Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @223.83 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ➶ ∙ Art Gallery
| | |-+  Lenticular photography

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lenticular photography  (Read 685 times)
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: November 17, 2023 @368.03 »

I've been working on a lenticular camera rig for months, slowly purchasing used gear, sending back broken used gear, running into issues with buying the wrong cables, breaking cheap camera mounts, so-on and so-on.

Finally I got my 7 camera setup close to where I think I can start making some really cool stuff with it. I took a test shot today and I was really pleased!

This is a photograph of my friend - it's comprised of 7 long exposure portraits with two lights. The lights are triggered at separate moments, and I asked him to move his head slightly after the first light was triggered.

This is the result!

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Any/All

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023 @389.68 »

Trippy... Love it Onio! :transport:

:ozwomp: my beloved

TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023 @406.66 »

Wow, this is a really interesting technique! The result turned out incredible! :4u: I'm sure it was worth the trouble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rrim0
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023 @671.41 »

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen done with photography!
I particularly like how the shadow on the right side of the face marge with the second face. Seamless.
Truly incredible!

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023 @676.69 »

This is super cool; I've always enjoyed analogue holography! (You never see it anymore!) I'd love to hear more details about your setup! I remember watching a document about how the Matrix shots were done and they had like 100 cameras in an arc.

@Onio Your results look much more impressive than this guy  :grin: do you plan to produce physical copies or is your digital only?

On the holography note, I know that's a little different since lenticular displays are usually used in combination with a holographic photo (which is done with lasers instead of regular cameras); but a great book is the Holographers Handbook, I think if you enjoy one you'll enjoy the other.

Also on a tangential note; have you messed around with Light Field Photography? (It's basically lenticular photography 2.0), I wrote an essay on it in college in 2017, but I don't think there's been much development since then; it's still super cool! Lytro used to make a really cool lil camera, but they went defunct.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023 @472.42 »

Thank you guys so much!

This is super cool; I've always enjoyed analogue holography! (You never see it anymore!) I'd love to hear more details about your setup!

Thank you, man! And thanks for the links! I think in the holographic community, a lenticular print of this would be categorized as "fauxlography," haha. True holography with lasers is way beyond what I'm capable of at the moment - but something I'm very interested in, maybe in the future! I've seen some true holographs on display in a museum and they were just so amazing!

I do plan on printing these! I probably shouldn't even call it lenticular yet, not until I have interlaced the images, print them, and place lenticular lens sheets on top. I'm really looking forward to that. I want to print on some heavyweight paper, deboss the area of the paper where the image is printed, fit the lenticular sheet on top, and then emboss my logo below it. I think it will look really nifty!

I've heard of the Lytro, really interesting camera, haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

With my current direction, I want to create an album with lenticular prints and soundtracks to match each print. I still have quite a few steps ahead of me before that point.

Some details of my rig - 7 old 12 megapixel dslrs with kit lenses mounted on L brackets that screw onto clamps, which are clamped onto a boom arm held up by two metal light stands on wheels. It's really low budget for this kind of set up (I think I'm south of $1,500 on this setup). Each camera is plugged into an Esper Triggerbox, and I have a corded shutter release to trigger them. This will capture 7 frames.

If you pause the animation and look at a single frame, you'll see all that weirdness from the overlapping faces. I'm using optical snoots with gobo inserts that I printed at home, this allows me to be very selective and exacting with my lighting. I light half the face with one light, half the face with the other light, fire the lights at separate moments over the course of 10 seconds, ask the model to turn their head slightly in between the firing of those two strobes, and you end up with that crazy "double exposure" looking photograph (traditionally, double exposure would refer to more than one photographic exposure, but the camera's shutter only opens and closes once). You multiply that process by the number of cameras you're using, and you get this crazy thing.

also, two more test shots (may take a moment to load) ~

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023 @485.76 by Onio » Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023 @766.78 »

These are so cool! I read your blog post about starting off on this project, so I'm thrilled to see the results of it. I'm a potato with regular photography, and this is so far above what I'm really able to understand, but I think it's a really cool hobby!

Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023 @565.94 »

These are so cool! I read your blog post about starting off on this project, so I'm thrilled to see the results of it. I'm a potato with regular photography, and this is so far above what I'm really able to understand, but I think it's a really cool hobby!

Thanks, Frugal!! I feel like it might be easier to understand if I had a breakdown of the process with photos or a video. I kind of have that mindset where if I can do it, anyone can do it, haha. When summer comes and the garage is warm enough to shoot in again, I'll have to put together a tutorial.

wetnoodle
Full Member ⚓︎

a silly lil goose

View Profile WWW

LifeParticipated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023 @831.59 »

WOAH these are so cool!! Can't wait to see what ya do next!

slimeteefs
Casual Poster

👻it/he/they🦷

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024 @738.22 »

ooohhh sick, thanks for sharing your process

:dunno:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

Commo's Photography Page!

Started by CommodornBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 624
Last post March 09, 2023 @941.52
by Commodorn
Film photography & printing photos

Started by elliebeesBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 2
Views: 516
Last post June 24, 2023 @352.41
by elliebees

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi