Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 16, 2024 - @725.50 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Let's talk about online arguments

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Let's talk about online arguments  (Read 1078 times)
prismatic
Casual Poster

mist ball⭐

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2024 @23.26 »

a very good friend of mine told me to always pick and choose my battles. such a thing is so obvious, right? you'd think so, but it helps a world of a lot when it comes to online arguments/debate/conflicts/whatever. sometimes some of them aren't worth the time and effort to get into and it'd be headache to engage otherwise. i really only "argue" if there's a bigger point or benefit to me behind it, otherwise why expend the energy?
Junebug
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Vanitas Vanitatum Omnia Vanitas

View Profile WWW

Vanitas no Carte fanJoined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2024 @856.59 »

The summary version: the absence of in-person interaction lowers the stakes of hostility and strips away the ability to pick up on non-verbal communication, any discussion of import requires a minimum matching of premises about reality, without which any fruitful discussion is impossible, frequently people believe that those with wrong beliefs are also evil, and people typically want to hurt those they hate, consequently the people who hate each other have an opportunity to fight verbally very easily on the web.

I don't believe people are worse on the internet, I believe the internet removes inhibitions toward this behavior, and makes visible the real feelings people have had all along, but are not shown to our faces in our day to day lives.

Unsurprisingly omni-blocking has arisen as the solution to all of this. You read something you don't like? Just remove it! This has had some pretty bad consequences in the long run though, where people get into a habit of not actually thinking about counterarguments or actively ignore truths that threaten their beliefs, without making any plans to think it through later even if they decide they can't do it then. This is why critical thinking is something trained; it's not the default way people exist in the world.

My preferred programming language is AutoHotKey.

"What you thought was a given was in reality a product of miracles."

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2560
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage
Let's talk about FORUMS!

Started by wrinkledlionBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 34
Views: 3756
Last post November 11, 2023 @821.39
by creaturefeature
Do you "go online" any more?

Started by wrisBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 23
Views: 3544
Last post October 19, 2022 @248.06
by Janus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi