Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @868.19 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 73/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Asimov - Foundation Series

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Asimov - Foundation Series  (Read 464 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: August 01, 2023 @790.95 »

After binge watching the new Foundation TV series and I,Robot already being one of my favourite movies; I decided It was time to take the plunge into the book series which is very long and a bit intimidating - but so far Im enjoying it so I thought Id log it here!

Firstly; apologies if I get major facts wrong here; but from what I gather, the Asimov universe is a chaotic group of short stories and histories of the universe written between the 1940s-1990s. The story starts around 1996 (as it was imagined in 1950) and ends sometime around 48000. It covers the philosophical evolution of humanity and robots and mathematics, and charts the rise and fall of several interplanetary empires and societies and ultimately ends up focusing on a project known as the "Foundation" who's aim is to prevent a galactic dark age (I assume inspired by the dark ages experienced after the fall of the Roman empire.)

Im following the books in this order that was recommended by Asimov himself!

• The Complete Robot (1982) and/or I, Robot (1950)
  • Caves of Steel (1954)
  • The Naked Sun (1957)
  • The Robots of Dawn (1983)
  • Robots and Empire (1985)
  • The Currents of Space (1952)
  • The Stars, Like Dust (1951)
  • Pebble in the Sky (1950)
  • Prelude to Foundation (1988)
  • Note: Forward the Foundation (1993) was then unpublished, but would have followed Prelude.
  • Foundation (1951)
  • Foundation and Empire (1952)
  • Second Foundation (1953)
  • Foundation's Edge (1982)
  • Foundation and Earth (1986)

So far Im still on book 1 (Im listening to audiobooks because Im a slow reader), but its great (admittedly I enjoy the slow bureaucratic pace of 1950s scifi books)

Have you read the series? Did you enjoy it?  :ha:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023 @653.69 »

Iv finished the first two books on the list  :grin: They are very enjoyable, although maybe a little cliched (but I think that more to do with the fact they were written 70 years ago and the ideas in them have become very common place in sci-fi).

The first book seems to be set around 2090 and is a series of short stories about robots in society starting in 1990s.
Spoiler
The stories overall aim seems to be about the establishment of a world economy designed and run by AI that can bring about world peace by ensuring steady economic stability for everyone without human prejudice.
[close]

The next book takes place in the year 4700 and more or less looks at the society that has evolved as a result of the actions that started in the first book; although it also takes the form of a fairly typical noir murder mystery story.
Spoiler
It deals with the idea that humanity needs to be able to dream; and without dreams people will turn inward and go backwards - the global economy setup by the AI is perfect, but that perfection leads to discontent - the story is about finding a way to turn dreams outward again and embrace risk and new frontiers as a social need.

There are some funny things; people still smoke, eat meat and the Bible is still the major holy book - Im not sure I'm convinced that will be the case in 2000 years (or even 100), but thats beside the point!
[close]

I will report back when I have read more!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023 @727.60 »

Hi.
Listened to the first two books of the Foundation Series last year and will continue soonish (atm I'm listening to the Daodejing according to Ursula K. Le Guin, also good stuff).
I'm always listening to audiobooks when going to bed, since I always slept away on my books ;).

Found it to be among the most enjoyable Sci-Fi I had so far, even though at some points you might notice the age of the stories.

myleszey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rabbit

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023 @747.22 »

Personally never read anything of the Robots, but Foundation through Foundation and Earth were lovely reads. The last book veered very far into "fantasy-like" settings moreso than the first 4 - but that leads into a fruitless discussion on where fantasy ends and science fiction begins...

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023 @43.37 »

If anyone wants to listen to these on audiobook; I found ALL of them for download on the internet archive!  :ozwomp:  https://archive.org/details/IsaacAsimovAudioBookCollection

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Retro TV cultural/travel documentary series

Started by Deckade (Tolo)Board ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 3
Views: 562
Last post January 27, 2023 @201.83
by Deckade (Tolo)
Web video series: Game Changer (show)

Started by shevekBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 7
Views: 560
Last post August 25, 2023 @945.65
by Finel
[tv] Favourite Star Trek series?

Started by sereneforkBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 13
Views: 784
Last post March 27, 2024 @710.73
by Yaya

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi