Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @201.88 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 66/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Have you Read "The Internet Con: How to Seize the Means of Computation"?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Have you Read "The Internet Con: How to Seize the Means of Computation"?  (Read 165 times)
OneMillionFurries
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: February 04, 2024 @699.59 »

Hey hey! Has anyone here read "The Internet Con: How to Seize the Means of Computation" by Cory Doctorow? I highly recommend it. It's about how allowing interoperability in tech would allow us to be able to free ourselves from the claws that mainstream social media and big tech has on us.

If you didn't know (because I didn't before reading this,) "interoperability" means the ability to use or create something that will work with something else. EG you can use any brands AAA batteries in your remote. You can plug any plug into any wall socket. You can run any program you want on your computer.

Tech unfortunately has some unique and wildly restrictive laws on interoperability found in the DMCA. You can't make a program or website that pulls your Facebook messages and allows you to quit the platform while still talking to your Facebook friends. You can't make an unapproved app or your own app store for an Apple device. You can't bypass the digital locks on your John Deere tractor in order to make your own repairs to it. Not because it's difficult to, but because it's illegal.

Anyways, have you read the book? If not, did this thread make you interested in it? Please tell me what you think :D I really adore this book and would like to get as many people to read it as possible.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Pixel Art - Mini Contest - New message icons!

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 19
Views: 3377
Last post January 24, 2024 @827.36
by slimeteefs
Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 17
Views: 3727
Last post April 21, 2023 @795.87
by Guest
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 14
Views: 5020
Last post Today at @87.23
by Skykristal

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi