Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @862.28 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 72/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Slayers!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slayers!  (Read 616 times)
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« on: March 20, 2023 @671.26 »

Hello!
Welcome to my thread on the anime series 'The Slayers'! (usually just referred to as 'Slayers')
I wanted to make this thread because Slayers is one of my favourite anime of all time and I'd love to discuss it with anyone interested!
Whether you've seen Slayers before, or have never heard of it, feel free to participate and discuss, ask questions and more!

What is Slayers?
Slayers is a Japanese media franchise consisting of a series of Light Novels, Manga, Anime, OVA, Video Games and more! The Light Novels are the original incarnation, and were written by Hajime Kanzaka with illustrations done by Rui Araizumi. The story of Slayers is set in a fictional sword and sorcery world that follows the misadventures of teenage sorceress Lina Inverse and her rag-tag band of party members. The series is light-hearted in tone and has plenty of comedic moments, but has a compelling world filled with interesting characters and lore. If you've ever played a Dungeons and Dragons game with friends where you goof off a lot, then you have a pretty good idea of what you're in for with this series.

Where can I get/watch Slayers?
The light novels can be purchased online in physical or digital format, and is available on most common storefronts like Amazon/Kindle, J-Novel Club, Right Stuff, Kobo, Google etc. At the time of writing this, availability of the anime series is rather limited. You can watch all 5 seasons on Funimation's website. The first 3 seasons require a subscription, but seasons 4 and 5 are free to watch without a subscription. The show used to be free to watch on Youtube, but the Funimation/Crunchyroll merger seems to have put an end to that. Otherwise, you can sometimes find the series uploaded to Youtube unofficially, and of course you can also find it on other less than legal anime-service sites...  :ziped:

Where can I learn more?
There are a lot of resources available for you to learn more about the series!
Take a look:

Official Website (Japanese), Wikipedia, Kanzaka-dex, Anime News Network, Unofficial Discord Server

What should we discuss?
Anything you want! Here are some suggestions:
  • Favourite character/series/storyline etc.
  • Series history and current status
  • Personal and community projects
  • Fan-fiction and fanart
  • How did you get introduced to the series?
  • Do you own any merchandise?
  • Did you ever cosplay as any of the characters?
  • Do you have an OTP?

These are of course just suggestions, feel free to discuss or ask anything you want as long as it follows the forum rules!
I look forward to our discussions!  :4u:

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023 @738.52 »

Aah, Slayers! It's been a while! I confess I've only watched the first two seasons, I think? Something either distracted me afterwards or I got that huffy about the short term memory loss that occured at the very end of Next x)
Spoiler
(Sue me, I wanted them two dorks to kiss AND remember the context!  :grin: )
[close]

Huge fan of Lina, I gotta say. Definitely up there in my favorite type of a character. The end of the first season where she
Spoiler
comes back from almost dying, but this time with an epic sword in her hand?
[close]
Badass. Among other moments, of course. I think I rewatched that one multiple times.

I dunno if spoilers are needed in the thread dedicated to the show, but I shall put them anyway, for a good measure.

I even had a piece of fanart back in the day, but that was. Like eight years ago or so. Mayhaps I should redraw it someday...

(Also the first opening is such a bop! :ozwomp: )

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023 @700.53 »

Aah, Slayers! It's been a while! I confess I've only watched the first two seasons, I think? Something either distracted me afterwards or I got that huffy about the short term memory loss that occured at the very end of Next x)
Spoiler
(Sue me, I wanted them two dorks to kiss AND remember the context!  :grin: )
[close]

Huge fan of Lina, I gotta say. Definitely up there in my favorite type of a character. The end of the first season where she
Spoiler
comes back from almost dying, but this time with an epic sword in her hand?
[close]
Badass. Among other moments, of course. I think I rewatched that one multiple times.

I dunno if spoilers are needed in the thread dedicated to the show, but I shall put them anyway, for a good measure.

I even had a piece of fanart back in the day, but that was. Like eight years ago or so. Mayhaps I should redraw it someday...

(Also the first opening is such a bop! :ozwomp: )

I am envious that you still have more to watch, I wish I could watch the series for the first time all over again.  :dive:
I don't remember the memory loss bothering me much, but I can see why it would upset some die-hard Gourry x Lina fans.  :ok:
Yes, Lina is super badass and I love her character so much. I love how feisty she is, and she has a lot of really cool spells and equipment, on top of being really talented as a sorceress.
I guess it's a good idea to put major spoilers behind spoiler tags, so thanks for doing that!

If you have the time, you should finish the series, and draw some more Lina art. The more art, the better.

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023 @848.95 »

Man, I remember Slayers. My first series was Slayers Try because it was what was available at the shop that sold bootleg fansub tapes and DVDs back in 2000, but I eventually watched Slayers and Slayers Next. I preferred Try because it had a more-or-less coherent (and melodramatic AF) story throughout the series.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024 @583.74 »

I remember watching Slayers back in the late '90s with my then partner... we'd get the VHS tapes and binge them together before playing Sonic Adventure - happy memories.

I remember really liking it, I've not watched it in a long time though so maybe this is a good excuse to revisit it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi