Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @348.87 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Guides on making those text-based games on the web?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Guides on making those text-based games on the web?  (Read 310 times)
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« on: June 19, 2024 @851.72 »

You've probably seen the games I mean. Torn and Pokefarm come to mind, and I had my own idea for one I wont share yet. However, the task sounds absolutely DAUNTING, as there's many aspects I feel im not accounting for (Multiplayer aspects / indepth mechanics / hosting)

So I want to know, are any of you on this forum experienced with their development? Or better yet, know of any resources in which I can use to get started?

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
Absentmind
Full Member ⚓︎

Torture me with sorcery

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Smashing Pumpkins Live June 2024 !First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024 @885.35 »

Honestly, I'd say the best person to ask would be the devs themselves, I'd try and find an email or contact link and email them asking, I'm sure they will tell you. However I'd say the Pokémon one is mainly HTML, CSS with JavaScript doing all the heavy lifting, including managing the database!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024 @958.52 »

Most Old text game sites evolved around the time PHP became popular - PHP is realllyyy good for this stuff because it basically allows you to make standard HTML pages that are different for everyone using them.

So the technical skills you need to know are HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL - You actually don't need JavaScript at all for these sorts of sites, but having would allow you to make things a bit fancier.  :pc:

There's a basic PHP guide here: https://www.w3schools.com/php/
Then you can move onto a basic account system: https://www.tutorialrepublic.com/php-tutorial/php-mysql-login-system.php

Once you know the basics, and once you've made an account system, you should actually have all the knowledge you need! Its all about inputs, outputs and storing things in your SQL database - Obvs start simple and work your way up, you'll learn a lot along the way and prob want to redo things a lot at the start!  :4u:

If you've never programed before don't worry, this is actually a perfect first project, its basically the sort of project they give you in first year CS courses ^^

As for hosting; you'd need a host that does PHP stuff - Neocities wont do that, but basically any regular host will (Don't pay more than $3 a month for hosting a basic site) - there might even be some free indie ones, but Im not aware of any off the top of my head!

An alternative (maybe more modern) approach would be to use pure Nose.Js, but that's waaayy more programing heavy and I actually don't think its the best rout unless you reaaalllyyy love programing  :tongue:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024 @551.84 »

So the technical skills you need to know are HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL - You actually don't need JavaScript at all for these sorts of sites, but having would allow you to make things a bit fancier.  :pc:

Good thing I know at least 2 of those! Ive got a starting point, and I apperciate your help with the links!! Will definitely give those a read!

If you've never programed before don't worry

and dont worry, I have programmed before but regardless I will be worried (one time I crashed my computer by adding an image to a game I was making in Godot because I programmed it to move 10 pixels to the right. I still don't know how that happened.)

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 60
Views: 8965
Last post September 27, 2024 @517.45
by candycanearter07
the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4926
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 39
Views: 16145
Last post October 04, 2024 @492.99
by Monoki

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi