Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @894.22 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Your thoughts on the forum categories?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Your thoughts on the forum categories?  (Read 5321 times)
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022 @703.65 »

I was thinking that a category for movies and TV in general, and one for tech would be good?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022 @728.31 »

I was thinking that a category for movies and TV in general, and one for tech would be good?

Your defo right, we are missing a few, and I'm not 100000% sure which ones exactly.

Other things I'm thinking about:
Podcasts - But that should not be a whole category?
Craft Projects - Not quite art but sorta art

Maybe we need like a general interests discussion channel that's a catch all for things that don't fit other places.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022 @500.07 »

Ok buckatuckles! Its that time of the month again for some forum work! Here's what I have in mind, let me know what you think below!

1. - Removing the Karma System.. I don't think it really is needed here and I see it getting used less and less.

2. Forum categories:
 - Rename Community Discussion to Forum Discussion and make it dedicated to forum matters.
 - Rename Graphic Design to Workshop General and move it to the workshop section.
 - Add a new board called Clubs and Cliques - Dedicated to organising clubs, webrings and groups.
 - Add a new board called Writers Corner - Dedicated to journaling, blog writing, creative writing and writers tips.
 - Add a new board called Life on the Web - Dedicated to discussing matters of daily life online (Some old Internet Discussion topics may be moved here)

Possibly remove the old Internet Discussion archive form the forum?? It annoys me that its just sitting there..
Try and update the YouTube plugin!
Ughh so long story I did stuff that makes it really hard to update anything and we will have to recon with that some day :ha:

EDIT: If you have new categories or boards or changes to existing boards you'd like to discuss/suggest please do comment them below and give some context of why you think they are needed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022 @662.53 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022 @653.72 »

1. - Removing the Karma System.. I don't think it really is needed here and I see it getting used less and less.

I can agree with that, it's only useful if the forum where to have a few bad actors or a botting problem. Since the forum is small it's kinda useless.
neoratz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ଘ(+ ໖_໖) tastes funny

iMood: neoratz

View Profile WWW

Won the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022 @871.27 »

i can totally get this, but i am wondering... is there any way to add a "like system" for posts? i like giving people a thumbs up when i like what they said but don't have anything substantial to add :ha:

- Rename Community Discussion to Forum Discussion and make it dedicated to forum matters.
 - Add a new board called Life on the Web - Dedicated to discussing matters of daily life online (Some old Internet Discussion topics may be moved here)
i really like this! will Life on the Web be the new place to have discussions relating to the web-revival community?

i promised i'm not alone in heaven... ˖˚
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022 @876.50 »

is there any way to add a "like system" for posts?
So thats actually what I wanted when I added the karma system, but I could not find a better way to do it :sad: I will keep looking for a way to do this!

will Life on the Web be the new place to have discussions relating to the web-revival community?
Yep thats the idea, also a space to talk about things like tips for getting away from social media, e-mail tips?? etc

pancito
Casual Poster

any pronouns for me!

iMood: 800cherries

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2022 @984.14 »

So thats actually what I wanted when I added the karma system, but I could not find a better way to do it :sad: I will keep looking for a way to do this!

i have no idea if it's something that can be implemented on an SMF, but maybe something like a badge system? this way, you could leave an acknowledgement on posts you liked :grin:

☆゚°˖* ٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022 @811.28 »

is there any way to add a "like system" for posts?

I was on a forum a long time ago that integrated a karma system into an RPG system, so you would gain EXP to level up each time a post is liked, and you would gain more EXP if someone of a higher level liked your post than a lower level.

There was also a gold mechanic. I can't remember how you would acquire gold, but you would use it to buy armor and weapons from the shop section and you'd need at a certain level to equip it. It was all just cosmetic, but I thought it was cool.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023 @710.15 »

Thinking about some upcoming forum changes! People seem to have a hard time figuring out the diffrences between Life on the Web, Chat & Forum Games & General Interests

Im thinking of making these changes:
  • Rename Chat & Forum Games to Fun & Forum Games - making it just for fun topics
  • Rename Life on the Web to Life on Earth - making it all general social discussion
  • Removing General Interests and adding Technology as an interest
  • Adding a Game Development Board to the Workshop
  • Removing the Asset Sharing board and merging its topics elsewhere

Lermmy know any opinions! :ozwomp:

WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023 @910.08 »

Thinking about some upcoming forum changes! People seem to have a hard time figuring out the diffrences between Life on the Web, Chat & Forum Games & General Interests

• Rename Chat & Forum Games to Fun & Forum Games - making it just for fun topics
  • Rename Life on the Web to Life on Earth - making it all general social discussion

Lermmy know any opinions! :ozwomp:

1. I agree, it makes much more sense this way.

2. Not quite sure about this one. I feel that we still need a focused web discussion, considering the common ground of us being here. Where we'll talk about web revival or share stories of the old web?

3. What about all the interests that don't fit the other sections?

4. A very welcome addition!

5. I agree. Probably should be under Workshop General.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2023 @30.44 »

1. Sounds alright to me, although there are plenty of nice topics that aren't exactly "fun" but rather fit under the umbrella term "chat"; like for example "what did you do today?" or "what have you been thinking about recently?". I'd perhaps keep the name; chatting already has a positive connotation I think.

2. I'm not sure on this; most things that concern our society on Earth are going to invite political or heated discussions, and right now, life on the web is already a great thing to talk about with a lot of potential: most people here are here because they dislike the rest of the internet and find this place and how it works fascinating. If we kept the "chat" in "chat and forum games", that could be the place to put general chat about society and life on Earth, but through the word chat encouraging constructive casual conversation more than discussions about humanity and stuff.

3. Aren't there a lot of interests that are not covered by the others at all, like, say, birdwatching? I'd keep General Interests.

4. Good idea. Might also help bring in more of the "virtual worlds" things this forum was originally built for.

5. Yeah, we could put it in with Tutorials & Help in a new category like "Questions & Resources".

In contrast, I'd perhaps merge "Life on the Web" with "Web crafting" because most of them are about website design anyway in some shape or form
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2023 @225.72 »

Im still thinking about this.. I almost wonder if we should split up the catagories:

Instead of Community, Interests and Workshop

We could do like.. Community, Web, Art + Games, Social - so web would contain web discussion and web crafting - games would have games discussion and game making - and social could contains all the music chats and other interests. This would also allow people to focus on areas they like.

Maybe something like:

Community:
- Forum Discussion
- Greetings and Introductions
- Clubs and Events

World Wide Web:
- Life on the Web
- Website Crafting
- Showcase & Links

Art & Games:
- Art Discussions
- Video Games Discussion
- Share Your Art
- Making Games

Social Town:
- General Interests
- Music Room
- Anime & Movies & TV
- Writers Corner
- Jokes & Forum Games

Organising things is one thing - but organising things in a way that feel cohesive and make people feel at home in a social space is much harder - Im gonna put a lot more thought into this and listen for feedback! :grin:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023 @228.76 by Melooon » Logged

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2023 @395.65 »

Do you think there will be many people who make their own games? Games are art too. So I'd combine these two as "Share Your Art / Games" in one category.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2023 @592.99 »

Maybe something like:

I like that very much! I'm a fan of that.

Do you think there will be many people who make their own games? Games are art too. So I'd combine these two as "Share Your Art / Games" in one category.

I think part of the base concept of this community in the first place was "building virtual worlds", so I suppose it's an understandable thing to promote.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2023 @885.22 »

This has now been done!! Feedback is welcome, particularly on the board symbols - I think they are kinda nice, but I might change my mind on that :tongue:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20433
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5321
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3295
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi