Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 01, 2024 - @71.63 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 90/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  What's your opinion on works in progress/unfinished pages?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What's your opinion on works in progress/unfinished pages?  (Read 644 times)
gloomystudent
Newbie ⚓︎

StatusCafe: pim

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024 @952.74 »

I think it's better to publish an unfinished page than nothing at all. Empty websites that are perpetually under construction are disappointing but it shows that someone at some point wanted to create something there, even if it was never made. Broken links are annoying but they can happen even if the page is finished due to simple human error, but yes I personally find links that lead to empty pages or don't actually work (though they appear to be functional links) kind of annoying. But webpages with minimal content (e.g. blog with only one post or galleries with only a few images) is still something, and I don't find it annoying or disappointing at all. Even unfinished projects can be interesting to browse through.
For my website, I don't have a lot of time to update/add content to it so it's pretty barebones. I don't publish placeholder pages or empty links, so all my links work and each page has at least a little bit of actual content contained in it, but it's nowhere near finished. I think if I waited until it felt "finished" to publish it, I would just never end up uploading anything at all. From the other responses here I think this is pretty typical.
Skykristal
Full Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2024 @937.57 »

So here's my personal take on that:
Wips are fine! I even like them quite a lot. Seeing the process and different states is very interesting to see.

But I highly prefer that if a lot of things on a page, such as links, are incomplete, that they're designed in a way that tells me that nothing is behind it. Clicking through the entire menu to find a 404 is frustrating. PLEASE style those differently, make them none clickable or cross out. I'm not going to check if maybe one works and just close the site. I used to do that, and always found actual page in between 10 empty links. :notgood:

Personally:
I almost never share WIPs. At least not very big ones. I love publishing the final product most. It's just a preference. I want to show it off in all it's glory for people to see. And not finishing it later when maybe one person stumbles across it, and everyone else saw the meh state. it's just bothering me lol
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024 @939.63 by Skykristal » Logged

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's VSynth Works

Started by KAFKAPOLISBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 13
Views: 2335
Last post July 04, 2023 @605.29
by KAFKAPOLIS
What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 15
Views: 3162
Last post April 27, 2024 @951.25
by bliss
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3236
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi