Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @233.60 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 30/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | | |-+  Niche foreign film recommendations anyone??

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Niche foreign film recommendations anyone??  (Read 698 times)
b-lly

professional lurker :eyes:

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2024 @795.07 »

is La Haine niche? I recommend it, a social thriller set in the poor Parisian suburbs. but it could bore you

I never watched them but the Bud Spencer and Terenz Hill comedy westerns are very famous in Italy

if you're also interested in tv series, I higly recommend the animated Tear Along the Dotted Line, an adult comedy drama by famous cartoonist Zerocalcare (adult not because it's crass but because of serious topics). I also recommend the second one he made, This World Can't Tear Me Down but it's less universal since it deals with local political problems

I want everyone outside of Italy to know about Fantozzi (first movie with eng subs on youtube!) but it's probably not even that funny to foreigners. or people who didn't grow up with it. and honestly some jokes have aged like milk. but now you know it exists

all of Ghibli movies count as foreign :) !

almostcorporeal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

you are a violent and irrepressible miracle

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2024 @217.65 »

some of my favorite foreign films are Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key directed by Sergio Martino which is a giallo (Italian horror genre) film, i worry it may be a bit slow though. Deep Red directed by Dario Argento is also of the same genre and i really enjoyed it as well.

Fallen Angels directed by Wong Kar-wai (who is well known for directing In The Mood For Love, one of my top 5's) was also really enjoyable and is more niche than In The Mood For Love (although i super recommend In The Mood For Love as well). His movies are gorgeous too  :loved: they're both Hong Kong drama romances

I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK directed by Park Chan-wook (of Oldboy and Handmaiden fame) was super cute and sweet, i watched it a while back and i still think of it frequently! it's a Korean romance drama comedy.

House (Hausu as it's sometimes written) directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi is fairly popular but i'm still recommending it because i adore it. it's a Japanese horror film.

i also love Wetlands directed by David Wnendt which is a bit crude but is a German drama comedy

the holy inquisition finds you guilty of heresy and you and your descendants must be cleansed in blood
Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024 @482.69 »

I would recommend Gaspar Noé's 'Enter the Void' as it's quite a trippy and interesting movie - I am also a sucker for first person experiences like that. (I would also recommend 'Love' which was another of his movies)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is also great. It's a 1920s German silent horror film directed by Robert Wiene - it's basically like watching someone's abstract nightmare.

and ofcourse Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror - another German movie, this time a 1922 silent Expressionist vampire film directed by F. W. Murnau.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Anime recommendations please!

Started by pleb-hates-the-modern-webBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 9
Views: 2149
Last post November 27, 2022 @760.84
by Nines
recommendations (horror manga)

Started by MeiChanKawaiBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 2
Views: 1022
Last post December 30, 2022 @541.70
by sig
Laptop Recommendations

Started by MemoryBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 17
Views: 1833
Last post September 16, 2023 @130.20
by Salty

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi