Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @191.11 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Quite enjoying IRC chats!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quite enjoying IRC chats!  (Read 819 times)
OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!:0 its one million furriesFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: January 12, 2024 @781.03 »

I just started using IRC chats for the first time a few days ago and I'm REALLY enjoying it! I was sort of worried I'd get overwhelmed and not talk much like I do with new Discord servers I join, but I'm finding that it has a completely different vibe to what I'm use to with other IM programs/apps. You only ever see who ever's online in that specific channel, you don't get sound notifications whenever a new message is posted (only when someone enters/leaves), and you're only in the channels you choose to be in, rather getting them all at once and needing to mute the channels you're not interested in.

It's really fun! I like it a lot :D I have yet to find a super active community, understandably so I guess. Quite "outdated" technology by most people's standards. But that's kinda what makes it nice and cozy :D you get to actually see who's there and meet people, and get excited when you recognize someone pop in who you wish to chat to ^^

I'd love to hear your experiences with/thoughts on IRC, and if you have any servers you'd recommend!

m1k3

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024 @820.59 »

That's great that you're having a good time with it. Depending on the client, you can also turn off sounds for join/exits too. I actually hide those completely. Are you mainly using Libera.chat?
OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024 @828.10 »

Nah, I'm using Visual IRC

m1k3

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024 @841.30 »

Sorry, I meant Libera.chat meaning the IRC network.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024 @906.15 by m1k3 » Logged
OneMillionFurries
Full Member ⚓︎

Gettin silly with it

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024 @864.07 »

Oh! No I have yet to check that one out.

m1k3

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024 @905.69 »

You'll definitely want to check that one out as it has the highest number of users and channels and they will be more active.

See here for more details on number of users per IRC network: https://netsplit.de/networks/top100.php
Fish
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of the most ok cuppa joe

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024 @983.59 »

What IS an IRC chat? Don't think I've ever heard about this  :eyes:

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024 @196.53 »

I just started using IRC chats for the first time a few days ago and I'm REALLY enjoying it! I was sort of worried I'd get overwhelmed and not talk much like I do with new Discord servers I join, but I'm finding that it has a completely different vibe to what I'm use to with other IM programs/apps. You only ever see who ever's online in that specific channel, you don't get sound notifications whenever a new message is posted (only when someone enters/leaves), and you're only in the channels you choose to be in, rather getting them all at once and needing to mute the channels you're not interested in.

It's really fun! I like it a lot :D I have yet to find a super active community, understandably so I guess. Quite "outdated" technology by most people's standards. But that's kinda what makes it nice and cozy :D you get to actually see who's there and meet people, and get excited when you recognize someone pop in who you wish to chat to ^^

I'd love to hear your experiences with/thoughts on IRC, and if you have any servers you'd recommend!

I use IRC4Fun and tilde.chat, u should see me there sometime :)

Sofly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Oh hey hi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024 @654.24 »

What IS an IRC chat? Don't think I've ever heard about this  :eyes:

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a protocol made for instant communication online via text, which is something you do on the daily nowadays but when it first appeared in 1988 it was mind-blowing

Despite it's age and better competitors popping in with the times (such as XMPP) it still holds a small yet dedicated userbase

Profile pic is from Secret Little Haven
xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024 @380.19 »

Let us know what IRC network / channels you're using!

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
Capybara
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Large rodent

StatusCafe: capybara

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024 @123.47 »

This great info! The last time I used IRC was in an old friend server, this thread may be the push for me to download a client.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

XMPP chats

Started by MemoryBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 14
Views: 1390
Last post January 14, 2024 @908.23
by virtue

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi