Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @320.20 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 31/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  What is the most nostalgic OS for you?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What is the most nostalgic OS for you?  (Read 2915 times)
Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« on: March 21, 2024 @692.71 »

For me, the most Nostalgic operating system is Windows XP. I recently set up a virtual machine with Windows XP for a bit of fun (although sadly I couldnt get most web services to work on it  :sad: ).
How about you?  :pc:

"My Flames may flicker, but they Shall never die!"
Bone-A Lisa
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Feelin' Spooky

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024 @782.84 »

I'm a youngin' so the oldest OS I have any nostalgia for is Vista :ohdear: 

I still remember when my dad made me my own account on the home PC finally, I was obsessed with Daft Punk at the time and set them as my very first wallpaper and account picture lol.

zj
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: zeejay
iMood: zeejay

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024 @836.64 »

Windows XP is probably the most nostalgic to me. I played so much Spore on my parents' WinXP PC :3 those were the days~

why dontcha have a peek at my site :eyes:
(23 years old)
this is Kurt ↓
gif of a ""tamaNOTchi". Click to feed!
click to feed him :3
Paprika
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!the one and only paprika!Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024 @874.75 »

Windows 95 because it's the first OS I got to know as a young teen and we had it on middle school computers. I wish windows released an official Win95 theme fro Win10+...
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024 @889.24 »

Im gonna say iOS 1-6! Before the 7 redesign:

It was a really weird OS, it had fake wooden shelves, leather and metal and all these glossy icons n stuff. I'm not sure I'd say it was my favourite era of design, but it definitely stuck in my head and it's so completely lost to history, no modern UI is anything like it! (Apparently, they fired the entire team who designed it in an overnight coop just before launching the new flat UI iOS still uses now)

For computers, I love the OSX 10.1 pinstripe UI, but the one I remember using most was the 10.4 Tiger brushed metal look! (Aka when Apple was still cool  :drat: )
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024 @893.65 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
zj
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: zeejay
iMood: zeejay

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024 @937.45 »

It was a really weird OS, it had fake wooden shelves, leather and metal and all these glossy icons n stuff. I'm not sure I'd say it was my favourite era of design, but it definitely stuck in my head and it's so completely lost to history, no modern UI is anything like it! (Apparently, they fired the entire team who designed it in an overnight coop just before launching the new flat UI iOS still uses now)

omg yes ios 6 <3

why dontcha have a peek at my site :eyes:
(23 years old)
this is Kurt ↓
gif of a ""tamaNOTchi". Click to feed!
click to feed him :3
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024 @984.99 »

I still get nostalgic for text-mode Linux. No GUI, no graphical distractions. Just Emacs in a terminal. I come to my senses once I'm forcibly reminded that the Linux text console doesn't provide Unicode support.

bingus_baby
Full Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024 @165.12 »

I can't say I hold much fondness for it, but it would go to Windows 7 Starter Edition. Bundled with my first (personal) netbook at the time. You'd think the award would go to XP, but I barely remember the damn thing! Spent too much time in AOL Desktop to remember the base OS of the family desktop. So my childhood OS would be 7 Starter Edition since my first own computer had it and it's what let me play Neopets in the comfort of my bedroom. Same as normal 7, but lacking a few features such as changing the wallpaper beyond bundled or Windows approved ones, as well as no 64x software. Life was hard back then T_T My computer could not run YouTube without buffering every few seconds. This alone should tell you all you need to know. (My second computer after this one meant the world to me! I could finally watch YT without interruptions lol)

I'd love to know if anyone else had experience with the distro of Windows cause no one else remembers it besides me. Told a friend about it, and god that got a riot out of him. Damn netbook was the funniest thing ever to him. But to me an Intel Atom CPU is no laughing matter when it was the only thing I had for the better part of six years LMAOOOOOO. Can't believe I lived that long off 2GB RAM and a dinky CPU! But it was that era in which I learned my first few lines of HTML, so I can't make fun of it too much... Basic Windows Notepad always and forever <3

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

moodyFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024 @287.45 »

Easily win 7, spent so much time doing mindless minesweeping, playing pinball 3D: space cadet (i guess remnants of a previous XP install were on my dad's office computer) and having fun in purble place

I have no idea what I’m doing.
Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024 @511.63 »

For computers, I love the OSX 10.1 pinstripe UI, but the one I remember using most was the 10.4 Tiger brushed metal look! (Aka when Apple was still cool  :drat: )

This reminds me of the old instagram logo for some reason lol, simplier times fr

Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024 @512.14 »

Easily win 7, spent so much time doing mindless minesweeping, playing pinball 3D: space cadet (i guess remnants of a previous XP install were on my dad's office computer) and having fun in purble place
7 is second place for me!

Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024 @512.74 »

I'm a youngin' so the oldest OS I have any nostalgia for is Vista :ohdear: 

I still remember when my dad made me my own account on the home PC finally, I was obsessed with Daft Punk at the time and set them as my very first wallpaper and account picture lol.

I love hearing little old computer memories like this!

bby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

take my memories of her with u

StatusCafe: bumblebear
iMood: dahliahawthorne

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024 @894.50 »

windows 95 through vista are so nostalgic to me, but if i had to pick it would be xp. i still use the wallpapers on my pc lol. i remember hating the default green and blue look, i would change it to be high contrast or the silver one.

i think the games are the most nostalgic part. i played a lot of space cadet. i learned how to play solitaire on xp. and i used to try to play like the online chess and hearts games with random people online as a kid, but i don't think i ever won. and outside of the default games, i played my dad's elf bowling lol and mavis beacon. i had a barbie game and the nsync cell phone one too but i mostly remember the pre-installed games.

i know vista gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but as someone who skipped 7 completely and went to 8 when my vista laptop died, i don't understand what was so bad about it? i used to customize the hell out of mine, here are some pictures from high school lol (were too big for the attachments):

Spoiler

[close]

now i'm too lazy to even do half of that customization :ok:

makeup and stickers and ponies and myspace.com melonland.net! :ozwomp:

:sleep::wizard::happy:

:4u: digital pet hoard
:mail: wanna be pen pals?
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024 @0.15 »

Win 98 was always so nice looking, and all those amazing screensavers and themes, etc. Gahhh I loved the OS so much. But it was kinda janky, oh my god. Whenever the taskbar crashed etc, grrr. Anyone remember when it did that annoying crash that removed your desktop image?

WinXP was probably the best OS ever for me (until Win7). Simply amazinggggg OS, and the later versions were very stable, I never had any issues with the later ones (SP2 +++). I still have one that runs very nicely. Also it had so many good games!!  :4u:

I still use a Win7 PC so I guess I can't be nostalgic for it, lol. but it's def my fav <3

Vist was...  :tongue: hehe no I mean, Vista wasn't bad in itself, but I guess it was ahead of it's time or something, because I never saw it run nicely on any PC. It was always jittery, sluggish, crashed, unstable, you name it. Felt like they never truly managed to optimize it or something.

Phoenix
Casual Poster

View Profile

mail buddyJoined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024 @486.71 »

windows 95 through vista are so nostalgic to me, but if i had to pick it would be xp. i still use the wallpapers on my pc lol. i remember hating the default green and blue look, i would change it to be high contrast or the silver one.

i think the games are the most nostalgic part. i played a lot of space cadet. i learned how to play solitaire on xp. and i used to try to play like the online chess and hearts games with random people online as a kid, but i don't think i ever won. and outside of the default games, i played my dad's elf bowling lol and mavis beacon. i had a barbie game and the nsync cell phone one too but i mostly remember the pre-installed games.

i know vista gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but as someone who skipped 7 completely and went to 8 when my vista laptop died, i don't understand what was so bad about it? i used to customize the hell out of mine, here are some pictures from high school lol (were too big for the attachments):

Spoiler

[close]

now i'm too lazy to even do half of that customization :ok:

Omg I loved the solitaire on XP!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 265
Views: 26535
Last post July 10, 2024 @965.09
by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 6057
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3751
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi