Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @81.39 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 919.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  How to make site buttons?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to make site buttons?  (Read 737 times)
clowdywings
Casual Poster ⚓︎

transmasc cyberpunk ocs 🔛 🔝

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: clowdywings
iMood: clowdywings
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: May 26, 2024 @700.47 »

hello all! i was wondering how other people make their site button. specifically the 88x31 button (like the one i have in my signature). i made the one in my signature using this button maker, but i was wondering how other people made theirs. i don't want to make a button just to dramatically downsize it and have it unreadable, but as of right now that's what i'm thinking about.

xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Jr. Member ⚓︎

I wonder whats for DINNER

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Tin WhistleJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024 @769.61 »

I just make them from scratch with FireAlpaca as I also animate them frame by frame. I start with a transparent 88x31 canvas and create two layers, one for the background and one for the border. Lately I've found it more useful to design the border first as it sets the tone for the rest of the piece. Some fancier border designs will also require more space; so it's good to what you are left with before you start the main content rather than having to make sacrifices later down the line.

Readability is definitely a big concern. I played around with a bunch of different fonts and found that Century Gothic is very readable at 3pt, so I've adopted it for pretty much all of my buttons. It is a little samey, so I'd love to hear if anyone has any other font recommendations.

I've definitely had to abandon button ideas since the assets I was using didn't scale well enough; sometimes I can cheat it a bit by imagining the button to be like a window or veiwport; I keep the assets at a large scale but animate them so most of the image crosses into view, but this is not always a viable solution. In these cases, the idea might be better off retooled as banner ad rather than scrapping it entirely. I'm not sure what the agreed specs are on that but my (horizontal) banner ads are 468x60.

BUTCHBONEZ
Full Member ⚓︎

certified analog horror junkie

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Thanks for being rad!Local GothJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024 @801.41 »

i just used pixilart and a favicon i liked

you are safe here, traveler

HY / XE / FANG
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024 @821.35 »

I just make them from scratch with FireAlpaca as I also animate them frame by frame. I start with a transparent 88x31 canvas and create two layers, one for the background and one for the border. Lately I've found it more useful to design the border first as it sets the tone for the rest of the piece. Some fancier border designs will also require more space; so it's good to what you are left with before you start the main content rather than having to make sacrifices later down the line.

Readability is definitely a big concern. I played around with a bunch of different fonts and found that Century Gothic is very readable at 3pt, so I've adopted it for pretty much all of my buttons. It is a little samey, so I'd love to hear if anyone has any other font recommendations.

This is exactly how I make them. I don't use fonts though, I usually do text via my own pixel art so I can be sure it looks good.

xixxii
Full Member ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Web 1.0 Picture Size Expertthe xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024 @86.79 »

i used this freeware program that's specifically for making gifs to make mine! it's a little frustrating sometimes because it has some limitations (it's more than 20 years old), but i'm not a pixel artist or anything so it's good enough for my purposes. sometimes i edit frames in paint.net first and then copy-paste them into jasc.

clowdywings
Casual Poster ⚓︎

transmasc cyberpunk ocs 🔛 🔝

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: clowdywings
iMood: clowdywings
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024 @91.03 »

Century Gothic is very readable at 3pt, so I've adopted it for pretty much all of my buttons.
good to know thank you!! your post is very helpful!

pixilart and a favicon i liked
gotcha, makes sense. that's similar to what i did

I usually do text via my own pixel art so I can be sure it looks good.
oh i didn't consider this before! that's a good idea, tysm!

i used this freeware program that's specifically for making gifs to make mine! i
thank you so much! I'll take a look at it!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2503
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Memory
Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 2264
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 8269
Last post August 02, 2024 @153.99
by candycanearter07

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi