Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @97.21 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 903.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Awesome video about Sonic and 2010s internet cringe culture/irony poisoning

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Awesome video about Sonic and 2010s internet cringe culture/irony poisoning  (Read 385 times)
Fish
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Creator of the most ok cuppa joe

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« on: June 13, 2024 @793.07 »

Just watched this video from youtuber Chaomix (go sub now!!!) and it really surprised me how much it perfectly talked about and summarized how the 2010s felt like online. This video was so good I think it can be applied to way more than just Sonic fans. I'm sure pretty much everyone, especially neurodivergent people, can relate to times where it felt like it was illegal to have any interests without it being buried under several layers of irony. If you ever said you liked something you had to make a self deprecating joke every two seconds so you wouldn't commit the crime of *gasp* being cringe (dramatic thunder sfx). Even offline, it feels like I sometimes have to downplay how much I like something so I don't come across as weird which sucks!

I feel like its starting to change in the 2020s a bit though. I mean a trailer dropped with Shadow the Hedgehog with wings, which is like the most early 2000s deivantart anime oc thing ever, and...tons of people like it! Because, c'mon that is just the coolest thing ever! Its that classic over the top but still so cool type of thing that the Sonic franchise is known for and its nice to see that type of energy come back after the 2010s being full of sonic games that just felt like they hated being sonic games. 

I'm still learning to just enjoy things without worrying about being "cringe". Its hard to unlearn that after doing that for so many years but it is a lot easier now more than ever  :seal:

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024 @808.17 »

Just watched this video from youtuber Chaomix (go sub now!!!) and it really surprised me how much it perfectly talked about and summarized how the 2010s felt like online. This video was so good I think it can be applied to way more than just Sonic fans. I'm sure pretty much everyone, especially neurodivergent people, can relate to times where it felt like it was illegal to have any interests without it being buried under several layers of irony. If you ever said you liked something you had to make a self deprecating joke every two seconds so you wouldn't commit the crime of *gasp* being cringe (dramatic thunder sfx). Even offline, it feels like I sometimes have to downplay how much I like something so I don't come across as weird which sucks!

I feel like its starting to change in the 2020s a bit though. I mean a trailer dropped with Shadow the Hedgehog with wings, which is like the most early 2000s deivantart anime oc thing ever, and...tons of people like it! Because, c'mon that is just the coolest thing ever! Its that classic over the top but still so cool type of thing that the Sonic franchise is known for and its nice to see that type of energy come back after the 2010s being full of sonic games that just felt like they hated being sonic games. 

I'm still learning to just enjoy things without worrying about being "cringe". Its hard to unlearn that after doing that for so many years but it is a lot easier now more than ever  :seal:

Bro i hate how people always make self deprecating meta jokes these days about their own passions instead of actually enjoying it. Also they made us have these super high standards for art where you couldnt use the circle tool, have colors on your fursona, or anything like that. If theres one channel i could say made those standards popular, it was Solar Sands and his deviantart critique videos. Id totally like to stop being ironic 24/7 and be 1:1 for once
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024 @810.37 by DiffydaDude » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024 @816.59 »

I'll have to give this a proper watch later; but as someone who grew up on the 2010s internet at the perfect mid teens age to be at the center of that era of web culture. Yes, the 2010s were appalling, and they are the reason why my sites are 90s and 00s themed. I've had to fight tooth and nail in everything Iv created online since then to unpick the disappointment of the 2010s web :tongue:

I think we've proven though, that it can be overcome and ultimately a web based around loving the things you love is not only possible, but incredibly powerful, and I really think that unfortunate moment on the web will largely be a footnote when they write the webs history books  :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Zunne
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Mmm... Ice Cream...

⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024 @949.99 »

For me, this was the dark year of the 2010s.

I wonder why i like ice cream so much?
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

Hanging out, havin' a punt

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024 @460.07 »

The 2010s were pure cyber chaos and honestly was an awful time for the internet, is the 2020s any better? I want to say it is but who knows what we'll all think in 2030!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ozwomp's Voyage in Cyberspace - Video Project

Started by MelooonBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 2218
Last post December 06, 2021 @791.33
by Melooon
Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 33
Views: 5125
Last post August 11, 2024 @952.67
by Phoenix
Iconic Video Game Songs [Player's Choice Award]

Started by NightdriftBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 24
Views: 5722
Last post March 21, 2024 @26.45
by konamiesque

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi