Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @161.76 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ➶ ∙ Art Gallery
| | |-+  paint samples and other crafts

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: paint samples and other crafts  (Read 567 times)
skullmadeofplastic
Newbie ⚓︎

the ipod brothers volumeup and playbutton

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: January 20, 2024 @47.25 »

On July 7th, 2023, I was thinking about growing up in poverty and creating art. I never had nice supplies in middle and early highschool; In fact almost all of my pens and markers were gotten for free one way or another. That got me thinking about FREE ways to make cool art, and I decided to make this paint sample creation of my fursona!

I had a large collection of paint samples as I always like to take 10 or 20 or 30 whenever I pass the section, and I thought, what can be more free than paint samples glued together by school-given gluesticks! I use 12$ oil pastels to add details (highly recommend as a medium btw - super underrated and way cheaper than markers). Since then, I've done quite a few more of these as commissions and gifts for friends.

I've never seen anyone do anything similar to this - Some collagers and junk journalists use paint samples as accents, and paper dolls are a thing, but I've never seen anyone else create this type of mosaic of paper! If you have made something similar or know of artists who have, I'd LOVE to see. Or just any more crafty traditional media that isn't just pen/marker/pencil on flat paper. Experimental art is my jam <3

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024 @88.07 »

Oh dear I absolutely ADORE THIS  :4u:  :4u: I'm a huge fan of it!!  :cheesy:
I use 12$ oil pastels to add details (highly recommend as a medium btw - super underrated and way cheaper than markers).
I haven't tried oil pastels quite yet so I'll take you up on that recommendation and try some since I'm looking for a new medium (I bought watercolors but I'm too afraid to use them right now..)

If you have made something similar or know of artists who have, I'd LOVE to see. Or just any more crafty traditional media that isn't just pen/marker/pencil on flat paper. Experimental art is my jam <3
I LOOOVE experimental art, multimedia, whatever to be called.. I have a hard time making my own ideas for it but I'm hoping to do something unique as you have! I don't have anything quite different but my friend gave me a felt doll of my OC for my birthday ^_^

There is something so sweet about having physical media of your characters, and I have a looot of physical media gifts thanks to my friends. I'm probably going to make this guy some clothes out of felt too and I can't wait to take all kinds of pictures with him!!
I'm a huge fan of collages too but I don't have many things to make collages out of at the moment, saving up all the little scraps I have... magazines are EXPENSIVE , I only have like a few magazines at home blurgh. So I can understand the inaccessibility of supplies, I really do
If you're ever open to do commissions in that type of medium I would be so interested ehee  :unite: It's really beautiful and unique!!

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
skullmadeofplastic
Newbie ⚓︎

the ipod brothers volumeup and playbutton

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024 @218.37 »

I haven't tried oil pastels quite yet so I'll take you up on that recommendation and try some since I'm looking for a new medium
I use these Pentel pastels (13$ for 50 pastels - on sale rn) I've had very few issues with them, they blend decently and I've used this pack till they were little stubs. The only things you can get cheaper than this are crayola and artist loft which.. are extremely hard to work with LOL. I have a small set of cray-pas which work nicely too, but more expensive and less colour variety (43$ for 50 pastels). I've also used Faber-castell in art classes before, which are awesome, but soo expensive dios mio! I'm sure some high end stuff out there is way nicer to work with than Pentels, but as my first set it worked wonders.

Also your doll is so cute oh my god!!!! Such a shaped little creature :D I love when people take photos of their little guys in different places. The detailing on the face is really cute - I make felt plushies as well but my faces are very simple, either basic eyes or googley eyes. Here are my favs I've made! Also I agree so hard w/ the joys of physical media; As much as I advocate for good spaces online, I love traditional art (or at least printed out digital) that I can enjoy with my own eyes so much).

If you're ever open to do commissions in that type of medium I would be so interested ehee 
I have commissions of these open!! They're 65$ - I always feel nervous saying that since it's much higher than your average internet artist opening comms price but I hope the 5 I've sold show it's worth it :') My full commission details are here.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024 @223.19 by skullmadeofplastic » Logged

j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024 @306.79 »

i love this! what a beautiful way of making something in spite of all the barriers in place. very cool!
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024 @531.60 »

These look amazing! The way you have set each shape, the colours you have picked, everything together is just harmonious and overall so pleasing to look at! And the amount of detail is incredible too... Kind of reminds me of the logic behind photo collages! Good job there! Certainly worth the price! :grin:

I sometimes think that art created under limits can get even more creative than the art created under no limits. And, I reckon what you have achieved here is solid proof!

There is something so sweet about having physical media of your characters, and I have a looot of physical media gifts thanks to my friends. I'm probably going to make this guy some clothes out of felt too and I can't wait to take all kinds of pictures with him!!

I couldn't agree more about this! It's just so nice to have something you have created feel even more alive by being able to interact with it in a physical space. I would love to be able to hug my characters! If only they were real... or in physical format in this case. :innocent:

Also your doll is so cute oh my god!!!! Such a shaped little creature :D I love when people take photos of their little guys in different places. The detailing on the face is really cute - I make felt plushies as well but my faces are very simple, either basic eyes or googley eyes. Here are my favs I've made! Also I agree so hard w/ the joys of physical media; As much as I advocate for good spaces online, I love traditional art (or at least printed out digital) that I can enjoy with my own eyes so much). [/font]

Oooo these look so cool as well! What kind of materials did you use for these? Man, I need to start making plushies too! :ozwomp:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
itspencilz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024 @764.61 »

I've made similar things out of cut pieces of color-aid paper!

Vroom vroom
slimeteefs
Casual Poster

👻it/he/they🦷

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024 @761.33 »

thats such a cool idea!!! i really love the texture and variance u got. i'll def remember this next time im at the hardware store >:)c

:dunno:
slimeteefs
Casual Poster

👻it/he/they🦷

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024 @762.66 »

i especially love adding other bits & bobs to the collage like buttons and grass it's so nice. all these r sick

:dunno:
CATBYTE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

cat’s out of the bag!

iMood: catbyte
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024 @31.89 »

this is such a cool idea and your execution looks fantastic! i really love how you chose such expressive poses, it adds a lot of life to each character! super awesome stuff! :dive:

they/them
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Behold: I finished a new painting

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 4
Views: 1499
Last post June 06, 2022 @681.66
by NacreousDreams
A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 17
Views: 2302
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull
Otherwordly Meat Site

Started by CommodornBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 7
Views: 1435
Last post April 11, 2024 @678.25
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi