Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @38.28 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 24/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 962.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  What is the most nostalgic OS for you?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What is the most nostalgic OS for you?  (Read 3058 times)
rain

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024 @644.03 »

For me, it's probably Windows XP - even though I'm pretty sure the first PC I've used was running 98. I remember starting to get more and more into computers back when XP was still a thing, ahaha.
brisray
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

RocketmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024 @777.72 »

For me it's the GEM GUI that gets me all nostalgic. Like the early verions of Windows, it was more of a glorified file manager that sat on DOS. I got the Amstrad PC1640 - just like the one pictured, but with a massive 640K of RAM, still no hard drive though.

* GEM.png (7.03 kB, 640x480 - viewed 22 times.)
Phoenix
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024 @839.91 »

For me it's the GEM GUI that gets me all nostalgic. Like the early verions of Windows, it was more of a glorified file manager that sat on DOS. I got the Amstrad PC1640 - just like the one pictured, but with a massive 640K of RAM, still no hard drive though.

Woahh ive never seen anything like this before! It looks super interesting!

"My Flames may flicker, but they Shall never die!"
tenkai_no_perusona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

あたしは暗い旅に出る

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024 @973.73 »

Definitely Windows 98. It accompanied me from my first contact with computers and the internet, when I was 7 years old, all the way to 2010, when a BSOD finally killed the machine running it. I went straight to Vista instead of going through XP—I lack the usual nostalgia for this last one.

arsenicCatnip

Big Big Worm is Wriggling With Glee!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024 @542.65 »

Amstrad!! Haven't heard that name in a while...Amstrad Action magazines were quite popular back in the day, weren't they!

Sipping strawberry tea...beaming love into me...eternally........
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2024 @553.36 »

Windows 7 for sure, but I also have a soft spot for XP as well :)

Yaya

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2024 @556.55 »

Windows 95/98 for sure. Definitely brings back the most positive memories!
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2024 @727.31 »

I'm going to show my lack of age here and say... windows 7, actually! I grew up on windows XP, and I use every major version of windows after that, but theres something really perfect to me about windows 7's gui. I actually just set up windows 7 on a real machine designed for it in my living room! I've been having a lot of fun playing around on it, hehe.

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
serenefork
Jr. Member ⚓︎

a Beanie Buddy!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: serenefork
iMood: serenefork

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024 @152.45 »

Windows 7 has always been the most nostalgic for me, though I've only really noticed it in the past couple of years when I got my current laptop and was forced into Windows 10. I had been putting it off for so long already and then my old laptop died and I needed to get a modern one for the classes I was taking at the time. I miss Windows 7, I would like to use it again someday.

(he/they)

Goobins

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024 @220.30 »

A LOT of people point to Windows XP as the quintessential 2000s OS but for my money, Windows 7 will always be the GOAT. It could honestly pass as a modern OS, albeit without the constant ads, built-in bloatware, and useless garbage that bogs down the whole user experience. The most nostalgic aspect of the whole OS to me will always be its version of Movie Maker. I have so many memories of sitting on my little Acer laptop, cutting together footage of comedy sketches me and my brother filmed on our V-Cam Now 2.0, and uploading them straight to YouTube from the built-in uploader, which was WICKED slow. Windows XP was the first OS I ever used, but 7 was the first one I got to know intimately, so it'll always hold a special place in my heard.

Side-note, does anyone else remember that odd evolution of AIM Instant Messenger that came out sometime in the late-2000s? It was pretty sick for the time. It had integrated Facebook (and I think Twitter?) support, which was CRAZY at the time, considering there was otherwise no way to access Facebook's messenger without being on the website actively.
nintendowii99
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: @pawprints

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2024 @815.09 »

Windows 95 - 7 are all extremely nostalgic and capture most of my childhood (8 came out when I was in high school). Windows 95 was the OS on my first desktop, and while I don't have many memories of it, I do still enjoy it. We only used vista for about a year, but that year coincided with a lot of my internet use as a kid (my webkinz/neopets/online games era). 7 was the OS on my first laptop, so there's lots of nostalgia there.

However, XP is definitely the most nostalgic OS for me. I used it from around when I was 4 to when I was 12ish. This was the OS in my elementary school computer lab, on my personal desktop that I spent hours and hours playing, and on our family computer. I love pretty much everything about the OS and still use it today. I have a dual boot with Windows 7 just for utility purposes, but I use XP daily.
varve
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2024 @128.68 »

Hmm, hard to say. My first computer that was *mine* ran windows 95, and I had that thing for years. But I don't know that I'm nostalgic for it. I had many hours as a small child playing (aka programming) on the TRS-80 - which we didn't have a tape drive for, so there were no games I could load up and play. Ah, when "10 print hello 20 goto 10" was the height of amusement! I don't remember it clearly enough to really say I had nostalgia though.

I have many good (and some frustrating) memories of linux. I do sometimes find myself itching to muck about on system level stuff, so that's probably the one I have the most nostalgia for - then I remember that I don't actually want to be a sysadmin anymore.
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2024 @729.85 »

XP was the OS on the family laptop when I was young, but I first used 7 in-depth on my mother's computer, so maybe that! Although I admit, it might be Windows 8.1, which I had on my first computer. I have lots of memories of tinkering around with that!

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

MarcieBee
Casual Poster ⚓︎

{this personal text box intentionally left blank}

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2024 @20.13 »

We were all windows all the time in my house, but when I was very young we had iMac G3's in the computer lab. So, a lot of my fonder memories of using an OS as opposed to software was using those Macs running Mac OS 9! Also, my first laptop came preinstalled with Ubuntu 12.10 instead of windows, and reading this post made me think of it again. looking at screenshots, yea, instant nostalgia. I think I know what I'm setting my wallpaper to  :ha:

Don't sweat it, it's just the internet!
soapfriendo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

soap, it/they

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: soapfriendo

View Profile WWW

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2024 @127.63 »

Im gonna say iOS 1-6! Before the 7 redesign:

It was a really weird OS, it had fake wooden shelves, leather and metal and all these glossy icons n stuff. I'm not sure I'd say it was my favourite era of design, but it definitely stuck in my head and it's so completely lost to history, no modern UI is anything like it! (Apparently, they fired the entire team who designed it in an overnight coop just before launching the new flat UI iOS still uses now)

For computers, I love the OSX 10.1 pinstripe UI, but the one I remember using most was the 10.4 Tiger brushed metal look! (Aka when Apple was still cool  :drat: )

i have a good amount of nostalgia for 2000s era apple OSes too, huuge fan of the usage of fake materials for their ui and i'd like to do smth like that for my webpage at some point. i haven't used mac os since i was a kid so if i were to use it now my muscle memory wld need some rewiring

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 279
Views: 28044
Last post September 07, 2024 @123.48
by larvapuppy
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 6382
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3903
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi