Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @780.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 76/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  Internet Radio

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Internet Radio  (Read 934 times)
Sofly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Oh hey hi

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 14, 2023 @619.35 »

Oh hey hi

I've been listening to a lot of internet radio as of recently, it's the best way i have to discover new music and artists, and i was helped a lot by Wacup's integrated radio library

I ended up discovering a lot of cool radio stations, such as mosco.win, which focuses on Breakcore and Mashcore, or RuinNations, which focuses on Darkwave

However, for me there's no such thing as knowing too many options regarding music discoverability, and the radio browser i mentioned before doesn't really work 100% of the time, as such my options are still limited

So i ask you, do you know of any cool and interesting radio station that you listen regularly? (or just know of it's existence), i'd love to hear about new genres or experiences :transport:

Profile pic is from Secret Little Haven
k4jtek
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023 @704.02 »

gub
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023 @677.99 »

Cathedral13 is pretty cool, it's goth and goth-adjacent music. retrowave.ru isn't a proper live radio but it is exactly what it says on the tin. Radio_OSC has some good tracks, it's another -wave station with pre-made setlists for the most part. And of course, last but not least is KP Radio, which is mostly-automated handpicked music with some actual broadcasts. Plus KP's put joke ads into the stream so it's just like the real deal!  :grin:

wangobangy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

vampires, please give me a chance

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: wangobangy

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023 @98.07 »

I have a browser extension called Worldwide Radio (link is for Firefox) that does exactly what it says on the tin, gives you access to radio stations all over the world. There are smaller stations on there that are interesting, and even some ones that are local to me that I had no idea existed. Sadly, some of the stations on there are no longer active. It's nice to have as a browser extension, and they even link the stations website when you tune in, in case you prefer to listen right in a browser window.

vashti
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023 @225.51 »

A lot of you have probably already heard of this site, but Vashti's fond of Radio Garden! I discovered it somewhat recently & it's fun to just listen to random stations. The premise is that it's a collection of different radio stations from around the world. I'm partial to Radio Pikez in Brest, France. This site is really fun because I'm exposed to all sorts of music I wouldn't normally listen to. It's also just interesting to me, because I had no idea that English language music was so common in other countries. When I was listening to the radio in Japan & France, so many of the songs were in English.
manyface
Casual Poster ⚓︎

the pieces of the puzzle are waiting!

StatusCafe: manyface
iMood: manyface

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023 @797.12 »

okay, so this is some real weeb shit, i'm aware, but...

gensokyo radio is an online radio that plays fanmade touhou arranges/mixes. and as someone who really enjoys those, i like gensokyo radio a lot!

if i had to explain why i like touhou doujin music so much, i'd say it's because there's a whole lot of creative diversity to how people rework the same leitmotifs and themes, and when i recognise the familiar theme being explored in a new way, it's really comforting and nice to my autistic brain. so maybe whoever is reading this will check out touhou music and gensokyo radio despite it being "cringe".

alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

NEW PLASTIC TREE 5.29 !!!!1!!!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024 @95.81 »

Wow, i'm so glad there's a topic on this, i hadn't seen this before!
I'm already really passionate about community radio, and my school has an online radio that i DJ for. It's been an awesome experience!
Some i would recommend are
Oxide Radio (Oxford University's online radio)
WMUC (University of Maryland's online radio)
Dublab
Jackhouse Radio
Radio Free Fedi
Rainwave.cc
WVAU (American University's online radio)
I'm working on archiving my favorite online radio sites and hopefully starting my own at https://angelfishes.neocities.org/radioenigma.
I'm definitely gonna keep tabs on this thread!!

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024 @188.00 »

Well hello fellow masco.win listener! glad to see someone else having some breakcore fun!

as for what else I’m aware of, there’s the Seeburg 1000 (also featured on the forum, head to the top right) which streams old background music, things you’d hear in restaurants, supermarkets, and the like. in my search for vaporwave I’ve found Yumi Co. (their main thing is Japanese pop) and Nightwave Plaza. There’s also Tilderadio, ran by some fellows over at the Tildeverse, never had anything interesting whenever I tuned in but it sure does exist.

I have no idea what I’m doing.
xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I wonder whats for DINNER

View Profile WWW

Tin WhistleJoined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024 @93.67 »

So cool :ha: ! I actually just got into the whole scene like 2 weeks ago also through WACUP's SHOUTcast library! I was getting kind of bored with my usual MP3 playlists and wanted something a little more randomized.

Totally agree that the SHOUTcast library is a mixed bag as most of them are no longer functional. Kind of fascinating though, I wonder how long some of these stations have been around and of the ones still functional, if they are even still being updated with new music?

And of course, last but not least is KP Radio, which is mostly-automated handpicked music with some actual broadcasts. Plus KP's put joke ads into the stream so it's just like the real deal!  :grin:

Got to agree with Gub here; KP Radio is amazing! I remember seeing KingPoss' site back when it was first made and being completely awestruck at the idea of someone making a radio station.. ON THE COMPUTER! I can't catch the live broadcasts due to time differences but the auto DJ with the little ads sprinkled in is brilliant!  :ozwomp:

Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024 @151.15 »

I was about to post about this! Similar to the Web Revival, I (secretly) wish and hope for a "Radio Revival". Maybe it could happen?

It's easy to idealize radio in the same way it's easy to idealize the old web. But tbh a lot of old radio was commercial and full of ads; at least by me we only had a few real independent or public stations.

I think it would be incredible if there was some sort of internet version where people could get slots and tune in but to be honest I'm not sure how it would work?

I guess I just wish there was a way for folks to broadcast independently, and I think you can online, but I wish there were more options.

Anyway I'm rambling but I think their is a need and desire for all types of online radio!!
m1k3

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024 @37.35 »

There's a lot of great recommendations here. I know it's well known but I still love most of what SomaFM streams. I'm particularly a fan of their DEF CON Radio and Synphaera Radio channels. One of the DJs is currently working on a Wavepool (wave music) channel which is being tested on their "Specials" channel.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024 @476.31 »

What a charm to just put a link in Winamp or Audacious on whatever slow computer and have a good time. Add a video to it, and it would be much more difficult to stream it. Audio-only is just super efficent from a technical point of view. Hopefully the low-fi option of 64kbits is considered useful in that regard.

Not a live internet radio per se, but rias1.de is a radio archive, having 1 hour long radio broadcasts. You can put those MP3 links in your player as well and play it like it would be radio. This link down here guides you to the international "pirate" stations, as most other broadcasts on this site are in German.
http://www.rias1.de/pirate1.htm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 17
Views: 3727
Last post April 21, 2023 @795.87
by Guest
Gemini, an internet protocol

Started by m15oBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 16
Views: 3329
Last post April 19, 2024 @292.67
by arcus
I miss the old internet-but I never experienced it.

Started by syx (dead)Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 13
Views: 2216
Last post October 08, 2022 @645.95
by manpaint

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi