Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @90.51 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 20/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 910.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  suddenly feeling weirdly sad about old dead websites/forums

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: suddenly feeling weirdly sad about old dead websites/forums  (Read 924 times)
Junebug
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Vanitas Vanitatum Omnia Vanitas

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Vanitas no Carte fanJoined 2024!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2024 @824.72 »

I think whenever there's a new technology, there's passionate evangelists for that technology who believe it will create lasting, permanent change on society. I remember a lot of that growing up when the world wide web was increasingly becoming a normal part of people's lives. They'd taken for granted that uploaded files would always be available on the internet and that this would do away with the necessity of older information technologies. Now it's clear that copyright holders affect the dissemination of books and articles and the rest, that such things are not nearly as easily available as they were ten years ago, that people in practice do not save files faster than they are destroyed, and that books are actually a lot more durable than digital files because they at least have the decency to not dematerialize on you randomly. This is not to speak of the obsolescence of technology making it harder to access old things, like how you need emulators to play old games. A little extra inconvenience can go a long way toward encouraging people to forget about the past.

I think digital media is uniquely bad when it comes to information ephemerality in this case. Most people are familiar with the burning of the Library of Alexandria as an archetypal example of lost media, but fires happen occasionally while the web is always burning. It follows the words of Sir Thomas Browne:

But the iniquity of oblivion blindely scattereth her poppy, and deals with the memory of men without distinction to merit of perpetuity.

My preferred programming language is AutoHotKey.

"What you thought was a given was in reality a product of miracles."

Eunice
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Behind every great woman there is a cat.

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Serennau

View Profile WWW

The Wise OneJoined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2024 @570.43 »

Oh my goodness yes. I spend far too much looking at old sites on the wayback archive. Mourning for the great sites that closed when everyone ran off to facebook and whatever twitter is being called this week. I wasn't into forums very much, but there was one called Lifeless People. You could get free hosting and a free subdomain, for posting on the forum. There was a good, broad number of sections and it was a friendly place. I do miss it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

If you could suddenly be an expert at any one thing...

Started by NightdriftBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 20
Views: 3583
Last post December 09, 2023 @224.76
by krish
Your Favourite "Dead" Sites

Started by MemoryBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 20
Views: 2511
Last post October 12, 2023 @613.44
by myleszey
Using older tech

Started by JackFrostBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 45
Views: 5144
Last post August 10, 2024 @784.85
by caracalled

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi