Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @2.55 (what is this?)
Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Pen Names

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pen Names  (Read 495 times)
Dibs
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Save the cheerleader, save the world!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: January 21, 2024 @483.96 »

Would you ever use a pen name? Do you use a pen name? How would you come up with one? Do any of your favourite writers use pen names?

I'm thinking of using one myself, but I only want to change my first name for the vibe's sake. I think my approach would be naming myself after one of my DnD characters! What would you do?

Clear Skies!
J. Soda
Casual Poster

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024 @6.46 »

For sure I've considered, I like the idea of privacy, or if I ever did interact face to face with people interested in my work, it would be some sort of barrier between that and me. If that makes sense!! I'm not entirely sure what it would be, maybe the same as my music stuff? Something not entirely serious if I came up with something new, similar to my name online! Either way, naming yourself after one of the character's seems so cool! It would be fun to see which character, and how that persona would relate to your writing :)

⋆。°✩ :loved: Love is underrated, actually :loved: ⋆。°✩
stinkzilla
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024 @693.08 »

I have multiple pen names but I can't ever seem to decide which to use  :ohdear: The way I come up with them is to just google some names and combine them here and there. The website: behindthename.com has a whole database of names which I occasionally use for naming my characters.  :ozwomp: Yeah, having a pen name after your dnd character sounds cool!
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024 @735.49 »

My username started out as an attempted pen name once, now Cobalt is basically my new name. :drat: I don't think I will ever seriously publish in writing, but for music I have cycled through many names until I finally found one that speaks to me. The name needed to be general enough that it can fit music of multiple genres. Somehow, going on vacation gave me just the right inspiration.

...It's not in use yet because that would mean I have any finished work to share. :ok: However whenever I do publish stuff I am intending to use that name, as it is something I'm content with if both IRL and online people were to find it.
Finnialla
Newbie ⚓︎

Definitely not in the bushes outside, don't check

StatusCafe: finnialla
iMood: Finnialla
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024 @182.94 »

I'm currently writing a pulp novel right now that I hope to turn into a series. When I started it, I had never thought of using a pen name. Earlier this year, when I wanted to start writing queer erotic romance novels, I realized I would probably want one, so I decided to put all my writing under one, even though I don't plan on keeping it a secret about who I am.

For me, my pen name is what my mom was going to name me before she made up Finnialla and her maiden last name, so it's Claudia Logan. I think that pen names are cool and it does give authors a sense of privacy, plus it's cool to just kinda change who you are.

Chuck Tingle is one of my favorite writers right now, and he uses a pen name. He also wears a pink bag over his face with the eye and mouth holes cut out and love is real written on top of it. He explains that he does it for his privacy. You absolutely don't have to go that far, but privacy is doable in the literary world.

Whatever you decide, it's about how you feel using your real name. I know it can get scary having so much of yourself out in the world. If you would want to write under a pen name, everyone here supports you 100% and so does most of the literary world. If they don't, I'll come and fight them.

Also, heck yeah. Naming yourself after one of your DND characters is super smart. I love that idea!

- Finnialla
(they/them) :dl:
Swiftpaw

it/its

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024 @690.29 »

We'd probably use pen names if we ever published anything. My system doesn't use our real first name at all online and we'd probably also like to add a separate separation for creative works to give our irl self an extra layer of privacy.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Physical Mail Penpalling Ring

Started by GuestBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 3
Views: 661
Last post February 10, 2023 @107.43
by Cobra!
Pet Names

Started by GuestBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 20
Views: 1196
Last post April 11, 2024 @915.93
by Misanthropic Monster™
The risk of domain names!

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 6
Views: 813
Last post April 03, 2023 @464.29
by lostletters

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi