Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @290.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  First game you ever played?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: First game you ever played?  (Read 6386 times)
pleb-hates-the-modern-web
Casual Poster

is this thing on?

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022 @545.45 »

spyro the dragon on the original playstation. i was very young and had no concept of how to play video games; i remember i just thought it was very cool i could run around as a dragon and breathe fire.
Neonriser
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of Nett

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: neonriser
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022 @876.75 »

The earliest game I every played was Arthur's Birthday, which I got on my 2nd or 3rd birthday. It was one of those kid's games that came with a disc. With the disc you install the game into your computer and you can only play it if you had the respective disc on your computer. So if you want to play a bunch of minigames starring a meekarat and his warthog buddy, you need a Lion King disc. If you want to create a bunch of clay abominations, you need to have a PlayDoh disc. And if you want to go on a wild adventure involving talking food, then the Pajama Sam disc is right up your alley.

Nowadays we don't need discs to play or install games anymore. We just need the internet.

Web design is my passion!

Grafo Volaverunt
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022 @201.31 »

The first game I remember playing is this one: Road Fighter for the NES.

I remember I was just in a state of trance just watching that little red car moving around the screen hehehe. :ozwomp: I was 6 back then
brawler

i believe in nissan silvia j's

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022 @962.96 »

Gran Turismo 2! I still pop it in sometimes just to see that fantastic intro with "The Cardigans - My favorite game".

CyberCat2000
Casual Poster

Astral Dragon Mech Pilot

StatusCafe: cybercat2000

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022 @51.69 »

I think my earliest known memory of ANY game at all was GORILLA.BAS, that little gorilla game included as a BASIC program was DOS. I admit, I just made up random numbers when it came to actually playing it. (I do remember the smiling sun, though...)

As for my first "real" game? Well, it all started when we got a bunch of DOS shareware CDs (namely, the Aztech Home Entertainment series). The two I think I remember the earliest? Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Wolfenstein 3D. Regardless, I recall sitting with my father, playing together...

My first console game? Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES. Specifically, Super Mario Bros 3.

Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022 @148.09 »

Oh hey, those Aztech shareware CDs were some of my earliest games too! I had the Mac version, not the DOS version, but still! It's neat to see a mention of it pop up here :ozwomp:

MrsMoe
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2022 @995.22 »

I grew up on a LOT of point and click edutainment games, but my earliest memory would probably have to be Reader Rabbit Toddler. Reader Rabbit and Jumpstart were both the shit when I was little, but my first experience with any computer was with this game.

I suddenly remembered this game's existence a few months ago and got so overwhelmed with nostalgia. Ever since then, I've been obsessed with tracking down old PC games I used to love.

I find this one part really creepy now as an adult though... :notgood:

Other games I liked were Alphabet Express, Candyland, Barbie as Rapunzel: A Creative Adventure, My Disney Kitchen, and anything by Humongous Entertainment (especially Pajama Sam).

NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rockin' at the Dance of Exis

iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

View Profile WWW

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022 @132.79 »

My sister had a Gamecube and a PS2 when we were growing up, and I always gravitated to the Gamecube for some reason. The first two games I ever played were also the first two I typically to watch her play- Luigi's Mansion and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Man, Luigi's Mansion just ages great. It was made as a showcase for the console's graphical abilities, and they absolutely nailed it in that regard. Lighting effects are fantastic, and the whole mansion perfectly walks the fine line between "so dark that you can't see" and "so bright that you start to lose atmosphere". The ghosts in this game just feel menacing, like playful characters performing actual life-and-death shenanigans with poor Luigi. And boy, howdy- they gave Luigi the whole A button to just call "Mario" to varying degrees of desperation. So you'll hear Luigi complete the background music with his humming and, just for the heck of it, press A to hear him shout his brother's name. And that ending... man, it gets me going every time.

Press A to "MAAARIOOOOOOOOO"

Sonic Adventure 2- both the original and the Gamecube port, SA2 Battle- get flack because the only parts with consistent quality are the Sonic/Shadow levels; the shooter and hunting levels are steps down from how they were executed in SA1. But SA2 has the better Chao Garden, so I don't give a [REDACTED]. My sister and I basically played it for the Chao Garden, which for those who don't know, was basically a fully functional and surprisingly deep virtual pet simulator that was added to the game as completely optional side content. Just look it up sometime, and you'll see what I mean. Most of your rewards in levels could be funneled into this mode to help you raise your chao, and you could have them perform in races or karate for emblems and second-hand clout. I loved the story of the game, too; it was bonkers and edgy in a lot of ways, but I always love that sort of campy vibe in games because it's always just such a good time. And heck! The game's a load of fun too, especially if you're not stressing over getting all A ranks! I remember, as a kid, bypassing huge portions of Final Rush (Sonic's final level) by jumping from the top of grind rails and landing near the bottom with moderate precision. Plus, having a bunch of different game styles in one package was great variety when you're a kid with, like, 4 games to start out.

Also, between the two games, I've developed an overzealous love for retro gemstone models. Devs really liked rendering gems back then!
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2022 @937.74 »

Oooo the Chao Garden was a huge inspiration, although I really liked the one on Sonic Advance most (maybe because its all I had). I used to have the sprite sheet for it stuck to my bedroom wall :ozwomp: Also Reader Rabbit is a professional game *solemn nod*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022 @939.24 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
DJoftheCoven
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Eng. Esp. Fra. 한

View Profile WWW

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022 @220.75 »

The first game that I can remember playing as a kid was Super Mario Bros Wii! My brother and I were totally obsessed with it. To this day, we still load it up every now and again to play it with each other :grin:. We can go through level 1-1 without even looking at the screen!

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2022 @656.44 »

The first game I ever remember playing is the original Sonic The Hedgehog on Mega Drive when I was 3. (I'm not that old, I got a Mega Drive in 1998!)

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022 @786.17 »

I don't quite remember, but I believe it was The Legend of Zelda on NES. Good place to start with one of the earliest console classics!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022 @795.31 by Veezle » Logged
tenkai_no_perusona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

あたしは暗い旅に出る

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022 @335.60 »

Disney's Animated Storybook - Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree. I used to love Pooh when I was a kid, and my dad bought this for me along with VHS tapes of the many Pooh series and movies available at the time.

It's still a vibe to this day. And it got me into computers very soon in my life.

blajehobbs44

mop

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022 @374.99 »

it was some educational game, i don' remember more other than main character being atnthropomorphic cartoony bunny, like roger rabbit. First game i've beaten however is probably Bioshock :melon:
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022 @132.49 »

Such a great question, and so difficult to recall... am I that old?! Haha.

I think it must've been Free Ski. I used to play it on Windows 3.1. It looks like it's still possible to play it today from here. Beware, as you progress there might be a monster that might follow you and you may be traumatized. But it's fun!

Free Ski might be my first. I remember it being on the computers at school, but we had an old Windows 3.1 computer at home and I remember playing Gertrude's Secrets and some Donald Duck game that I can't find the name of anymore.

The first "real" game I played was Sonic 2 on my friend's GameGear. I was obsessed with it the first time he let me try it, so I begged my parents for a GameGear for Christmas. Instead they got us a Genesis with Sonic 2 :cheesy:

The first game I ever remember playing is the original Sonic The Hedgehog on Mega Drive when I was 3. (I'm not that old, I got a Mega Drive in 1998!)

If I didn't already know that I'm old, this would be a rude awakening. :tongue:

* Gertrudes_Secrets_1986_screenshot.gif (43.38 kB, 450x283 - viewed 120 times.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022 @134.49 by MamboGator » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 1
Views: 1702
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
°˖ ✧-:game assets:・゚✧

Started by cinniBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 1
Views: 1849
Last post November 23, 2021 @816.09
by Neonriser
What's your favourite mobile game?

Started by NeonriserBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 35
Views: 4200
Last post March 22, 2024 @293.21
by georgemoody

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi