Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @149.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery
| | | |-+  Discworld/Other novel series

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Discworld/Other novel series  (Read 663 times)
KittyTheKat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Any/All and Agender

iMood: KittyTheKat

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: November 02, 2023 @17.01 »

I haven't read much of anything since I was in middle school, but recently I started reading the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett and I'm loving them! I've always liked fantasy okay but I think Pratchett does a good job of balancing the satirical angle of the books with a strong emotional core.

I'm curious: has anyone else on the board read Discworld, or do you have other recommendations for light reading when I have free time?  :dive:

"Hell is other people. But that’s only that side of the coin. The other side, which no one seems to mention, is also “Heaven is each other.” … Hell is separateness, uncommunicability, self-centeredness, lust for power, for riches, for fame. Heaven, on the other hand, is very simple—and very hard: caring about your fellow beings." -Jean-Paul Sartre
formadscience
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023 @256.34 »

I love Discworld! My favorites are the ones about the Watch and the Moist von Lipwig books.

If you also like sci-fi, I'd recommend The Murderbot Diaries. The first four books are novellas so they'd be good for light reading.
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023 @555.98 »

I'm curious: has anyone else on the board read Discworld, or do you have other recommendations for light reading when I have free time?  :dive:

I've read some Discworld, but I'm hesitant to offer recommendations. My wife tells her friends that Clive Barker is my idea of light reading, and she's not exactly wrong. Still, I enjoyed Monkey King, which is Julia Lovell's abridged translation of Journey to the West for Penguin. I'm currently reading Cassiel's Servant by Jacqueline Carey, which is a retelling of Kushiel's Dart from a major supporting character in the latter novel set in a fantasy version of France where sex workers are almost holy.

KittyTheKat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Any/All and Agender

iMood: KittyTheKat

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023 @724.46 »

I've read some Discworld, but I'm hesitant to offer recommendations. My wife tells her friends that Clive Barker is my idea of light reading, and she's not exactly wrong. Still, I enjoyed Monkey King, which is Julia Lovell's abridged translation of Journey to the West for Penguin. I'm currently reading Cassiel's Servant by Jacqueline Carey, which is a retelling of Kushiel's Dart from a major supporting character in the latter novel set in a fantasy version of France where sex workers are almost holy.

Ooh, I've been interested in Journey to the West actually! And honestly I'm not opposed to deeper stuff, I'm just trying to ease myself back in before I escalate into more complex works... said while eyeing the untouched copy of House of Leaves on my shelf...

"Hell is other people. But that’s only that side of the coin. The other side, which no one seems to mention, is also “Heaven is each other.” … Hell is separateness, uncommunicability, self-centeredness, lust for power, for riches, for fame. Heaven, on the other hand, is very simple—and very hard: caring about your fellow beings." -Jean-Paul Sartre
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023 @753.99 »

Ooh, I've been interested in Journey to the West actually! And honestly I'm not opposed to deeper stuff, I'm just trying to ease myself back in before I escalate into more complex works... said while eyeing the untouched copy of House of Leaves on my shelf...

I found Lovell's translation very accessible. Most of the book is wall-to-wall monkeyshines, except for the chapters detailing Tripitaka's backstory while Sun Wukong is offstage because he's trapped under that mountain.

Gotta say, though, most of the immortals seem to be assholes (and Tripitaka is pretty much a damsel dude -- or a dudesel?). And if Guanyin is really a goddess of mercy, she has a funny way of showing it.

siph
Casual Poster ⚓︎

they/them

View Profile WWW

RecorderJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024 @563.51 »

If you liked Discworld then you may like the fictional podcast Welcome to Night Vale. If you are fine with podcasts give it a shot. It also has books which you can read. Its absurdist style feels very similar to Discworld.

The works of Salman Rushdie are also somewhat similar except with more of a historical fantasy vibe. He does use some Indian vernacular and sensibilities though so that might make him a bit unapproachable for foreign audiences. Check him out if you like.

♡ Peace and love on the world wide web ♡
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024 @791.09 »

Read probably around 15 parts when I was younger, and had enough forever afterwards - it started to feel a bit samey after this. On the other hand: There is no novel-series where I've read more, so I guess it supports the case for Pratchett ;).

While I still like humorist books, I prefer ones that are less genre-focused nowadays.

mostlypixels
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024 @523.61 »

Discworld is amazing. I have them all on my shelves, with the three last ones waiting for me to reread the entire series. Pratchett makes characters comedic while tangibly real.

I read the books in French since Pratchett's English is a bit too advanced for me (some characters have accents or such that made it complicated), but we thankfully have a fantastic translator.

If anyone is interested in starting the series, I'd suggest not starting with the first two books (which IMHO are the weakest), but by either the first in the "City watch" ("Guards! Guards!") or "Witches" ("Equal Rites") arcs, with my warm, glowing, enthusiastic rec for "Guards! Guards!"). My cat is named after Sam Vimes.

As for other recs... Uh, nothing comes to mind. Not in English, at least.

If you speak French, "Brussailes" by Éléonore Devillepoix has a similar vibe, except it's birds investigating criminal events in the bird community.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024 @531.01 by mostlypixels » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I have a slight obsession with weird/novelty snacks/sweets/drinks.

Started by CooperationIsKeyBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 8
Views: 1695
Last post April 11, 2024 @915.01
by Misanthropic Monster™
Retro TV cultural/travel documentary series

Started by Deckade (Tolo)Board ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 3
Views: 909
Last post January 27, 2023 @201.83
by Deckade (Tolo)
Asimov - Foundation Series

Started by MelooonBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 4
Views: 577
Last post October 17, 2023 @43.37
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi