Different things can hold me back: being overwhelmed, stressed, tired, too perfectionist, or the little hurdles and friction is too big.
For me therefore, it makes a difference if something can be readily done with a device that is easily reachable or I already use, or if I first have to find this and that and set it up or remember to charge it. It lowers my inhibition towards switching activities and getting started when my brain has an issue with these. I know it makes me more reliant on just one device, but it is worth it for me :smile:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023 @846.93 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023 @3.29 »

My friends and family think I'm a clutter bug with my gadgets and gizmos, but I've been a long time fan of old tech and knick knacks!
I'm pretty sure people in my social circles think the same about me. They've never outright said it, but whenever something arrives for me in the mail, my family always makes passive remarks like "You ordering more shit?".

In fact, as I speak, there are piles of tapes, DVDs and games I plan to get through, but honestly. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't plan to keep all of these for the record, just keep the ones I enjoy and then sell/donate the rest.

Physical media really does help foster a connection between person and the media they consume. It gives a story, about how you found the player for a good deal, got the tape from a local record store, or listened to it on you walk every day to the grocery store. Stuff like that. And for books and other non-digital stuff, it still has more of a connection than digital counterparts. Not that digital can't make these connections, far from it, but for tech nerds like us (us referring to the Wild Web community at large) it generally has a less novel factor to it.
One last point. I feel like I've mentioned this on the forum, so I'll just paraphrase! Buying second hand give items a second chance at life which is nice. I also like to think about their "story". Like a floppy disk with old vacation pics on it, or a book with a Photo Booth strip as a bookmark! Not only are you buying second-hand, but you're becoming part of the thing's history! I once bought a cowboy shirt from a vintage costume shop, and the cashier was able to tell me about what performance it was used in! It was some western play that a local troupe put on. I think it was Oklahoma?
With second hand stuff, keep the story going! That's it for my ramble lol

This is how I feel about physical and second hand media as well! Honestly got nothing to add here, just saying you nailed it right on the head! :D

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023 @39.18 »

I'm pretty sure people in my social circles think the same about me. They've never outright said it, but whenever something arrives for me in the mail, my family always makes passive remarks like "You ordering more shit?".
That part about the passive remarks hits close to home for me, they make passive remarks about not just the old tech stuff i do, but everything else too. At least having stuff all over the place adds more character to a room than just ultra clean rooms, which is what people think the house "should" be

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023 @87.05 »

That part about the passive remarks hits close to home for me, they make passive remarks about not just the old tech stuff i do, but everything else too. At least having stuff all over the place adds more character to a room than just ultra clean rooms, which is what people think the house "should" be

Yeah, exactly. I find "clean" rooms very boring. Obviously, having a sanitary room is important, but if you have a room with next to nothing in it, it kind of makes me uncomfortable?

I feel much more comfortable in a room full of stuff, even if that stuff isn't organised.

This guy's room is something I'd love to have one day. Just filled to the ceiling with films, games, music, etc!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
maplebear
Casual Poster ⚓︎

୨୧ head in the clouds *✲゚*。⋆

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2023 @382.96 »

i loved reading your post and everyone's comments on it! this is something i've been thinking about too. i hate when i spend the whole day on my computer (which is kinda hard not too, since i work from home...) and on my phone and then to relax i turn on the tv and use either youtube or netflix... it feels so unnatural to be constantly using something.
the way i've been trying to solve this is by reading even more than before (and taking books out of my local library!), and trying to go back to old hobbies that don't require me to use anything digital (watercolour, crochet, journaling, collages...) but even some of those i end up using my phone to check stuff (for example if i'm doing some crochet i need to check online to see if i'm doing the stitches correctly etc)
i'm so happy to see that many of you have a mp3 player or something to listen to music other than your phones!! i would love to have a record player and maybe a discman - back in my mom's house i still have my old cds so that would be fun

however sometimes i feel like trying to disconnect and using other devices (like mp3 player, analog camera, dvd player, etc) are not only a bit harder to do but requires you to spend more money? since i already have a phone that does all of that, buying all separate devices and their accessories (dvds, film, paying to develop film, cds, etc) is not really possible for everyone. i have two analog cameras and i hardly use them because of this! :( it makes me very sad but it's just so expensive here where i live...

sorry for the rant maybe this made no sense ! !

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi