Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @231.24 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ☑︎ ∙ Events
| | | |-+  Tournament of Melonland: OpenHexagon

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tournament of Melonland: OpenHexagon  (Read 2406 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 28, 2023 @14.40 »

ToM: Tournament of Melonland - Instance 1: OpenHexagon

Description

OpenHexagon is a faithful OpenSource clone of the indie game classic "SuperHexagon". You control a little triangle bound to the sides of a hexagon in the middle of the screen. Barriers move from the outside of the screen towards the center, and your target is to evade them as long as possible. The visuals are great (careful: this game is dangerous for people who suffer from photosensitive epilepsy!), and the sound is apt to get you into the flow.

OpenHexagon requires good reactions, timing, a bit of rythm and quite some patience, but is quite addicting.
It controls a bit different from SuperHexagon, so being trained there might even be a bit of a disadvantage ;P.

How to get it?
Download it at the authors page, or just click here.

Extract the archive, and boot up the file "SSVOpenHexagon.exe". It will ask you to enter a Profile name; enter your nick and press return. You can than choose a level with left/right and influence the difficulty with up/down.

There is a Linux version available, but unfortunately defunct - I used Wine to play it, this worked out of the box w/o any trouble.

Note: You need v1.92; the Steam version is almost a different game and costs money. You don't need it.

Tournament

Target:
We play on time, Level "Pointless" (First after Babysteps, the Tutorial) on Difficulty 1.
Survive as long as possible.

Joining:
No need to register beforehand. Just post a Screenshot showing the level selection and your time in this thread, like this one:
https://imgur.com/0595JvI.png (feel free to use the image tag to link it directly in your post: It makes things easier for me and others - I just didn't do it to keep this post more tidy).

I will then update the table in the first post in this thread.
Feel free to submit multiple scores! I will always use your best, and it helps to build some tension and competition :).

Duration:
Submissions close as the forum closes on Monday, the 23.10.23. I will update the results and call out the Winner on the Tuesday afterwards.

Gameplay hints/b]:
  • Play the Tutorial first
  • The game might tire you out after a few attempts. If you don't get positive results, take a break - it often helps.
  • If you get better, it might help to go to a later level, and then return to "Pointless" to enable further improvements!
  • Don't stress yourself

General Information:
Use this thread to post your times or to discuss this competition! If you have suggestions for future competitions, about the rules, and so on, please post them in this thread. Helps to keep the overview ;).

Again, feel free to frequently update your score by posting a screenshot here; lets hope for some good time chases  :ok: 

Tournament is over. Winner: myleszey!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023 @983.83 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023 @30.22 »

Score-Table
NameTime
myleszey170.022
Snow166.704
akesi154.481
Kallistero139.5
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft132.081
Finel45.5094
Melooon43.4784
Cobra!32.1563
yuentp29.99
tarraxahum22.27
SilkSkull7.281
Placeholder0
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023 @629.68 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023 @81.50 »

I really wish the game's control scheme was closer to regular rhythm games, the no sensitivity is very hard to get used to but it seems interesting and now I wanna try some more!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023 @97.15 »

It is indeed hard to come into, but I think it is possible. Stay onto it, it's worth :D. Isn't this game dwell good looking?

Took me the whole evening to get 50 seconds. I know that some people can play for something like hours in SuperHexagon; wondering if I manage to break the 5 min mark ;).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023 @98.69 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023 @476.79 »

Okay, after many attempts, not too shabby for someone who never really touched rhythm games before. Hopefully I can improve on that!

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Memory
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023 @504.63 »

Here's mine. My high score is 113. This is so much fun!!  :ozwomp: It gets really fast after about 70, but the more you play you'll start to pick up a pattern on where to move. It's still pretty tricky though!

* Snow OpenHexagon High Score 113.PNG (59.7 kB, 1920x1080 - viewed 24 times.)
yuentp
Casual Poster ⚓︎

probably napping

StatusCafe: yuentp
iMood: yuentp
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023 @531.18 »

This was tragic to see lol I'm terrible at every single rythm game there is. But it was so much fun!! I love the music and the looks and it's such a fun experience :D I will try to improve my score before the deadline but I dont have faith in any kind of improvement lol 22.76 it is :3

Finel
Casual Poster ⚓︎

AY UP!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023 @556.41 »

To be honest I am not a fan of SuperHexagon, however I do love a tournament so I decided to give it a shot.

Started the game and for some reason in the full screen version the hexagon is the bottom right corner of my screen which made the game unnecessarily hard. After I fixed that (opened the windowed version) I started to really get into it.

Went from dying immediately to consistently passing 20. I my best run I got to 45. Will go back to try and get a better score.

Finel ✡ - He/They
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023 @596.52 »

Updated!

Snow is the unrivaled leader of the pack  - for now. Keep up to it people! :D

Thanks for participating @ all!

To be honest I am not a fan of SuperHexagon, however I do love a tournament so I decided to give it a shot.

Wasn't sure what to pick and thought that it would be a nice game for a first tournament. If there is interest we can repeat the thing with another game after this - I'd be surely down to it ;). Feel invited to post direct suggestions for games in the other thread!
But you came into it, and are hounding me hard - 6 more seconds and you got me, I'll have to improve ;).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023 @600.38 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023 @610.76 »

Ooph, I did my best (43.4 so far)! Though I totally recommend switching off the built-in music and putting on some random mod archive tunes  :grin:

You definitely do start to get into the pattern of it though:

Started the game and for some reason in the full screen version the hexagon is the bottom right corner of my screen
I had this issue too; you need to go into Windows Display Options and set scaling to 100% - you prob had it at 125% like me!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023 @614.18 »

Updated!
Up until now I can stand the default music. Might switch over to something else in a few days.

Edit:
Improved a bit. Still no challenge to Snow.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023 @712.01 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

yuentp
Casual Poster ⚓︎

probably napping

StatusCafe: yuentp
iMood: yuentp

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023 @781.75 »

update!!
i just got a slightly higher score lol

myleszey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rabbit

View Profile WWW

Two SSL certificates for the price of oneFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023 @10.49 »

I'm pretty familiar with Super Hexagon (though I never completed it with 60 seconds on each stage), so I knew what I was getting into... I didn't expect it to speed up so much on the first level though.

akesi
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023 @69.75 »

I love the idea of a challenge like this! I feel like I have a bit of an unfair advantage, about 6 years ago I played the original all the way through (1 minute+ in each stage). Took a while for my muscle memory to return though. This is a game where I totally zone out while playing it, like, during the run where I got this record, a friend messaged me that discord file support is ending and I was thinking about that the whole time. The ability to immediately restart after losing really adds to the unbroken trance-like state, gah I forgot how addicting it is

Record: 131.179

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023 @468.92 »

Updated!

Oh my gosh, the pros have entered the parquet :D.
Snow, who take a head-start is now strongly contested by new opponents who entered the field out of the shadows!

Don't be concerned about having a a advantage due to prior experience - as said, I'm not sure how well it does translate, and you can't fully evade it when doing such a thing (when playing TETRIS - which I absolutely would love to do here - there will also surely be some wise guys around).

I agree that it is damn hypnotic, especially when one finally brakes the 60s mark.

I'll try to get you, but atm I'm stuck at ~80sec.

Service announcement: I'm off over the weekend! Next update will probably be done at Sunday eve. Have nice days!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023 @632.96 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonLand Wiki

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 11
Views: 3425
Last post June 22, 2024 @94.35
by bby
MelonLand Vivaldi Theme ♡

Replies: 6
Views: 2034
Last post March 05, 2023 @376.64
by doubleincision
MelonLand Surf Club (webring) - Now Live

Replies: 23
Views: 3178
Last post April 24, 2024 @729.99
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi