Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @320.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 31/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | | |-+  Thoughts on Dune 2?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on Dune 2?  (Read 826 times)
Yaya

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: March 27, 2024 @717.66 »

I just saw Dune 2 and I'm kind of mixed about it? I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

First off the cinematography was amazing, the soundtrack was incredible, the supporting cast was phenomenal; I felt immersed in the story and I really felt like I was "there". I didn't get to see it in IMAX or IMAX 70mm which I think would have made me realize just how amazing it was but WOW it was stunning and so well done.

Unfortunately I couldn't help but feel bored through much of it? Unfortunately I think much of that was due to Timothée Chalamet. I thought it was a great casting as Paul is supposed to be kind of obnoxious and unlikable at times, but I just couldn't "buy-in" to what he was experiencing or feeling. I just didn't believe it. Also it doesn't help that he sort of plays the same character/plays himself in all the movies I've seen. Maybe he's just not my cup of tea.

I find that I usually align with the reviewers on Roger Ebert, and this time I did find myself aligning with Brian Tallerico's 3.5/4 star review (pretty good!). In his words:

"As for performers, Chalamet is likely to be the most divisive element, often feeling a bit flat for someone believed to be the Neo of this world. However, those choices add up in a way that makes thematic sense, enhancing the uncertainty of Paul’s rise. Zendaya is solid—although she lacks chemistry with Chalamet that would have helped..."

Personally I would give Dune 3/4 stars, or in grade terms perhaps an A-, which is pretty solid! What are your thoughts?

e-
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024 @761.98 »

Similarly mixed. The most noticeable element to me was the pacing. There are tons of scenes and they all feel like they're fighting with each other for dominance. quiet moments are squeezed and big moments like the climactic battle don't feel quite so impactful because everything's big.
looking back they could have easily pushed the split further into the plot, giving 1 more to do and 2 more room to breath.
BlackMageGaming
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!Black Mage HatJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024 @912.69 »

I had read the first book before I saw Dune 1, and many more Dune books before Dune 2.

Personally, I really liked it! I still personally think it's better to read the books, but I watched it with a friend who had just watched the first book, and me and him had a very good conversation about it afterwards. The cinematography was beautiful, blending with the music to create a great atmosphere that I could feel in the theater.

"As for performers, Chalamet is likely to be the most divisive element, often feeling a bit flat for someone believed to be the Neo of this world. However, those choices add up in a way that makes thematic sense, enhancing the uncertainty of Paul’s rise. Zendaya is solid—although she lacks chemistry with Chalamet that would have helped..."

I can agree with this quote, though I think Chalamet did amazing as Paul, being a spoiled little rich boy way out of his league in a new harsh world. I'm glad he wasn't seen as a messiah to everyone all at once. He knew when to speak up and talk loud when he had to, especially considering how soft spoken he was in the first part. But I do agree that Zendaya and Chalamet didn't have much chemistry.

Spoilers for Dune 2:
Spoiler
A huge scene that I couldn't wait to be adapted was when Paul and his mother both had to drink the Water of Life (I always interpreted it as Raw Spice.), and use their Bene Gesserit abilities to make their bodies process it. In the books it was a crazy trip through the future, and when the first movie DIDN'T cover it, I knew it had to be beautiful in the second part.
:ozwomp:
[close]

"The joy of living far outweighs the fear of death."
~ Black Mage #288

MrsMoe
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024 @216.38 »

I hope I'm not the only person here who flat out loved this film lol. I got to see it in theaters and it honestly took my breath away at times. I honestly think its a cinematic marvel on every level and it's incredible that a film of this scale and craftsmanship came out of the main studio system (....y'know, considering its current state). It's my favorite film of the year so far.

Personally, Timothy's acting didn't bother me at all and you gotta keep in mind, he's supposed to be a little bit unlikable. The story is critical of his position as the messiah after all.

almostcorporeal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

you are a violent and irrepressible miracle

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024 @599.57 »

i finally got around watching part 2 yesterday and it made me bummed as heck that i couldn't see it in theaters! it seems like it would be amazing on the big screen. i echo what everyone is saying about the soundtrack especially, i was constantly wowed by it. i liked chalamet's performance despite typically not being big on him. i think he was certainly a bit unlikable and as BlackMageGaming said, i did see him as that spoiled rich kid trying to figure out his way in the world. honestly i was more infatuated with butler's (feyd-rautha) performance. he was so creepy and unnerving and i loved every second of it. i agree as well on the lack of chemistry between paul and chani which was pretty disappointing to me since i love a good romance subplot especially one with that kind of ending! "lead them to paradise" is gonna live in my mind rent free for months all in all lol

the holy inquisition finds you guilty of heresy and you and your descendants must be cleansed in blood
Seraphim
Casual Poster

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024 @281.57 »

Agreed with everyone on how beautiful the cinematography is, and that soundtrack! I loved how this film really made the world seem as big as it is supposed to be. It truly felt like an alien world with layers of politics destroying it. I also am in the underwhelmed-by-Timothee camp EXCEPT when he goes off the deep end towards the finale of the movie. I thought he did really well then. Having just watched the Lynch version, I find Timothee's ascent (descent?) into Maud-dib more satisfying. And I loved Zendaya! I'm really happy to see her get this wide range of roles, I think she has the chops for it, but agreed on there being a lack of chemistry.

:drat:
Yaya

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024 @665.36 »

I can agree with this quote, though I think Chalamet did amazing as Paul, being a spoiled little rich boy way out of his league in a new harsh world.

Oh I 100% agree with you! It was really well cast--I just don't love his acting as a whole, but I think for the spoiled rich boy type it's on the nose. I think that's why it was also such a good casting in Call Me By Your Name  :melon:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2591
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage
Your thoughts on the forum categories?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 34
Views: 6646
Last post November 15, 2023 @892.60
by keybladekid6
Thoughts on credit

Started by KariusBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 1436
Last post May 15, 2022 @625.96
by Karius

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi