Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @348.26 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Super Mario 64

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Super Mario 64  (Read 1109 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: May 23, 2024 @717.22 »

Playing it with my flatmate atm, and its quite fun - and more challenging than I expected from my childhood memories :). We are closing in to the first Bowser, made all stars (except the coinstars) in the levels up until now. Not sure if we go for all of them, though.

Recently, a tool to make own maps was released - we are fine with the original for now, but it seems certainly interesting:

https://github.com/rovertronic/Mario-Builder-64

it's based on a romhack called "Beyond the cursed Mirror", which is also reputed to have a rather high quality :).

Did you play the game or even any romhacks of it?

wetnoodle
Full Member ⚓︎

a silly lil goose

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

LifeParticipated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024 @921.41 »

OOh  gotta check that one out. I've played this one and really liked it but my emulator always crashed after the stars  :sad:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024 @665.19 »

Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've have played it over and over. Currently, I have an Everdrive 64 that holds a huge library of N64 games, but I mostly use it to play the SM64 Randomizer, which has in-ROM options that lets you customize your playthrough every time. It's pretty great, because I get to play a version that surprises me after all these years!

I did notice the level maker when it came out, and once I have some time I'll sit down and install it on either my Everdrive or PC. I'd love to see what other people come up with and play through user levels!

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024 @905.89 »

OOh  gotta check that one out. I've played this one and really liked it but my emulator always crashed after the stars  :sad:

This looks damn cool - but damn hard! =).

Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I've have played it over and over. Currently, I have an Everdrive 64 that holds a huge library of N64 games, but I mostly use it to play the SM64 Randomizer, which has in-ROM options that lets you customize your playthrough every time. It's pretty great, because I get to play a version that surprises me after all these years!

Sounds fun :). Haven't really played any game with a randomizer till now, but made Ship of Harkinian (native OOT port) running on my system a few weeks back, and maybe I'll tackle it somewhere this year :).
I used to have a original N64, but getting good gamepads is a real pain; how do you work around this?

I did notice the level maker when it came out, and once I have some time I'll sit down and install it on either my Everdrive or PC. I'd love to see what other people come up with and play through user levels!

Great what they do with these old games, isn't it? :D

garystu
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024 @147.82 »

I played both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS a lot in my childhood. Good stuff.

I've played two romhacks, B3313 (didn't finish it) and Peach's Fury (short hack trivial to finish).

I might go back to B3313. Its got this fun "poke around in it for a while" energy, like you can just run around and find weird things. The "horror game" aspect is a bit trite though. All creepypasta SM64 stuff is firmly the funniest shit I've ever seen, Mario 64's just not scary.

Peach's Fury is very short but its a fun time in its short length. Its a nonlinier open world, which is openly a bit of a tech demo/stepping stone game for the dude making the romhack. Its got a few annoying stars, but so does the base game. And Peach's Fury does so much cool stuff in its short length.

I might mess around in 3D Mario Maker. I liked Nintendo's Super Mario Maker games. I think I opened Lunar Magic once, half my lifetime ago, as well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024 @149.85 by garystu » Logged

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024 @739.16 »

I used to have a original N64, but getting good gamepads is a real pain; how do you work around this?

Great what they do with these old games, isn't it? :D

I've found them online and in thrift stores, and then I repair them. In particular, I like using the Gamecube-style sticks, and you can get ones made specifically for the N64 from several stores, but here's a listing as an example:
https://stoneagegamer.com/replacement-controller-joystick-for-nintendo-64-gamecube-style-repairbox.html

They're pretty easy to take apart, and I like cleaning them up and making them new again. The newer sticks are a bit too sensitive at first, but after playing with them for a bit, they get much better. My current fav is an original grey one that I swapped out for the Gamecube stick and it works great!

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024 @635.95 »

I've played two romhacks, B3313 (didn't finish it) and Peach's Fury (short hack trivial to finish).

I might go back to B3313. Its got this fun "poke around in it for a while" energy, like you can just run around and find weird things. The "horror game" aspect is a bit trite though. All creepypasta SM64 stuff is firmly the funniest shit I've ever seen, Mario 64's just not scary.

I'd say that the early 3D games have somewhat of a "bleak" component that is interesting - but all attempts to transform this into "horror games" without adding something deeper results - for me - in kitsch; it is a general problem I also have with the whole "haunted PS" stuff, that never worked out for me.
A successful game that uses the bleakness of early 3D by combining it with Lynchian elements is Purgatory Prime. But I go OT here.

They're pretty easy to take apart, and I like cleaning them up and making them new again. The newer sticks are a bit too sensitive at first, but after playing with them for a bit, they get much better. My current fav is an original grey one that I swapped out for the Gamecube stick and it works great!

Damn cool :).
The brother of a friend of mine is making a living from repairing old consoles; I believe he also said that he uses GC-Sticks to repair N64 pads.

Bumperdog
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2024 @346.02 »

Super Mario 64 is my favorite 3D mario game. I know a lot about the romhacks and I watched a guy named Simpleflips played a lot of them. It really inspired me at one time to want to make my own but it's too complicated and I gave up a long time ago, but the new Mario Builder 64 looks promising.

With that being said I actually started a let's play series on Super Mario 64 a few weeks back and I'm currently not making any new videos at the moment but hopefully I will get back to it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmJ9nmpgCvxb86HZZsEL2Sp72i4ZJFJiU

"You may die a hero or you may live long enough to see yourself become the villian." - Most favorited quote from someone I don't know.
garystu
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2024 @384.81 »

I'd say that the early 3D games have somewhat of a "bleak" component that is interesting - but all attempts to transform this into "horror games" without adding something deeper results - for me - in kitsch; it is a general problem I also have with the whole "haunted PS" stuff, that never worked out for me.
A successful game that uses the bleakness of early 3D by combining it with Lynchian elements is Purgatory Prime. But I go OT here.

Of course, horror games existed in the 90s. Horror can work on old tech, or in retro throwbacks. Mario 64 just isn't one of them. Its not a bleak world in SM64, and it's Mario the funny wahoo jumping man.

Try not to laugh/groan compilation.

I do like B3313, just as an exploration experience and not a horror one. I like getting lost in weird rooms. And even if its kitschy, I do like how there's contrast in the moods and vibes of the different areas. Although maybe its also this aspect which doesn't compel me to finish it.

Its your topic, derail it if you wanna. I've never seen purgatory prime, I'll let you know if I check it out. I'm a bit too much of a chicken for genuine horror games tbh. :cheesy:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024 @579.12 by garystu » Logged

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2024 @880.98 »

Of course, horror games existed in the 90s. Horror can work on old tech, or in retro throwbacks. Mario 64 just isn't one of them. Its not a bleak world in SM64, and it's Mario the funny wahoo jumping man.

I know older horror games that had a good atmosphere, but I believe that these didn't attempt to use the bleakness (caused by technical limitations) as a source of horror; if anything, they rather tried to work around it. For the "haunted" titles, it is often the only source of horror - not sure if this is replicable.

I'm playing SM64 nowadays, and I see a certain bleakness in the monochrome textures, the stiff models, and so on (even more visible through the jolly mood of the game) but this could be me.

Its your topic, derail it if you wanna. I've never seen purgatory prime, I'll let you know if I check it out. I'm a bit too much of a chicken for genuine horror games tbh. :cheesy:

Its a rather Lynchian form of horror. A few jumpscares, but nothing terrible.

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024 @697.20 »

I really want to play this someday! I wish I had been able to snag Super Mario 3D All-Stars, but I think I'll have to settle for buying a second-hand N64 or something---I don't think emulating except on a console would be the same.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2024 @735.80 »

I played it back in the days on the original hardware, but we use the recomp now (as said, getting the original controllers is a pain in the ....). It runs fine, and even smoother than the original. Can recommend.

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2024 @889.06 »

We just finished the game, using the recompiled version. It was a good one, including the later levels that are seemingly often regarded as of lesser quality. We found them hard, sometimes frustrating, but, at the same time, fun for their challenge.
Collected 101 stars (skipped the red coins at Bowser, most of the regular 100 coin stars, and some of the castles hidden stars) - this way, the game was challenging enough, even as an quite trained player.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Almost on my way to beating Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

Started by easy_breezyBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 1366
Last post February 24, 2022 @94.83
by OkayRelax
Supercade - Book Review!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1338
Last post March 20, 2022 @85.47
by Kutan
The Aquabats! Super Show!

Started by McMagneticBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 19
Views: 1437
Last post June 07, 2024 @922.82
by garystu

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi