Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @780.22 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 73/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  making site display correctly on mobile devices (if possible)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: making site display correctly on mobile devices (if possible)  (Read 273 times)
freaksaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: mortalboy

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: December 14, 2023 @908.48 »

hello everyone, i'm here to feed you a coding conundrum. i love my site (linked here) and the format dearly but hate that it displays so out of wack on mobile devices. if you look into the code you will see that i probably didn't go about the coding as cleanly as i could - the bulk of the coding was done over a year and a half ago and i'm fairly out of practice. i'm happy with the way my site looks on desktop for the most part but i would really like, at the very least, for the elements to not shift this way and that when the site is pulled up on a mobile device.

i will say i'm not necessarily looking to make my main site 'mobile responsive'. i realize that on a small screen someone might need to zoom in regardless - that's fine by me as long as everything stays in its place. i have some non-homepage pages that ARE mobile responsive since i worked on the coding later on. ALSO, when i refer to my site here i'm mostly referring to the home + links + about pages, which were all coded the same way.

i've heard something about code that lets you force a viewport on mobile devices - is that anything? or am i cursed to forever have shifted DIVs on mobile safari? let me know if you have any ideas!  :innocent:

have you guys heard of neil young?....pretty cool stuff......
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023 @920.38 »

heard something about code that lets you force a viewport on mobile devices
Yep, if you're not doing a responsive site and just want mobiles to be zoomed out you add this to your HTML head:
Code
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=0.5" />

You can play with that 0.5 number; lower numbers will be more zoomed out, and higher numbers will be more zoomed in; I find between 0.3 and 0.7 tends to be correct for my sites depending on their design.

It can also be handy to use a mobile emulator for testing sites on mobile, it lets you try design on a wide range of devices and see exactly how they will look (more accurately than just making your browser window smaller - the viewport trick won't display on a regular small browser window so you need to test it on a real mobile or emulated mobile) :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
freaksaint
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: mortalboy

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023 @932.50 »

You can play with that 0.5 number; lower numbers will be more zoomed out, and higher numbers will be more zoomed in; I find between 0.3 and 0.7 tends to be correct for my sites depending on their design.

omg, this was such a quick fix i feel so silly! thank you so much for imparting your knowledge :) i don't know if it's possible to make my site look perfect on EVERY device but this is a great start. at least now i know people can look up my site on their mobile device and get an idea of the desktop experience  :cheerR:

have you guys heard of neil young?....pretty cool stuff......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What's your favourite mobile game?

Started by NeonriserBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 35
Views: 4208
Last post March 22, 2024 @293.21
by georgemoody
Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 1929
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 27
Views: 5803
Last post April 27, 2024 @949.13
by bliss

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi