Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @208.76 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery
| | | |-+  books that made you cry?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: books that made you cry?  (Read 920 times)
egbert
Jr. Member ⚓︎

dumpster diver who is a girl named bert

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 18, 2023 @846.94 »

i finished kafka's metamorphosis today. GREGOR DESERVED BETTER!! HE NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE!! HE JUST WANTED HIS FAMILY TO LOVE HIM AGAIN!!! HE WAS JUST SOME GUY!!! GREGOR I LOVE YOU AND IF THE MULTIBERSE THEORY IS RIGHT I WILL FIND YOU AMONG THE COUNTLESS UNIVERSES!!!

uh. anyway. i havent actually cried over the book yet but i might soon. what books have made YOU feel like this?  :ohdear:  :ohdear:  :ohdear:

devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023 @856.66 »

Goodnight Punpun and No Longer Human made me cry hard, so much so I had to take breaks from reading them.

I want to read Metamorphosis so bad...

Remember to eat dessert <3
egbert
Jr. Member ⚓︎

dumpster diver who is a girl named bert

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023 @863.26 »

Goodnight Punpun and No Longer Human made me cry hard, so much so I had to take breaks from reading them.

I want to read Metamorphosis so bad...

punpun made me cry too. several times. i'd be in the middle of a chapter and start crying and i still kept reading it. best read of my life 10/10 would never reccommend or reread kehehe

Memory
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023 @49.47 »

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

I think this book made me cry mostly because Morrie suffered from ALS, and I experienced my grandfather suffer from MND. It's a bittersweet book regardless of the connection I have with it, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with Morrie through the book. Highly recommend for a good read and some old man life lessons <3!
larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023 @100.24 »

Lavinia by Ursula Le Guin comes to mind :loved:
Actually a lot of Le Guin makes me cry...

the end of an era, one starts anew
Memory
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023 @243.85 »

The first book that came to mind is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Gut wrenchingly, heart wrenchingly sad. After finishing it I cried & then stared at a wall for like fifteen minutes. I still think about it pretty regularly. Thinking about it is actually making me tear up lol
Thorn
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023 @430.71 »

I'd say Turtles All The Way Down by John Green. The book is mostly about a teenage girl dealing with a murder mystery in her town and her fairly severe OCD, and John Green mostly writes the OCD stuff from his own experience with it. As someone who has pretty significant clinical anxiety issues and intrusive thoughts, the book was pretty spot on in terms of the daily internal monologue of all that. What really got to me was how the protagonist's family and friends reacted to her anxieties, with a lot of them not really fully understanding the scope of her issues and trying to be sympathetic while seeing the main character as irrational and a little eccentric for her mental state. That was very well written overall, but it hit a little too close to home tbh. Though to be fair the only John Green book that didn't make me cry was Paper Towns. Between Looking For Alaska and The Fault In Our Stars that man has made me run through more tissues than I care to think about with his writing.

OwO Like a scientist
UwU like a punk
>w< like an anarchist
night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023 @240.16 »

For me in high school, it was Defending Jacob that got me. It was the first book I read that dared not to have a happy ending, and it changed my view on stories and storytelling. Recently, though, the book that made me cry was the short story There Will Come Soft Rains. Didn't help that there was a lovingly animated Soviet version made in '84.

Tiny Roman Appreciator

virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023 @847.27 »

It looks like comics count here, so I'll just say, one of only 4 times I've ever cried at media, bizarrely, was a certain scene from towards the end of the ever legendary Steel Ball Run. I kind of started to cry when (ACTUAL MAJOR SPOILER)
Spoiler
Gyro Died
[close]
but absolutely lost myself when
Spoiler
Johnny found his father at the end, if I recall correctly the order of events
[close]
. If you haven't read Steel Ball Run, I still highly recommend it. I want the covers as posters for my room! (I'm against the grain in that I honestly think its perfectly fine to just read steel ball run on its own first, you really don't need to watch/read everything that came before it whatsoever. its almost entirely unrelated outside of fun references and callbacks)

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
microbyte
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023 @197.63 »

A couple have, such as Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. I have no clue why it caused me to cry, but the ending of it was just so touching. Blue Mars also by Kim Stanley Robinson sorta made me cry, not because of it's ending or anything like that (even though its ending was great), but because I was sad that I had finished the Mars Trilogy, and there were no books after that. It was such a good series, and leaving it doesn't feel good or right. It got to its end, but its still hard to accept. The first one that came to my mind however, has gotta be A Happy Death by Camus. It's just such a, well sweet isn't the right word, but bittersweet, feeling-packed book. It's so eloquently written that to properly analyze the whole thing, you would need something well over the length of the book itself. Each sentence of story begets two of beauty.
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023 @946.32 »

I think the english title is "Tom in the mountains", it's a book from the 60s about a housecat that got spooked and has to survive in the wilderness (but has access to the family's abandonded cottage).

That book messed me up good as a child. It's a real interesting and captivating read, the images are still so vivid in my head. But it's also very sad and awful, just gut wrenching sad. I cant even read it anymore because some parts just hurt too much.

The artwork is also stunning in the book I have (I dont know which is the original artwork/book. I think my books is a later edition.) But my book features artwork from Omar Andreen - art portfolio and the images are a treat to look at in the book and the cover.

manyface
Casual Poster ⚓︎

the pieces of the puzzle are waiting!

StatusCafe: manyface
iMood: manyface

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023 @790.51 »

the first book that comes to mind is earthlings by sayaka murata. that book is utterly devastating, like it reaches right into your heart and just digs its nails in. and it doesn't do this because it wants to hurt you, it does this because it desperately wants to connect. it's an incredible novel! but pretty damn triggering, so watch out.

other books that make me feel that way are honestly anything that banana yoshimoto has written. we've only read kitchen and lizard, and both of those books feel like your soul is being opened up and that a present is being placed inside, and then it's all gently being stitched back up. it's a lot kinder than earthlings, but it makes you cry from the honesty and earnestness and sheer kindness of the text.

needless to say, i would really recommend both murata's and yoshimoto's works.

purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024 @19.87 »

To be honest, I do not read that much fiction now, but I remember going through Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor in the fifth grade and crying pretty hard afterward...I had no idea that it is actually part of a series; maybe I should go back and read them. There are a lot of recommendations here that I would like to check out too.

...both of those books feel like your soul is being opened up and that a present is being placed inside, and then it's all gently being stitched back up. it's a lot kinder than earthlings, but it makes you cry from the honesty and earnestness and sheer kindness of the text.

This description is lovely. It makes me want to seek them out all the more.
siph
Casual Poster ⚓︎

they/them

View Profile WWW

RecorderJoined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024 @556.01 »

Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg is a book that made me cry multiple times, especially in the latter parts. The protagonist, Jess, repeatedly has to start over after losing her home, her livelihood and her friends multiple times. The book covers very heavy subject matter, but what stings the most is when even in periods of relative peace and stability we are constantly reminded that there is no real security for the oppressed, that Jess' life will be precarious despite the apparent peace. It emphasizes the ephemerality of safety for those in poverty.

Despite all this, Jess starts over. She meets new people and makes peace with her past. In the haze of discrimination and hate, the joyful points of Jess' life serve as beacons of hope, both for her, who tries to hold on to mementos and make peace with old friends, and for the reader who gets to appreciate these havens of happiness.

♡ Peace and love on the world wide web ♡
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Weird/surreal 3d environment i made

Started by ellievoyydBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 2212
Last post September 22, 2022 @593.21
by SGTCharlynne
Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 57
Views: 7753
Last post May 03, 2024 @343.02
by garystu
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 59
Views: 6448
Last post June 26, 2024 @893.10
by polychrome

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi