Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @950.83 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 65/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: Tagged posts on neocities blog?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: Tagged posts on neocities blog?  (Read 590 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 19, 2023 @686.09 »

Hi, I have been working on creating a blog on one of my Neocities' sites, and I would love to implement tags.
I wanna tag a post like #steamdeck so that I can link to only posts tagged as that (for example website.neocities.org/tagged/steamdeck, similar to how Tumblr does it).
I feel kinda lost on how to start - is this possible with simple HTML/CSS, does this need some JS libraries or does this potentially require something deeper on the backend that isn't possible with Neocities (since they don't allow php etc.)? My first hunch would be that it does, because something on the backend is putting them together since it is not a static website. Am I correct?

If it doesn't work, I might use bearblog, but I wanna try it myself first so I learn something and also don't rely on others' platforms too much.
I inspected and viewed page source for a couple tags on blogs there, but I can't figure out how it works.

Thank you in advance!

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023 @747.77 »

You could absolutely do this with Neocities, it just wouldn't be automatic. Like, you'd have to make pages for each tag, and if you wanted the url to be like website.neocities.org/tagged/steamdeck, you'd need to make a folder named "tagged" that each tag page is inside. Then you'd have to update the list of posts on each tag page manually, and make sure the links on both the tag pages and the post itself (for linking to the tag pages) go to the correct place.
You may also be able to implement this with Zonelets, which has a section in the FAQ about tagging, or by using a static site generator like Eleventy through their collections feature, though Eleventy definitely has a bit of a learning curve and doing it with Zonelets would require JavaScript knowledge.
Honestly, I've used Eleventy before and know how to use the collections feature, and my current host allows PHP so there's probably other ways to implement tagging on my blog page too (my bookmarks page has tags implemented so I could probably use that on the blog itself in a similar way), but I recently started writing blog posts on bearblog.dev instead of on my site itself anyways because it's just more convenient. I don't feel like thinking too much about coding and all that when I'm just trying to write a blog post, haha, though that's just my personal feelings on the matter and you may feel differently.
Yukari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

RISK IT for the BISCUIT

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023 @759.77 »

There’s a fork of Zonelets called Zonelots that has tagging built in!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023 @777.06 »

Zonelets with tags seems like a great option; manually doing tag pages is also a totally valid option.

You can also do it with JavaScript - you'd need a separate list of all links to blog posts and their tags for your script to read; then you can search that list using your # and generate a list of results. You don't need any fancy libraries to do that!

The code to set the # in a url is:
Code
location.replace("#" + varThatContainsTag);

And the code to get it is:
Code
let myHash = window.location.hash;

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023 @949.79 »

You could absolutely do this with Neocities, it just wouldn't be automatic.
That's kind of the issue :grin: your way with the folders, static sites and manually updating would absolutely work, but it would be a real hassle honestly. I would love if it was mostly automated.

You can also do it with JavaScript - you'd need a separate list of all links to blog posts and their tags for your script to read; then you can search that list using your # and generate a list of results. You don't need any fancy libraries to do that!

This looks super promising, thank you! I will try that out the coming days and see how it works out. :smile:

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023 @842.73 »

Just as an update, may be disappointing, but hopefully this thread is at least useful for other people in the future :smile: I likely won't try out the above solutions because I've decided not to selfhost for now. I want to focus on writing and publishing, and spend less time maintaining and reworking the blog itself. I've also read this chost (cohost post) that was helpful in me settling on this.

Regardless of that, I thank you for helping and providing possible solutions for this :4u:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1037
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
What do you blog about?

Started by NightdriftBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 33
Views: 4795
Last post April 24, 2024 @797.50
by Klopnis
I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1311
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi