Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @178.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  Datamoshery/Glitch art

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Datamoshery/Glitch art  (Read 1419 times)
sharpieBath
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Average Homestuckian

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: February 07, 2024 @732.34 »

Anyone else here into datamoshiŋ or glitchiŋ out images/videos? I've been into it for a little bit and am eager to learn about more techniques and þe like! personally my favorite þiŋ to do is combiniŋ images usiŋ audacity; most of þe time i'll corrupt an image usiŋ a text editor and þen combine it wiþ þe original version!! i definitely do want to make some tutorials about it on my website soon, once i've finished remakiŋ my blog page ^^

a few datamoshes ive did vvvvvv

You can't fight þe homestuck!!
e-
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024 @753.50 »

I'd love to read a tutorial about this! I've only worked with online editors like photomosh and running files through a bunch of image compressors.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024 @810.94 »

read a tutorial about this
Im sure there are all sorts of better ways that people can add - but the simplest way to start is just to change the filetype of your image from .jpeg/.png etc to .txt, open it in Notepad/TextEdit and you'll get a file with a bunch of random code - don't mess with the very start or the end, but in the middle start deleting big chunks and copy-pasting chunks around. Then save it, chnage the filetype back to .jpeg and open it as normal - you can just keep doing that to see what effects happen ^^

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024 @976.35 »

Was super intrigued by Melon's explanation, so I made one of my own! Used some random Kangel fanart I had in my downloads. It turned out very cute and I will absolutely be using it as my icon somewhere at some point. It involved a LOT of deleting lines of code, which accidentally really optimized the file. I can use this icon anywhere now lol

Spoiler
[close]

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024 @995.61 »

It turned out very cute and I will absolutely be
Woah this turned out so well! I tried it again after writing that note and I just got a bunch of boring boxes on my image! You can also try adding things in, like copying bits of other images, or just adding stuff that should not be there at all, like pasting in an entire book or pome, that messes with it too :grin:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024 @115.75 »

Since I'm on Mac I had the image in Finder and in TextEdit at the same time. Every time I made an edit I liked I saved the image and the Finder preview updated. If I didn't like it, it was easy to Ctrl/Cmd+Z it and keep trying for something I liked! But I'll definitely try adding in other images later, that sounds really cool!!

wetnoodle
Full Member ⚓︎

a silly lil goose

View Profile WWW

LifeParticipated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024 @283.13 »

Im sure there are all sorts of better ways that people can add - but the simplest way to start is just to change the filetype of your image from .jpeg/.png etc to .txt, open it in Notepad/TextEdit and you'll get a file with a bunch of random code - don't mess with the very start or the end, but in the middle start deleting big chunks and copy-pasting chunks around. Then save it, chnage the filetype back to .jpeg and open it as normal - you can just keep doing that to see what effects happen ^^

This thread from a while ago is awesome for this stuff! Here's a few I made using this method, you can even buy/download audio effect plugins and use them through audacity for even more fun glitchy effects! This plugin is amazing for these effects (though I'd only recommend buying it if you want to use it for music too, it's a great plugin!)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024 @285.91 by wetnoodle » Logged

Fish
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of the most ok cuppa joe

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024 @191.52 »

Hey guys! I'm trying to get more into datamoshing specifically for video editing. It's a bit more confusing then I expected though. I got started a bit with using avidemux and following along with a guide helped me out a bit but I'm still pretty confused with a lot of stuff.

Some questions:

-Whats an I-frame and a P-frame, and which one should I mess around with when editing?

-Can I use the Notepad app for datamoshing?

-Any tips for smoother editing?

thanks to anyone who answers!  :ozwomp:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2024 @968.60 »

I wanted to repost some artworks and info by glitch artist (crash-stop) who I've met at a few events!

Some tools:
  • FFglitch - A mod of the video encoder FFmpeg that's designed just for datamoshing.
  • Hueswap - A tool made by glitch artist, Stallio, that lets you colour swap tones on an image for weird results.

Also here's a bunch of commands for ffmpeg that you can run in the commandline to do stuff like that video - They need to be run on ffmpeg 4.4.x and are only tested on "Devuan Linux" - I think most people wont know what to do with these (I dont fully know and I was there to see them run!) But I know the effects are really cool, so if you feel like digging in and figuring them out, maybe someone will enjoy them :grin: (His blog is linked above too if you wanna read more)

Commands
simple x11 grab using ffplay 'ffplay -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 10 -video_size 640x480 -i :0.0'
feeding the output of ffmpeg into ffplay

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 5 -video_size 1920x1060 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pixel_format bgr0 -video_size 1920x1060 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pixel_format bgr0 -video_size 1920x1060 -
The more complicated command line also allows us to play with colour space by changing pixel format .

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 5 -video_size 1280x720 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt monob -video_size 1280x720 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt monob -video_size 1280x720 -

in this case from a colour format bgr0 to a black and white dithered format monob
or we could change the output codec from rawvideo to a strange format like tmv ( created by enthusiasts to enable video playback on the original ibm 8088 powered pc)

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 5 -video_size 1280x720 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt monob -video_size 1280x720 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -vcodec tmv -pix_fmt monob -video_size 1280x720 -
or we could use ffmpegs displacement function

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 23 -video_size 640x640 -i :0.0 -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 23 -video_size 640x640 -i :0.0 -lavfi '[1]split
  • [y],[0]
  • [y]displace' -f rawvideo -pix_fmt pal8 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -pix_fmt pal8 -vf "rotate=1.23" -s 640x640 -

FINAL WINDOWS

3 vertical one square rotating

normal vertical

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 5 -video_size 640x1060 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt bgr0 -video_size 640x1060 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pixel_format bgr0 -video_size 640x1060 -

hflip vertical

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 5 -video_size 640x1060 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt bgr0 -video_size 640x1060 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pixel_format bgr0 -vf hflip  -video_size 640x1060 -

vflip vertical

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 5 -video_size 640x1060 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt bgr0 -video_size 640x1060 - | ffplay -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pixel_format bgr0 -vf vflip  -video_size 640x1060 -

square monob rotating

ffmpeg -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 23 -video_size 640x640 -i :0.0 -f x11grab -follow_mouse centered -framerate 23 -video_size 640x640 -i :0.0 -f rawvideo -pix_fmt monob - | ffplay -f rawvideo -pix_fmt monob -vf "rotate=1.23" -s 640x640 -

finally so using simple tools we can convert the desktop into a complex environment to experiment with feedback and by adding video playback we can also make it even more complex and rich.

And experimenting with ffmpeg filters can take it even further.
[close]

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024 @27.72 »

Datamoshing is so cool, I love this thread!

crash-stop

I'm an artist making glitch art

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024 @408.00 »

I'm kind of new here - hi everyone. I'll add more to this thread when I've got used to how this works and I've read everything properly!! 
crash-stop

I'm an artist making glitch art

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024 @411.24 »

Rewrote One of my earlier blog posts which was originally written for a series of workshops around how to make glitch art , this is a basic glitch art toolkit of opensource/floss programs for use on windows 10 (linux also but the assumption then was most people would be using windows 10 ) the most important of which for scripting is git-bash - anyways heres the post - if you have questions do ask https://crash-stop.blogspot.com/2024/06/basic-glitch-art-tool-kit.html Oh yes and this years Fubar ( theme = archiving ) is now open for submissions - Fubar is the longest continuously running and biggest glitch art festival in the world apply for online and offline events here https://formatc.hr/fubar-2024-event-calls/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024 @431.88 by crash-stop » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's Artworks

Started by MemoryBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 14
Views: 3647
Last post June 13, 2023 @143.22
by xandra
‿̩͙‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙ urgonic's awesome artworks ‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙

Started by sansBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 2
Views: 2054
Last post December 29, 2021 @506.89
by xandra
sleepyXTRA - Inside The Mind of The Lo-Fi Artist - released FREE!

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 0
Views: 1489
Last post January 21, 2022 @429.43
by ellievoyyd

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi